My First 24 Hours with the Revue and Google TV

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
First Impression - Lots of potential. Glad I paid $99, not $249 or $299.

Things I like:
1) Easy Setup - It found all my devices. Much easier than programming an Universal Remote.
2) Includes Keyboard. Nice feature, plus it makes setup easier.
3) Netflix - Works Perfectly
4) Amazon VOD - Nice to get extra value out of my Prime Membership
5) Chrome Browser and Youtube - Works Great
6) Google TV App - AWESOME. I am using it on my D1 and Acer A500. Voice search is neat.
7) Good IR Range - I didn't need to use the included IR blaster.

Things that need to be improved or added
1) Needs Market Support - Its coming. I can think a few cool apps specially for GTV.
2) Slingbox like feature
3) Logitech Harmony App SUCKS! It works, but is very basic.
4) Hulu Support
5) Keyboard Short Cuts. I would love to be able to long hold the D key on my keyboard to tune to the Discovery Chanel.

Overall, I am very happy with it and am looking forward to the Honeycomb update. I hope the Logitech hardware will be able to handle it.

Reactions: ddpacino

ddpacino

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Things I like:
1) Easy Setup - It found all my devices. Much easier than programming an Universal Remote.
6) Google TV App - AWESOME. I am using it on my D1 and Acer A500. Voice search is neat.

1) Needs Market Support - Its coming. I can think a few cool apps specially for GTV.
2) Slingbox like feature
4) Hulu Support
5) Keyboard Short Cuts. I would love to be able to long hold the D key on my keyboard to tune to the Discovery Chanel.

Overall, I am very happy with it and am looking forward to the Honeycomb update. I hope the Logitech hardware will be able to handle it.
Thank you for sharing. Not at $99, I think I'll take the plunge and ty it out. Even if it's half-baked right now, I think I can enjoy it, and make great use of it. I just dont want to use a large keyboard.

Can you type and search from the Google TV app for Android? I'd rather use that than the keyboard.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Can you type and search from the Google TV app for Android? I'd rather use that than the keyboard.

Yes - The keyboard is the same as you would use on the phone. I did notice FlexT9 did not work correctly using the Google TV App though. I had to switch to a normal keyboard.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I am currently looking into this since its now $99. I have one question for you guys... what would i use this for? Here is what I currently have. 2 PS3's which I play online games a lot, FIOS TV with HD DVR and I watch a lot of football ( NFL) My wife watches the typical Oxygen, Bravo channels. So where would the GTV fit in there? Or how would it be used? Please advice .:cool:

UndergroundWire

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Things I like:

2) Slingbox like feature
4) Hulu Support

Netflix could use an update. For one, I use my Netflix off my Xbox 360. It has an option to stretch the image if it has black bars. I have yet to find this option on my Revue.

By the way, I picked it up on Sunday for $99. That is the price point they should have had all along. It can't compete with Apple TV otherwise in my opinion. I'm glad I held off from buying an Apple TV.

donatom3

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Use the Google TV app it's better than the harmony app, plus the IR blasters on the Revue work great and cover a nice area.

I love the netflix app that came with it, it's a mirror of the PS3 versoin and offers 5.1 audio and 1080p just like the PS3.

There are keyboard shortcuts. For apps you go to settings then the app menu and you can assign shortcuts to every letter or number while holding the search key. So I have Search key + N go to netflix +M go to Media player +A go to Amazon. As for channels I can't find keyboard shortcuts yet, but you can bookmark channels, and from what I'm seeing of the new interface you can put bookmarks into your quick bar so that will be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biggnaa20

dta316

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
First time post and user of the Revue.
Do you think there will be an email app available after the 3.1 update so I can be notified of new email? That is something that would be really usefull.

