Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By return_0
  • 1 Post By AndrewMelder
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android 4.4 Kit Kat

Does anyone have info on whether the galaxy nexus will update to android 4.4?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Android 4.4 Kit Kat

You'd imagine because of the specs of the moto x but keep in mind upon release of the new nexus we may lose support on the galaxy nexus

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Let's hope it is not dead meat yet...

beamed 2u from my GNex
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

If the Galaxy Nexus does not get updated it would be like the iPhone 4s not getting iOS 7. To me that would tarnish the nexus line to a degree. I am expecting an update tho, the phone still runs great.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

It will absolutely get the 4.4. update if the criteria are if its capable...The Cpu and Gpu are not far behind the Moto X which is also a dual core.

CPU Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9
    GPU PowerVR SGX540
    1GB RAM

This is more than enough horsepower. My GN runs 4.3 as well as it ran its original OS 4.0. It may not run new games very well, but Google isn't going to base their upgrade path on that.

Google has a lot less reason to not upgrade phones then the carriers.

We will get it, have faith. I barely care other than to have it as my new backup phone. Its absolutely time for an upgrade.

On the other hand does it matter? XDA will have a 4.4 ROM up for the GN within a month...and probably a lot faster...
    Last edited by Chex313; 09-08-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
    Thanked by:
    JFH8 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I think you are right that the Galaxy nexus has the hardware to run 4.4. What worries me is they already cut off support for the nexus s.

The Nexus S started with gingerbread, then ICS, then Jellybean up to 4.1.2. If Google stays true to that then the GNEX started at ICS, then JB, Lastly should be 4.4 KitKat. I hope this is what happens with the GNEX. the only thing the GNEX has going against it is the 1GB of ram in my opinion because a lot of phones including the Moto X have dual core processors. I doubt the X8 chip in the X really matters as much in the OS updates since it is the only OEM that has that feature. Then again I could be completely wrong
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I think it's time for us hardcore galaxy nexus users to upgrade.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Just noticed my friends iphone 5 has google now, that you can swipe from the left to access with "ok google" voice search. How comes the same implementation is not there in the GNEX it''s very disappointing that google would put aside their own device, but update their competitors.

Download the apk.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

The Galaxy Nexus won't be getting the 4.4 update mainly because of its processor. While it is powerful enough to handle 4.4, it is made by TI, who dropped out of the mobile CPU market and thus no longer supports their processors. Essentially, it isn't Google's fault that the GNex won't be getting the update; I'm sure they would update it if they could. Keep in mind that the GNex still got more major updates (three) than the Nexus One and Nexus S (each got two).
    Thanked by:

Yes it uses a TI chip but Google still manage to support that processor family in Google Glass.

Fact is, Google very easily could have made 4.4 for the Galaxy Nexus but chose not to.
    Pollster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMelder View Post
    Yes it uses a TI chip but Google still manage to support that processor family in Google Glass.

Fact is, Google very easily could have made 4.4 for the Galaxy Nexus but chose not to.
    They need assistance from TI to update the kernel. Manufacturers generally do that coding.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    They need assistance from TI to update the kernel. Manufacturers generally do that coding.
    Google has a strict 18 month update policy. TI released updated drivers. The GNex is just a bit to old.

But there are some 4.4 ROMs out there. Without anyone utilizing those drivers graphical glitches will continue and there are reboots and they're having to use old vendor files, binaries etc but its something!

My Verizon GNex is making an excellent chromecast/media player for the house. And the battery is 10x better with no SIM or LTE radios.
    Phone: LG G2, Nexus 4
    Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013), Xoom
    Retired: Blackberry Storm and 2, Droid X and X2, Galaxy Nexus