1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Still no possibility to update to Android 4.3 with my Galaxy Nexus

Hi,

I've been wondering why my Galaxy Nexus is still running on Android 4.2.1 up to today.
    My friend, who has exactly the same phone (he bought his about 6 months before mine), had the 4.3 update already three months ago.
    I've been looking on the internet, and everything I tried so far failed.

I'm living in Belgium, I hope that has nothing to do with it...because our government is always way behind on everything...maybe that's why the updates aren't coming as well )

I hope somebody has a logical explanation for this problem, or maybe even a solution that can fix this.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
    Fre

Default Re: Still no possibility to update to Android 4.3 with my Galaxy Nexus

Have you tried to force the update by checking thru Settings/About/

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, I tried this several times...and so far nothing happens.

Also tried several times going to Apps/Google Services Framework --> Stop now --> clear data --> restart phone --> check again for updates.
    Nothing has happened in the past months.

I'm getting a little bit frustrated and desperate

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh_ve View Post
    I've been wondering why my Galaxy Nexus is still running on Android 4.2.1 up to today.
    I noticed you said Android 4.2.1

According to page the only Galaxy Nexus that has official 4.2.1 is the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

The GSM versions are as follows.

"takju" which has Google Wallet has official 4.0.4, 4.1.2, 4.2.2 & 4.3

"yakju" which DOESN'T have Wallet has official 4.0.4, 4.1.2, 4.2.2 & 4.3

So I'm guessing you made a mistake in version numbers of Android or your running a custom ROM that is based on 4.2.1?
    Paul

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well, I double checked and I'm definetly running Android 4.2.1 at the moment.

So I suppose I must have the Sprint version of Galaxy Nexus...

Factory Images "mysidspr" for Galaxy Nexus "toroplus" (Sprint CDMA/LTE)
    Android 4.1.1 (FH05)
    Android 4.2.1 (GA02)

Does this mean that they are not going to release 4.3 for my model?
    That would really be a bummer:/

The part about the custom ROM I didn't follow completely...after looking up what it meant I want to ask the following question:
    Is it possible to change to a custom ROM that is based on a Android 4.3? (does this question make any sense?:/)

Already thanks for your previous explanation!

The Sprint Galaxy Nexus I'm not sure about getting 4.3 seeing how its still left behind on 4.2.1

Can you take a screenshot of your About Screen showing your baseband/build number, etc? Then I can see exactly which model of Galaxy Nexus you have.
    Paul

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Still no possibility to update to Android 4.3 with my Galaxy Nexus-screenshot_2013-10-10-16-14-52.png

I hope the above screenshot gives you the desired information...

Hmmm... I think I found your phone listed here with 4.2.1:
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Yes it did, thanks.

According to that you have the "yakju" GSM Google Nexus. Google must have removed 4.2.1 from the Factory Image list at some point but your correct you should have 4.3 with that device.

I see two options...

1. You could attempt to update it manually by locating and finding the zip file used in the OTA update. In your case you would have to find the 4.2.2 update first in order for it to work.

2. Unlock your bootloader and manually flash the device using those factory images I pointed out to update it. This however will wipe your device in doing so.
    Paul

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Ok, thanks for clearing this out!

So I should be able to get to 4.3 with my model.

Would it be an option to restore my phone to factory settings?

Concerning the options you suggested:
    1. I really don't have a clue how I would be able to locate the zip file of the 4.2.2 update I'm not really familiar with those things.
    2. Should I be aware of certain risks when doing this?

Thanks again for helping me out!

With regards,
    Fre

I think the flashing of the factory images is your best bet at this point.

Got a thread for you to read... Do your homework and ask questions if need help.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1992938

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Paul

Hey I have the same problem and I can't seem to get this working.
    I followed the guide step by step but when I have to prompt "fastboot devices" my computer doesn't recognize the command "fastboot".
    I also saw them speaking of Ubuntu, so is it possible this guide is not working for windows?

I really would like to get my phone to 4.3 again like I had it before it got repaired and I got it back with 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by JBuijs View Post
    Hey I have the same problem and I can't seem to get this working.
    I followed the guide step by step but when I have to prompt "fastboot devices" my computer doesn't recognize the command "fastboot".
    I also saw them speaking of Ubuntu, so is it possible this guide is not working for windows?

I really would like to get my phone to 4.3 again like I had it before it got repaired and I got it back with 4.0
    Fastboot will work either from Windows or Linux (Ubuntu). The command lines a just a tad different but I believe the guide we have here shows both ways.
    Paul