Help Please..Can't save APN settings

fish3d

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi All and thanks in advance. I'm a total newbie and need help. I have Straight Talk and am on the ATT system (sim card). There are new APN settings.
After I input the following in the Access Point Names :
Name = Straight Talk
APN = att.mvno
MMSC =http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy=66.209.11.33
MMS port= 80
MCC =310
MNC= 410

I was told a menu was supossed to appear but all i get is the overflow button (the three dots) . They say save or discard. I hit the save but it doesn't save them.
I have had the phone for 9 months and never had a problem until today when I lost my mobil signal. The wireless works.
HELP PLEASE

khan_orak

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi All and thanks in advance. I'm a total newbie and need help. I have Straight Talk and am on the ATT system (sim card). There are new APN settings.
After I input the following in the Access Point Names :
Name = Straight Talk
APN = att.mvno
MMSC =http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy=66.209.11.33
MMS port= 80
MCC =310
MNC= 410

I was told a menu was supossed to appear but all i get is the overflow button (the three dots) . They say save or discard. I hit the save but it doesn't save them.
I have had the phone for 9 months and never had a problem until today when I lost my mobil signal. The wireless works.
HELP PLEASE

Yeah well, I had a fluke and it worked.

When you ADD VPN, first of all give it a random name and not your Telco's name. For example, slkjdjflskdjhfkljs This :p .. don't add any more settings and Then press back button and save it. It should appear in the list. You can then edit it to add more settings.

cross_xtz

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
SOLUTION for can't save APN settings:
For me the solution was to shut down the tab and turn it on again.
After this all the New APN settings I had previously entered appeared, I just selected a proper one from the list and all was ok.

I had the issue on a fujitsu M 325 3g Tab

What didn't work:
Updating android and firmware
Inserting a bogus "xysdadasd" config

iBeSTG

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah well, I had a fluke and it worked.

When you ADD VPN, first of all give it a random name and not your Telco's name. For example, slkjdjflskdjhfkljs This :p .. don't add any more settings and Then press back button and save it. It should appear in the list. You can then edit it to add more settings.

This worked for me, but sadly my Data Plan still not working cause I probably don't have the right setting number :mad: But thanks though! :D

rodmur

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I have Nexus 5x and trying to enter an alternate APN for my carrier but currently this technique appears to might work, I do just the first couple of settings, it saves. But then I go back in and try to save more settings and it will disappear. Rather frustrating.

rodmur

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I have Nexus 5x and trying to enter an alternate APN for my carrier but currently this technique appears to might work, I do just the first couple of settings, it saves. But then I go back in and try to save more settings and it will disappear. Rather frustrating.

I solved my problem, I just had to go back to carrier to make sure my phone was properly activated. It wasn't.

Rocketeer123

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Top Tip: Disable WiFi and Bluetooth when you are doing the APN setup. This will force the device to use the phone network to check the APN credentials. This could save you a lot of time and lost hair trying to work out why it is not working.

JottV

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
Top Tip: Disable WiFi and Bluetooth when you are doing the APN setup. This will force the device to use the phone network to check the APN credentials. This could save you a lot of time and lost hair trying to work out why it is not working.

Oh you saved me. Had this problem on my HTC U11 dual sim: After installation of the recent Oreo update, the APN of the second SIM was dropped. Adding the APN manually or via MMS was not possible (did not save / show in list, as described in OP).

After cutting the phone completely off the web, which meant deactivating SIM 1 as well, the settings app crashed when trying to add an APN for SIM 2, but after that, I was able to save the APN.

Unfortunately, whenever I switch network back to SIM 1, the bug reappears. Thus, switching between SIMs now means:

- Disable SIM1 and all networks
- Go to APN list of SIM 2, wait for crash
- Go to APN list again and add correct APN

Still better than a wipe..

Kelvets

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I found out what was causing the settings to fail to save was changing either the “MCC” or “MNC” fields of the APN settings. So I didn’t change those from the default value and the APN still worked.

stacyknutson

Aug 18, 2022
Visit site
I found out what was causing the settings to fail to save was changing either the “MCC” or “MNC” fields of the APN settings. So I didn’t change those from the default value and the APN still worked.

Thank you for posting this! I just got a new phone and was having this issue all over again (I had it the last time I switched wireless providers which was about a year ago, and I never really fully figured it out). This completely fixed the issue for me. I have made a note of this so I will know how to fix it when it happens again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for posting this! I just got a new phone and was having this issue all over again (I had it the last time I switched wireless providers which was about a year ago, and I never really fully figured it out). This completely fixed the issue for me. I have made a note of this so I will know how to fix it when it happens again.

Welcome to AC!
Glad this thread helped you out