Who has a sony google tv and what do you think?

rareigns

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I am in the market for a new tv. I love the idea of being able to have the internet on my tv. I am going straight internet and netflix now, no cable or dish.

I just wanted to know what people who already own the tv thought.

Any info will help.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Try it out in the store.
A Sony GTV is limited by the software (until the update maybe in a month), so you can't see everything on the web. Note the Sony is missing notably missing Netflix's 5.1 sound and Hulu.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the TV as it is (For TV purposes).

However, when purchased at launch, the TV cost me $1,000 and today (a year later) it could be had for around $600. It's a nice TV for $600, but if you're not going to have cable/satellite service, GTV might not be for you.

There's likely other TVs out around the same price point that have Netflix and internet capability with newer hardware.

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought the NSX-40GT1 for $599. For the price and with Honeycomb, this TV in a great buy. I know there are those who will complain about anything. But, this is cheap money for an HDTV with a GTV that is definitely better than Apple TV and offers a lot of potential.

stonefeet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
i'm an abused revue owner (since launch)
i really like the thing if you understand what it's capable of, if you think it's going to let you "cut the cord" you're a fool because it won't.
this device/platform has nearly unlimited potential, with or without hulu (they'll come to their senses one day) it's probably a C (grade) right now with 2.1 by all accounts 3.1 is much much better.

GamemanTEG

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Sony(40") for a couple months now (caught a great sale $499.00) and I'm very happy with it. I am a casual gamer so I"m aware of the gripes some hardcore gamers have with the lag. The picture is great. I saw this in store, side by side with a Vizio, a Panasonic and a Insignia. The Sony had the best picture by far (faint praise but still). I've had the occasional app. freeze and force close. The two 10 watt speakers sound like two 10 watt speakers. But for Google tv (with the update) and a price still under $600.00, it's a good buy (IMO)

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe its just me but I'd rather have the TV and Google TV box separate. This IMO makes it easier and cheaper to upgrade or change platforms down the road. Also most of the Sony Google TVs don't have the specs that I want (the ones I see are 60hz refresh rate and in this day in age I wouldn't buy anything less than 120hz).

Remember In most cases your TV is going to last longer than the connected apps platform on it.

mikehoff99

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the Sony Bravia 46" 3D TV. I love it! the picture is amazing. My wife at times doesnt like it when watching some shows, because it is soo crystal clear it almost looks fake compared to what we used to see when watching shows/movies.
the remote has a dedicated netflix button. it also has other apps qriocity, hulu plus, +++. i also have 2 logitech revues. one upstars and one on this tv. i rarely use it now. the browser built into the tv is rediculously bad. impossible to navigate. tv is rather expensive, but i would not change it for anything.

filmusikat

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for a few months now and I love it. I am aware of the refresh rate of 60hz but I am not big on video games...well actually...I don't play them at all. This is perfect for me since all I really do is watch a bunch of stuff on Netflix and Youtube. Plus, I needed a new TV so this was the perfect choice for me. It also looks very sleek! I love the design. =)

paul 12345

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I liked it until yesterday. The set is less than a year old and now when it turns on is stuck on a screen with the word SONY on it. I've talked with Sony support and they said I have to ship the TV into them to have the software reset and reloaded. The set does not respond to the Fn 1 key combination to bring up the reset/restore ect menu I can get to it by holding down the power on button while plugging the set in. Sony support says I can do a factory restore from this menu but to get the preloaded apps the TV came with back I will have to ship it to them to get the apps reloaded as they claim they have provided no means for the end user to do this.At this point I would not buy another sony internet type product.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci