Galaxy nexus only charges when phone is off and dosent when it is on!!!!! Help!!!!!!

gnexusgeek

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,so I have this galaxy nexus made by Samsung.2 nights ago I noticed that it wasnt charging so I tried different chargers and it still didnt work.so I turned it off and noticed that it said it was charging... It took 3-5 hours until it was fully charged,now it repeats the "battery symbol" and I have a feeling it just charge then off then charge and off..... Please help me :(

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Could you provide a little more background history please?

Are you stock or bootloader unlocked and rooted/custom ROM?

Have you tried another battery if you have one?

There are also some apps on the Google Play store that you can download for your battery to get more details to see the condition of your battery. I would start with the battery if we ruled out software as in (custom ROM) and make sure its healthy before moving onto a hardware issue.

Shahad Al Shammari

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,so I have this galaxy nexus made by Samsung.2 nights ago I noticed that it wasnt charging so I tried different chargers and it still didnt work.so I turned it off and noticed that it said it was charging... It took 3-5 hours until it was fully charged,now it repeats the "battery symbol" and I have a feeling it just charge then off then charge and off..... Please help me :(

I am having the same issue and it also started two days ago... I've use factor restore but same issue I've tried three chargers and two USB cables but failed... Then I have tried to play a bit with charger pin that's inside the phone now I can charge however the phone is still not recognized by any laptop I have although I didn's face this issue two days ago... My last hope is to root my phone.. Good luck

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issue and it also started two days ago... I've use factor restore but same issue I've tried three chargers and two USB cables but failed... Then I have tried to play a bit with charger pin that's inside the phone now I can charge however the phone is still not recognized by any laptop I have although I didn's face this issue two days ago... My last hope is to root my phone.. Good luck

Sounds like a bad USB port

pnut17

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Phone charges well if it has almost full charge, but has to be powered down to charge if under 20%.

Wife has same model, same problem, about same time.

Tried swapping out battery for an extended life I already had, and using different chargers. Seems to be same problem on all of them.

Wondering if Verizon pushed something a couple weeks ago to update, and accidentally introduced a bug.

jmgnole

Jun 8, 2010
www.jmgnole.com
I seem to be having the same issue. It gradually happened over the last few days. Stock, non rooted. Multiple chargers, same battery. Thanks for the info, folks. Knowing you're not the only one makes it a bit better.

Anev

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
My phone suddenly stopped being able to charge last night. I had it charging fine at work on the USB cable to my computer, same cable I've used for a year. Got home, plugged it into the cable I use there (which is connected to my computer) and it wouldn't charge or even be recognized by the USB on the computer. I ignored it. When I went to bed I plugged it into the dedicated power supply that came with the phone, the same one I use every night to let it charge. It wouldn't charge. As soon as I powered off the phone it would charge but if I turned the phone on (with or without it being plugged in) it wouldn't charge and acted like there was no cable present.

I'ved tried this on three computers, with the original power cable and charger along with the charger for the car. All of which have worked fine since I got the phone. It's like it is partially working but something has suddenly disabled the charging? I haven't done any updates nor done any other changes to the phone. The connectors look fine, no bent pins that I can see.

EDIT: On the XDA forum someone mentioned trying to push the USB connector up a tiny bit as it gets bent down and starts to touch the metal casing inside. I did this and now the phone has returned back to normal. xda-developers - View Single Post - Galaxy Nexus Won't Charge

Last edited:

missymssy

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I have this same issue. I followed Anev's suggestion, then realized it was the USB connector how could it charge when it's off? I also noticed there is nothing about battery when you first turn screen on. It used to say "charging" or a % or "plug in charger". None of that.

Has anyone resolved this?

jmgnole

Jun 8, 2010
www.jmgnole.com
I solved it by buying a new GNex from Mobile PC. The difference is remarkable. My problem had to be the USB port. Wouldn't charge, when it did, it didn't last as long as before...

nads2

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
yall got a flat head to work? im having that same problem. my SGN wont charge when turned on, but will charge when i power it off. i have had 4 chargers and 3 phones replaced in the past year for same inssue. so frustrated. tried to push that pin up, but cant get the flat head in there. tried a butter knife too, still not thin enough. :/

Oli Boober

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Wow... no. no. no. no!!!
I can't believe this worked!! I used the Pin-up method on a nexus 7 that had similar faults and now it charges while on! Thank you soooo much!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy