Compatible DLNA NAS's

BryanLeeRagon

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking into buying a stand-alone DLNA NAS. Currently I'm looking at the NETGEAR ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus (RNDP400U). Especially given it's X-RAID2 Automatic Volume Expansion. However, I want to verify that it's compatible with the Logitech Revue running GoogleTV 2.0 (HC 3.1). I realize that there may be codec issues, and I'll re-encode any videos as needed. However I want to verify that the DLNA aspects are working.

If anyone posts stand-alone NAS devices that are compatible, I'll update this post with a list.

ejh

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Anything with DLNA should work with the revue. I stream movies from a Synology Diskstation 210j, win7 pcs, and android phones with no issues on GTV 2.0.

BryanLeeRagon

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm finding a big difference between "anything with dlna should work" and "works with this dlna implementation." I agree it's a standard and there shouldn't be issues, but so far, I've run into them.

random9

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking into buying a stand-alone DLNA NAS. Currently I'm looking at the NETGEAR ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus (RNDP400U). Especially given it's X-RAID2 Automatic Volume Expansion. However, I want to verify that it's compatible with the Logitech Revue running GoogleTV 2.0 (HC 3.1). I realize that there may be codec issues, and I'll re-encode any videos as needed. However I want to verify that the DLNA aspects are working.

If anyone posts stand-alone NAS devices that are compatible, I'll update this post with a list.

I too have had interesting challenges in dealing with DLNA...and played with a variety of servers trying to make things work.

The Readynas Ultra 4 (non-plus) with the latest firmware (ReadyDLNA 1.0.22 aka minidlna) works great with the latest update to Revue. It did not work so well prior to HC 3.1 as the old version of the logitech meda player had many problems with DLNA videos - the new version of that does very well and supports dragging to advance, etc... as does aVia Media Player (from android market) for DLNA. Also, GTVBox Video Player will work with the nas via Windows/SMB shares.

The Ultra Plus is a very nice unit with dual core - i think it runs the same firmware and same dlna server so it should work the same as the non-plus unit.

There have been some codec hiccups with the Revue - some mp4 (x264/AVC) that simply refuse to play in any of the players mentioned above while others with seemingly the same codec play just fine...i need to find time to investigate further.

BryanLeeRagon

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I too have had interesting challenges in dealing with DLNA...and played with a variety of servers trying to make things work.

The Readynas Ultra 4 (non-plus) with the latest firmware (ReadyDLNA 1.0.22 aka minidlna) works great with the latest update to Revue. It did not work so well prior to HC 3.1 as the old version of the logitech meda player had many problems with DLNA videos - the new version of that does very well and supports dragging to advance, etc... as does aVia Media Player (from android market) for DLNA. Also, GTVBox Video Player will work with the nas via Windows/SMB shares.

Thank you, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I'll save up some pennies and get a ReadyNAS. Also, I'll check out the alternative video players for GoogleTV.

There have been some codec hiccups with the Revue - some mp4 (x264/AVC) that simply refuse to play in any of the players mentioned above while others with seemingly the same codec play just fine...i need to find time to investigate further.

Yeah, I've had some codec issues as well (and realize the difference between DLNA issues and codec issues). If I run across a video that won't play (usually old AVIs) I re-ecode to MP4 container, h.264 and AAC audio. I think that usually does the trick. Oh, and I use handbrake on Ubuntu to re-encode.