robot dies with red triangle when restarting from 4.2 install on stock Samsung Galaxy Nexus

esquishems

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.2.1 and it broke. My insurance replaced it, so I have a new Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.0.2. When I first got the phone, it updated from like 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 to 4.0.2, but that's all that has showed up. Since then, the new phone doesn't show that any system updates are available and shows "Last checked for updates" as the current time, but then it starts downloading a 41.2 MB "Android System Update", which I assume is Jelly Bean. When it is finished and I hit restart, it shows the green robot guy standing up with a blue thing spinning in his chest, but then it changes to him laying down with a red caution triangle and exclamation point over his chest, and then it starts up, still in 4.0.

I am in Canada on Mobilicity, but I *know* this phone/provider combo has an official 4.2 because it automatically downloaded on my old phone last spring. Both that one and this one are completely stock and have never been rooted.

I tried clearing the cache and force stopping Google Services Framework, as suggested in another thread, but that didn't change anything.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.2.1 and it broke. My insurance replaced it, so I have a new Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.0.2. When I first got the phone, it updated from like 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 to 4.0.2, but that's all that has showed up. Since then, the new phone doesn't show that any system updates are available and shows "Last checked for updates" as the current time, but then it starts downloading a 41.2 MB "Android System Update", which I assume is Jelly Bean. When it is finished and I hit restart, it shows the green robot guy standing up with a blue thing spinning in his chest, but then it changes to him laying down with a red caution triangle and exclamation point over his chest, and then it starts up, still in 4.0.

I am in Canada on Mobilicity, but I *know* this phone/provider combo has an official 4.2 because it automatically downloaded on my old phone last spring. Both that one and this one are completely stock and have never been rooted.

I tried clearing the cache and force stopping Google Services Framework, as suggested in another thread, but that didn't change anything.

Welcome to the forums.
Let me see if I can get some help.

esquishems

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I tried a factory reset and then checked system updates again. It said there were no updates (it was running 4.0.2) so I force stopped Google Framework Services and then checked system updates. That same update showed up and when I tried to download it I still got the normal upgrade robot for a second and then the dead robot. I have no idea what to do; I've searched and searched and I can't find anything about stock Androids doing this!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried a factory reset and then checked system updates again. It said there were no updates (it was running 4.0.2) so I force stopped Google Framework Services and then checked system updates. That same update showed up and when I tried to download it I still got the normal upgrade robot for a second and then the dead robot. I have no idea what to do; I've searched and searched and I can't find anything about stock Androids doing this!

You can try looking up how to flash stock ROMs for the nexus. That might help. YouTube might have a few videos on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

esquishems

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for letting me know that! I think I'm not seeing the right videos then, because all the ones that I'm finding are either for rooted phones, or they warn in the disclaimer that following the directions will void the warranty. Do you happen to know of a place I can get directions?

esquishems

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I did see that one, but in the video description it says you can permanently brick your phone if you use the wrong factory image. Is this always a risk? Am I being overly cautious if that freaks me out?

Thanks for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze