Google: Samsung Galaxy Nexus won't get updated to Android 4.4 KitKat

timehat

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Especially disappointing when the announcements say it should run great on lower-powered devices with less RAM (Chrome + Android 4.2 on my GNEX was a huge fail for me--I went back to 4.1).

I've been pretty disappointed with owning a Galaxy Nexus since around the time the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 came out. As soon as those came out/while they were in development, Google seemed to decide that the Galaxy Nexus didn't matter anymore. Perhaps increased by some sort of falling out with Samsung, issues working with Verizon, etc. Android 4 released on it, it was first for 4.1 (which was a huge performance/project butter refinement for the phone). But with 4.2 onwards, the Galaxy Nexus was definitely an afterthought. Performance was shot.

Contrast this to Apple. While their devices might lose some performance with new OS versions, etc., they at least continue to get updates and the owners don't feel entirely slighted by Apple (well, no more so than any Apple user should feel :p). I love the community of Android and in my opinion, the better overall UX and freedom of the platform, but I feel like an Android fan without a place to enjoy it. If I get a non-Nexus phone, I have to deal with the crapware/ugly skins. If I get a Nexus phone, I know Google/device manufacturer only cares about me until the next flagship device comes out. Who knows what the long term support for the Google Play edition devices will be...

I wish Google would just go all in with Motorola and do this aspect of the Android ecosystem the right way...

arcadelion

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Major bummer, but the GNexus had a nice run with updates. Jelly Bean made it feel like a whole new phone. I've since left my GNexus for the Note 3 earlier this month, but I still keep my GNexus charged up. :)

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
While I plan in upgrading soon anyway from the gnex, I think Google is ending the update cycle just a bit too early. They should update these phones for 3 years especially since 4.4 can run on 512mb.

Posted via Android Central App

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So there claiming(Google) that Texas Instruments isn't available to help with the update. How does Ubuntu support the phone is my question? Or will they drop it to?

Tanner Hoyt

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I think Google missed a huge opportunity with this. They could have updated the Galaxy Nexus to show off KitKat on older devices. Instead, they say they aren't updating it just because it falls outside their 18 month update window. I wasn't even aware of this update window until yesterday.

I was planning on getting the Nexus 5, but I can't justify paying $350 for a phone that won't even get two years of updates. I'm very disappointed in Google.

Marknumskull

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Really sucks, I was hoping the gnex would have had a lifespan up to android 5, I don't think Google have done themselves any favours here with user trust. This 1.5 year update period, pretty sure they have just made that rule up, never heard that before! Certainly none of their devices have had a notice stating 1.5 year updates.

Posted via Android Central App

gumpty

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I was planning on getting the Nexus 5, but I can't justify paying $350 for a phone that won't even get two years of updates. I'm very disappointed in Google.

Which android phone, at any price, gets two years OS updates?

Posted via AC App on G Tab 10.1 running CM10.1

Rahabib

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
18 mo. is too short. For now, it doesn't appear 4.4 is a huge step forward, so 4.3 should last for a good while still. As long as apps still work fine.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
For starters, Google can't directly update the Verizon/Sprint GNex, as the update has to be pre-authorized, prior to being released to the phone.

The GNex was released, in December, of 2011. It's November, of 2013. How feasible is it, to keep updating a phone that people are possibly not even using anymore?

I can understand the frustration. I had the GPE GNex, and it was a very capable handset. But, it's been, basically, two years. It's time to move on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz