Atom handle .mkv?

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
If the market brings apps to support .mkv files, do you think the cpu can handle that? Well I think 720p might do fine but 1080p I doubt it.

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
When I'm back messing with the revue, I'll side load another media player on and see how it handles .mkv's. From what I was seeing last night the Logitech Media Player wasn't even seeing .mkv files

Of course this is all in the honeycomb build.

donatom3

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
If the market brings apps to support .mkv files, do you think the cpu can handle that? Well I think 720p might do fine but 1080p I doubt it.
The CE4150 in the revue has a 400 mhz Power VR SGS535 GPU built in. It's got the codec support to handle high profile 1080p, it's the software that's lacking right now. From what I heard the Beta of 3.1 adds MKV support though.

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that .mkv files do play within Logitech Media Player! (Honeycomb)

This is the file information for my .mkv that I just tested. It shows up and plays via an external hard drive, however I can't find any of my .mkv's via over the network share

okyPh.png

Reactions: Seven2k

delucx

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell me how big was the size of the .mkv file it was able to handle? Let's say the .mkv file was 10 gigabytes at 1080p? You think it can handle that without a glitch?

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell me how big was the size of the .mkv file it was able to handle? Let's say the .mkv file was 10 gigabytes at 1080p? You think it can handle that without a glitch?

The .mkv file was about a gig and a half. I don't have any humongous .mkv files on me unfortunately. I don't see why it wouldn't though. It had no problem with that file but it was 720p

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
.mkv is a type of file container. The Audio and Video encoding is completely independent of that. The CE4150 is a really powerful media processor and can decode just about any video format at 1080p, in fact it can decode 2 1080p files simultaneously for most video formats. The problem, as has been said before, is software. The Revue currently doesn't know how to "look inside" the container file (.mkv) and find the video information to decode.

CE4150 product brief:
http://www.wpgholdings.com/epaper/US/newsRelease_20091215/255874.pdf

Last edited:

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site

The important thing isn't file size here its the video format and bitrate. Assuming H.264 High Profile @ 1080p encoding the CE4150 could play glitch free an arbitrarily large file. It could be 1 TB and it would play just fine.

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that .mkv files do play within Logitech Media Player! (Honeycomb)

This is the file information for my .mkv that I just tested. It shows up and plays via an external hard drive, however I can't find any of my .mkv's via over the network share

okyPh.png

Very good news kentoe...again you my hero bruh!!!

Reactions: kentoe

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna test these two files: Big Buck Bunny and Iron Man 2 trailer from here...

DivX Plus HD Video: high performance H.264 video in an MKV file | DivX.com

Tell me if these would be sufficient for testing

Edit:

Okay so I test those two.

Iron Man 2 trailer: Perfect

ipb2u.png

Big Buck Bunny: Perfect

I0Lre.png

I don't know if there's any other sort of information I can grab from those files for you guys, but it had no problem with either of those.

Last edited:

donatom3

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna test these two files: Big Buck Bunny and Iron Man 2 trailer from here...

DivX Plus HD Video: high performance H.264 video in an MKV file | DivX.com

Tell me if these would be sufficient for testing

Edit:

Okay so I test those two.

Iron Man 2 trailer: Perfect

Big Buck Bunny: Perfect

I don't know if there's any other sort of information I can grab from those files for you guys, but it had no problem with either of those.

This shows the CE4150 has the power. I know the CE4150 is part of the atom line, but it's kinda wrong when people directly compare it to the atom since it was heavily optimized for media, these should run video better than an Nvidia Tegra 2.

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This shows the CE4150 has the power. I know the CE4150 is part of the atom line, but it's kinda wrong when people directly compare it to the atom since it was heavily optimized for media, these should run video better than an Nvidia Tegra 2.

Well that's good to know. Yeah, the Tegra 2 in the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 I got hasn't been too well with playing any 720p or 1080p videos. I only had one good occurrence depending on the rom and application I played it on.

donatom3

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Well that's good to know. Yeah, the Tegra 2 in the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 I got hasn't been too well with playing any 720p or 1080p videos. I only had one good occurrence depending on the rom and application I played it on.

The Tegra 2 can't run high profile 1080p, there is a reason Boxee dropped the Tegra 2 for their boxee box and went with an Intel CE4110

Reactions: kentoe

misfit410

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got my revue, I am not putting the 3.1 beta on it, however all of my HD movies are MKV, and so far they all play fine in the logitech video player.

kentoe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I just got my revue, I am not putting the 3.1 beta on it, however all of my HD movies are MKV, and so far they all play fine in the logitech video player.

Is it right out of the box? I'm pretty sure the updates over the past year just ruined a bunch of codecs.

misfit410

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it right out of the box? I'm pretty sure the updates over the past year just ruined a bunch of codecs.

It is out of the box but it updated on setup..
I own a ton of video devices, and it's the first thing other than my media PC that plays them.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It is out of the box but it updated on setup..
I own a ton of video devices, and it's the first thing other than my media PC that plays them.

Did you play them over the network, or from an USB drive? I tried access them from my PC, but Revue can't see mkv. I will try by plugging my external drive in the box, maybe that way works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos