What is your FAVORITE Google TV app?

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I know we have a thread about what apps work and how to move things over from Thumb Drives and Emails, but what we do not have is a thread about what we have as our favorite apps.

Mine is currently Redux - this is a great app that has many themed video "channels" that show shorts - from nature, to animation, to tech, to comedy. I have been watching this app more than Netflix and movies on my server lately.

What are you guys loving?

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Wow - 285+ views and not a single response? Heck I would even welcome some sarcasm or a snarky link to an existing thread at this point.

Nobody has a favorite app?

larryw4csc

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried the ESPN sports app for about 10 minutes until I found out all but 3 US cable companies now have access to it. On a Flash webpage, on a real computer, I can watch the games from ATT, just like always. Android triggers ESPN to drag me off to get the stupid app I'm not allowed to watch and refuses to let me watch on Flash in the webpage until I boot up my trusty old WinXP netbook.....another knife into the Android users' chests. Other TV apps simply refused to deliver the promised channels. TV companies hate us as it threatens their cable property revenues......
I'm watching Livestation's nice TV app on WinXP Watch Live Streaming News Online at Livestation.com. Runs great, no stalling, no dragging me off to download some nonsense I don't want...It simply works better.
:(

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you guys have it, but probably you do since there IS an android app. My favorite app is PlayOn, which I have on my Roku, my PlayBook, my Galaxy Tab+ and my idevices. It supports just about all the flash and silverlight sites and it works even for PC only stuff. The downside is that it requires a host PC, which your device then connects too.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
What would be my favorite app if it worked with Google TV would be Hulu Plus. Yes, I know I could use it through PlayOn, but the UI sucks doing it that way, and I always have to make sure my PC is on. I wish Hulu and Google could get together on this.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
wow - the apps mentioned so far are both methods of accessing a PC - for either streaming files or remote desktop - this is not a good sign google.

I will add that I also love the podcast app!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why they don't have hulu plus, since it IS available on many of the phones and tablets. Although, not all of them either, my tablet for example does not have hulu plus. :(

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why they don't have hulu plus, since it IS available on many of the phones and tablets. Although, not all of them either, my tablet for example does not have hulu plus. :(

My understanding is that it has to do with Hulu's agreements with their content providers. The content providers aren't afraid that someone will cancel their cable/sat service because they can get their shows on their phone/tablet/pc (small screens compare to TV). They are terrified that they would lose customers if Hulu was easily streamed on their TV, ala Google TV. I know it's a silly premise, because you can do Hulu with PS3, Xbox, and Wii. That's just my understanding of the problem.

I hate cable/sat providers almost as much as I hate oil companies. ABC Nightly News had a story last night that for the first time in over 50 years, the US is exporting more oil than it imports. First, why are we still importing oil if we're exporting more? And if that's true, WHY ARE GAS PRICES STILL SO F-ING HIGH!?! Sorry for the rant

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
not an app - but I saved a shortcut for it so it acts likes one - lately I have been using mobilevids.org
I
t is a pretty neat site that gives access to movies and TV shows - I am guessing that it is questionable at best as far as copyright infringement goes - but its all streaming and works like a champ on GoogleTV

teckels

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My favorite used to be Pandora but after Logitech update I can no longer play music in the background while watching TV. Sometimes it still asks me if I would like to continue playing music in background but it does not work. :( Look at this thread, someone from GoogleTV needs to recognize that we do not need your help to search for our favorite Ren & Stimpy episode, us early adopters want things with cool features or access to streaming content that is normally free on-line. I did not purchase to replace my Guide, it works just fine, I wanted to be cutting edge, instead it's glitchy and lacking interesting capabilities. (Sorry to rant).

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
My favorite used to be Pandora but after Logitech update I can no longer play music in the background while watching TV. Sometimes it still asks me if I would like to continue playing music in background but it does not work. :( Look at this thread, someone from GoogleTV needs to recognize that we do not need your help to search for our favorite Ren & Stimpy episode, us early adopters want things with cool features or access to streaming content that is normally free on-line. I did not purchase to replace my Guide, it works just fine, I wanted to be cutting edge, instead it's glitchy and lacking interesting capabilities. (Sorry to rant).

I agree - and I am hoping that this is the calm before the storm - hoping Google TV is at least mentioned at Google i/o coming up. New hardware will bring some new software.

the issue with what you said above is that they cannnot build this thing for early adopters and nerds. Nerds are not where the money is because we are not enough of the population to make a company money - this thing needs to be built for the main stream.

What we need is a better dev community for GTV - that is where nerds and early adopters can roam. we should all be looking over @ XDA more as they are more of a dev community and AC at times is more of a user community. I love both.

I have a list of things and apps that I want to tinker with on my GTV but by the time I sit down in front of it - all I really want to do is listen to music, or watch a movie, TV, or podcast - all these things it does well.

I agree GTV is not very exciting right now - but it does all that I really ask for now and the things that it will not do - HULU, HBO plus, etc is thanks to business models of other companies - not google.

Reactions: teckels

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Just installed airtight and it is pretty cool. Allows my kids and wife to airplay to the gtv. Works well, kind of a novelty right now but I think we might use this regularly.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance