Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  • 3 Post By wizzrah
  • 2 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Deployment Tablet

I will be going to afghanistan soon and would like to know if a galaxy tab is the right thing to get. I would like a tab but what I've read is there is no way to transfer files from an ext hd to the device. This is an accessory I need because I will not have internet access to ger on a cloud. Any sugestions?

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: Deployment Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Led View Post
    I will be going to afghanistan soon and would like to know if a galaxy tab is the right thing to get. I would like a tab but what I've read is there is no way to transfer files from an ext hd to the device. This is an accessory I need because I will not have internet access to ger on a cloud. Any sugestions?
    Have you considered a Nexus 7? And by "ext hd" do you mean an actual physical external hard drive?
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have a western digital 750g hd that I load with movies and music for deployments. I haven't looked at the nexus I have a galaxy s3 and figured I would look at the tablet first. Can I also do Microsoft office on a nexus?

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

I have a western digital 750g hd that I load with movies and music for deployments. I haven't looked at the nexus I have a galaxy s3 and figured I would look at the tablet first. Can I also do Microsoft office on a nexus?
    No but there is kingsoft office which does the same thing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

To use the hd, you might need an external power source and a OTG USB cable like this one or similar to it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00871...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

I suggest you look into windows 8 tablets because the hard drive is more likely to work on those types of tablets.

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Also, thank you for serving our country bro

Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

Global Posts
    13,853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Also, thank you for serving our country bro

+1 Million to wizzrah. OP, stay safe, and thank you for serving our great country!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by 2:
    UJ95xwizzrah 

My recommendation would be the Nexus 7, or a Windows-powered tablet that has USB 3.0 (if you can find such tablets within your price range). The additional speed might be of noticeable benefit if you're dealing with large media files.

Have you considered something like the ? If you already have a drive that is USB-powered, it may work with a USB OTG cable. I know for certain that 2.5" drives up to 500GB will work, but beyond that I can't say.

Some apps allow read access of drives, but for full control you'll want to unlock and root the tablet, which is a fairly simple task for Nexus tablets.
    Golfdriver97 and wizzrah like this.

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    My recommendation would be the Nexus 7, or a Windows-powered tablet that has USB 3.0 (if you can find such tablets within your price range). The additional speed might be of noticeable benefit if you're dealing with large media files.

Have you considered something like the ? If you already have a drive that is USB-powered, it may work with a USB OTG cable. I know for certain that 2.5" drives up to 500GB will work, but beyond that I can't say.

Some apps allow read access of drives, but for full control you'll want to unlock and root the tablet, which is a fairly simple task for Nexus tablets.
    He can download ES File Explorer and read the Hard Drive. I've done it with a 1tb hard drive on my phone before.

Etisalat and roshan are pretty widespread these days (I got 2+ Mbps up around bagram and Kabul supposedly has LTE service now).

The service down near leatherneck kind of sucks though. Where are you going to be?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

And to answer your question a windows tablet (e.g. surface 2) is intended to and can easily transfer data to and from an external device. If it were me, I would probably bring one of those with me.

In 2011 in Afghanistan I brought a 11" macbook air along and I think it was a better choice than a tablet then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks for all the suggestions people. I think windows is the way to go.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Thanks for all the suggestions people. I think windows is the way to go.

Posted via Android Central App
    Good luck! And yes, Windows is the way to go in your case.