Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    Hi all,
    After the I read about Galaxy Nexus not receiving the KitKat, I've decided to flash a Custom Rom (my first time ever..).
    I've done some research of my own, and I think I've understood the process of flashing a rom and the gapps after it...

    I read about some of the most popular roms out there. I was suggested to flash Pac man, but I read that it won't give me good battery life.
    After a lot of reading, I've come up with either flashing Paranoid Android or Carbon.
    Now, all that's left is that I need suggestions from the professionals, about which one to go for. Battery life is important to me... I need it to last at least the day for me (morning - late evening/ early night).

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    25,681 Posts
    Global Posts
    26,124 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by AMKhatri View Post
    Hi all,
    After the I read about Galaxy Nexus not receiving the KitKat, I've decided to flash a Custom Rom (my first time ever..).
    I've done some research of my own, and I think I've understood the process of flashing a rom and the gapps after it...

    I read about some of the most popular roms out there. I was suggested to flash Pac man, but I read that it won't give me good battery life.
    After a lot of reading, I've come up with either flashing Paranoid Android or Carbon.
    Now, all that's left is that I need suggestions from the professionals, about which one to go for. Battery life is important to me... I need it to last at least the day for me (morning - late evening/ early night).

    Thanks!
    I would actually suggest AOKP, or Slim.
    AOKP: AOKP.co: Devices
    SlimROM: Supported Devices
    ‚Äč
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. #3  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    +1 for Slim

    Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan



    Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    At one point I did consider going for Slim bean, but the reason I didn't choose it is because I wanted a few features including the Full screen feature, which If I read correctly it doesn't have,,
    My reason for not going with AOKP, is because it doesn't have pie controls, from what I've read...
    Also, Carbon has most of the features that I'm looking for, and it's blazing fast..
    That's why I came down to the either Carbon/ PA
  5. #5  
    snppr22's Avatar

    Posts
    218 Posts
    ROM
    GummyNex/IMO's LeanKernel

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    I'm partial to AOKP. I ran it on my Galaxy Nexus. Recently it hasn't seen many updates for the d2vzw and when it does they are a bit buggy. Not sure if the issues are the same. Carbon is running like a dream for me since I installed it today.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Question Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    Thanks for the reply all,
    I needed a few suggestions, and I got 'em.
    I don't wanna turn this thread into one of those X rom vs Y rom threads, if you know what I mean...


    One more thing..
    A few months back, whilst I was transferring some data from pc to phone (via usb cable), something went wrong (can't remember what..) and all of my data was lost (system files remained intact), since then my GNex has been showing that the data exists somewhere, because according to me space is occupied...

    Code:
    Total Space - 13.33GB
    Available - 7.05GB
    Apps - 1.57GB
    Misc.(mostly my audio files) - 2.32GB 
    Cached Data - 171MB
    [The rest are all less than 40mb]
    When I add all of that up, it's about 3GB +/-
    and it says that almost 6GB is used..
    Before the problem occured I had around 3GB of data as well..
    I've tried a few solutions, including looking for my files with root explorer, rescan sd card manually.. etc
    is is possible to do something like a format of my sd card before I flash a rom?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by AMKhatri View Post
    Thanks for the reply all,
    I needed a few suggestions, and I got 'em.
    I don't wanna turn this thread into one of those X rom vs Y rom threads, if you know what I mean...
    2.32 + 1.57 + 0.17 = about 4GB so you're only missing about 2 GB.
    Yes, you can format your SD card either on the phone or on your computer if you have a MicroSD adapter

    One more thing..
    A few months back, whilst I was transferring some data from pc to phone (via usb cable), something went wrong (can't remember what..) and all of my data was lost (system files remained intact), since then my GNex has been showing that the data exists somewhere, because according to me space is occupied...