TIA..

donatom3

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I am currently looking into this since its now $99. I have one question for you guys... what would i use this for? Here is what I currently have. 2 PS3's which I play online games a lot, FIOS TV with HD DVR and I watch a lot of football ( NFL) My wife watches the typical Oxygen, Bravo channels. So where would the GTV fit in there? Or how would it be used? Please advice .:cool:

It fits in between your Fios TV HD DVR and TV. The idea is to use it to help you find more of what's playing on your Fios DVR, plus it has Netflix and does it using a lot less power than your ps3's, and can surf the web and play most web flash videos.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It fits in between your Fios TV HD DVR and TV. The idea is to use it to help you find more of what's playing on your Fios DVR, plus it has Netflix and does it using a lot less power than your ps3's, and can surf the web and play most web flash videos.

Great thanks for the reply.. I am still highly considering this.

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site

well you wont have to switch feed from your ps3 to your cable. Game wise...right now only HC will help you with that. It does nteflix and amazon VOD. If you have "back up" copies of your movies it can stream them or play them from an external USB device. If your DVR box is compatible then you can control your dvr and box. If your wife is anything like mine she can go online while watching Real wives and watch the "extras" right then and there. Football wise, im a football nut, you can look at stats and other stuff you would on your laptop if you use your laptop while watching games. Its in infant stage. Gtv does what atv does but it also does stuff with your tv feed.

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
When it was $299 I didn't even bother looking at the live demo kiosks. When it was announced that it was $99, I went directly to Best Buy and took it for a spin.

I already have a nice 40" HDTV so I couldn't justify buying a Google TV. My girlfriend would kill me unless I also brought home a new sofa (after spending a week sofa shopping with her). But when trying it out in Best Buy, I handed her the keyboard. For a complete technophobic n00b who can't even work the Comcast remote after 2 year, she had the Revue pulling up Sex & the City in less than a minute. She said "get one". Girlfriend endorsement to buy a new piece of tech?!?

Sold. Mine is getting delivered tomorrow via UPS (ordered direct from logitech). Every Best Buy in Eastern PA is sold out.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
First time post and user of the Revue.
Do you think there will be an email app available after the 3.1 update so I can be notified of new email? That is something that would be really usefull.

I would agree, that would be nice. I can't imagine why it couldn't do this notification. I would be cool if it put a little GMAIL logo in the corner of the screen while you'll watching tv.

I think that overlays will be a really cool addition. Imagine a small fantasy football scoreboard updated with your team as you watch football. This all should be possible with the Honeycomb update.

Version 1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just received mine last night and barely had time to play around with it- is there any way to create a shortcut key combo to enable a "favorites" button like I have on my cable box remote? The only thing I didn't like was i couldn't rapidly switch to my favorite channels with the push of a button.

donatom3

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Just received mine last night and barely had time to play around with it- is there any way to create a shortcut key combo to enable a "favorites" button like I have on my cable box remote? The only thing I didn't like was i couldn't rapidly switch to my favorite channels with the push of a button.

You can do this for apps by going to settings and applications and choosing the quick launch option. Haven't found this for channels yet, but you can bookmark channels which will be more useful once honeycomb hits and we have that nice customize able scroll bar at the bottom.

Ha Chickee Pitah

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Things I like:

2) Slingbox like feature
4) Hulu Support

Ok, it doesn't do Hulu or Hulu+? That's a big drawback to me. Will the update possibly include the Hulu+ app? Any ideas?

I was hoping this would be able to allow me to ditch my cable/satellite TV pretty much for good, but I don't think it's ready for that, especially if I can't watch Hulu. Maybe I can switch to the cheapest available Dish Network package, and supplement it with GTV? Good idea or no? I mainly use my TV for my kids to watch (especially during the day) and then watch movies and network sitcoms/dramas, etc. I also throw in a little football on the weekends in teh fall/winter.

The older reviews of GTV I saw said that the big networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) were blocking their content from GTV. Is that still the case? It is kind of misleading for Google to advertise "The entire Internet on your TV" while still not being able to access some pretty basic stuff like that, imo.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
On Hulu's page they say that will be available for Revue in this fall. Now, I don't know if that means September or November, but I've already made up my mind and ditched the cable. Even though I have 2 kids (2 and 8 y.o.) we are pretty happy with the setup. Look at it this way: you can now choose what to let your kids watch, and get rid of that network's filler crap (reruns, commercials, idiotic cartoons).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane