Would Android be this interesting platform if there is no Touchwiz or Cyanogen ?

mehatha33

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I know it hurts many Nexus users but it wouldn't be this interesting at all.

Assume every phone runs pure(stock , vanilla) android version it would be boring, every phone has same os , the concept of customizability of android will be defeated
Yaa , I know there will direct updates , no bloatware, no lag , blah blah ........
Can nexus owners remove that Google search bar on HOME screen(without rooting)?
Can you uninstall google apps(That are pre installed like Google +,Gmail, ...... )?

Accept it many Samsung features came to vanilla Android including recent Multi-Window support.
When it comes to Cyanogen , every new customizable feature comes from there.
Please share your opinions too.

It is my pure opinion and really not intended to hurt nexus users. And If I am wrong about anything please enlighten me.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree that customization is one of Android's major strengths, and the ability to root and install custom ROMs like CM is a powerful way of customization. The issue with TouchWiz and other OEM launchers is that they often come with lots of bloat that can't be removed. Of course, you can always install 3rd party launchers, but the inability to uninstall the bloat (short of rooting) can be frustrating, especially if the phone doesn't have a lot of Internal Storage.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The other thing to keep in mind is that Nexus users don't have to use the stock Google Launcher. I'm using Nova.

You asked, "Can nexus owners remove that Google search bar on HOME screen(without rooting)?" The answer is yes. I'm using a Nexus device that is not rooted. I don't have a Google search bar on my home screen.

0033701da531b10a0e0bbc4396a3bd13.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I would be inclined to agree. Different widgets, folder set ups, launchers, and icon packs would still give some identity to devices.
Just adding a launcher can add several new customization options, without the addition of rooting and flashing a ROM.

As for removing apps, you can disable almost all of the Google ones on a Nexus. Samsung or LG on the other hand, disabling without the aid of an app would be a dream.

Something to consider is this: Android has come a long way since it's earlier days. My first phone was a Galaxy S2 and had 2.3 Gingerbread on it. Even disabling apps wasn't possible without root.

Edit: Conversely, having different iterations of the same version of Android sometimes makes things more difficult. I have had several times where I suggest a course of action for a fix, and the reply is, 'It's not there, I don't see anything' due to Samsung, HTC or even Cyanogen changing the overall layout of settings.

Last edited:

mehatha33

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I agree that Samsung has tons of bloatware , but you can only disable apps not uninstall , you were never given that option to uninstall (which I think is bloatware).
Didn't multiple screen came from Samsung(Don't say it came from windows pc)?
Didn't Samsung added edge capabilities (new kind of interaction), may be a future nexus may have it?
Didn't Samsung really introduced the juice of phablets and stylus to Android?
Ya settings layout may not be changed due to these but there are some other factors which make this android we are enjoying

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree that Samsung has tons of bloatware , but you can only disable apps not uninstall , you were never given that option to uninstall (which I think is bloatware).
Didn't multiple screen came from Samsung(Don't say it came from windows pc)?
Didn't Samsung added edge capabilities (new kind of interaction), may be a future nexus may have it?
Didn't Samsung really introduced the juice of phablets and stylus to Android?
Ya settings layout may not be changed due to these but there are some other factors which make this android we are enjoying
I'm not saying that Samsung, LG, HTC, and Moto haven't contributed good ideas to the OS; far from it. Your base question is 'would Android be as interesting without those iterations of Android or CM'. My answer is yes, I think it would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2