    Code:
    Total Space - 13.33GB
    Available - 7.05GB
    Apps - 1.57GB
    Misc.(mostly my audio files) - 2.32GB 
    Cached Data - 171MB
    [The rest are all less than 40mb]
    When I add all of that up, it's about 3GB +/-
    and it says that almost 6GB is used..
    Before the problem occured I had around 3GB of data as well..
    I've tried a few solutions, including looking for my files with root explorer, rescan sd card manually.. etc
    is is possible to do something like a format of my sd card before I flash a rom?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    EDIT: Ignore this post!
    [sorry...]
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yes, you can format your SD card either on the phone or on your computer if you have a MicroSD adapter
    How would I do it?

    PS: I'm currently running stock 4.3 JB, Unlocked bootloader, & Rooted

    1. Plain and Simple:- Flash Stock JB 4.3 ROM?

    Or This:

    2. Recovery ...etc...:
    - Boot into Recovery,
    - Go to mounts & Storage,
    - wipe sd card.

    Then what? Because, If I get this correctly, After doing the above... I won't have anything on my sd card... and I'll need to flash a rom again.. and I won't be having CWM anymore, right?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by AMKhatri View Post
    How would I do it?

    PS: I'm currently running stock 4.3 JB, Unlocked bootloader, & Rooted

    1. Plain and Simple:- Flash Stock JB 4.3 ROM?

    Or This:

    2. Recovery ...etc...:
    - Boot into Recovery,
    - Go to mounts & Storage,
    - wipe sd card.

    Then what? Because, If I get this correctly, After doing the above... I won't have anything on my sd card... and I'll need to flash a rom again.. and I won't be having CWM anymore, right?
    Err, if you're trying to format your SD card you don't need to boot into recovery. All it does is delete everything on the SD card, is that what you're trying to do?
    And no, wiping the phone will not get rid of CWM, you'd need to flash the stock recovery to get rid of it
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Err, if you're trying to format your SD card you don't need to boot into recovery. All it does is delete everything on the SD card, is that what you're trying to do?
    And no, wiping the phone will not get rid of CWM, you'd need to flash the stock recovery to get rid of it
    Oh.k. Thanks!
    Then, I'm gonna flash stock... which would make my phone as good as new ( almost anyway... ), After which I'll... Root (if need be), copy my data back to my sd card + rom & gapps, install cwm, flash carbon, flash gapps.

    Is it ok to uninstall a single gapp after flashing the whole zip, instead of modifying the package before flashing it (As I don't use some of the gapps?
  12. #12  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by AMKhatri View Post
    Oh.k. Thanks!
    Then, I'm gonna flash stock... which would make my phone as good as new ( almost anyway... ), After which I'll... Root (if need be), copy my data back to my sd card + rom & gapps, install cwm, flash carbon, flash gapps.

    Is it ok to uninstall a single gapp after flashing the whole zip, instead of modifying the package before flashing it (As I don't use some of the gapps?
    I'm not sure but you can freeze them

    Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan



    Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I'm not sure but you can freeze them
    Ok. Thanks for the input all..
    I've just successfully flashed my first Custom Rom... (i.e. Carbon),
    I gotta agree with everything that I've read about this ROM.. blazing fast

    Regarding the storage free space issue I mentioned earlier:
    Code:
    Now or Carbon:
    Available - 12.20 GB
    Apps etc.. - 94.86 MB
    Misc - 327 MB
    Misc are my audio files..
    I haven't installed any of my apps, yet.

    I think I know what the extra space was being taken up by..

    Right after I flashed Stock.. I checked.. I had 12.9 GB free space..
    I went on to perform a Nandroid backup, and then when I checked it was down to 12.7/6 GB, and most surprisingly... There was no nandroid backup file created.
    Anyways, I just proceeded to flash Carbon after that..

    Once again Guys.. Thanks a ton!!
  14. #14  

    Default Re: First Time To Flash A Custom Rom, Need Suggestions!

    No problem

Similar Threads

  1. Screen cracked, need advice
    By Mark Brehaut in forum Verizon LG G2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-13-2013, 11:29 PM
  2. Can I port my number to a Gophone SIM without a phone?
    By JavarisJamarJavarisonLamar in forum AT&T
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 07:19 AM
  3. Reception compared to other phones?
    By painnpanic in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions