Google TV versus PC on TV

jlee91780

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
So I just got this and at $89 (with coupon), I will keep it no matter what, at least giving it to my dad who doesn't have a PC. Didn't realize it really wouldn't integrate with over-the-air TV; you have to come out of hdmi mode completely to go to over-the-air TV and you won't get picture and web browsing at the same time. Also, you can't search for a show and you can't use its DVR function. Am I wrong?

It seems that if you don't have cable, Netflix or any other paid service, it is just a web browser that get's blocked by major TV channels. In terms of streamlininess, it doesn't even beat my Roku, which I admit doesn't get web browsing, but its remote was easy and a kid could figure it out. I'm even worried my mom couldn't use Google TV.

As a professional, I really can't use much of this device as web browsing on TV is an awkward experience; there is too much screen to absorb. Even if you like the screen size, a PC can actually multitask. Perhaps the only advantage I see is that the screen resolution is a little clearer than a PC hooked to the TV?

donatom3

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The Honeycomb update will change that for the most part. But really these are not htpc replacements. From my use they are designed to enhance your cable service. Also you could get a ota HD DVR.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

jlee91780

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
The Honeycomb update will change that for the most part. But really these are not htpc replacements. From my use they are designed to enhance your cable service. Also you could get a ota HD DVR.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
What will Honeycomb solve? Multitasking, streamliness, or both?

I didn't mean for this to be a PC for myself, although it does do Google Docs pretty well, but my parents could use it as they don't need a full PC just something look at Chinese stuff on Youtube and read Chinese news. I will say that its not as easy to use as a Roku and obviously not as functional as a PC so what function does this device play for the entire family?