Where are the Co-Star Reviews

jcolec

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering - does anyone thing it odd, that while units have begun shipping and at least ONE delivered, there are no on-line reviews up yet?
Is this typical for Vizio products?
I guess I'm just used to Engadget, and similar blogs having reviews of units the day they come out.

migespy

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering that myself. I have been looking to see if anyone has gotten a review up. Usually the review builds get sent out before the public gets theirs. I don't think its indicative of a poor product cover up though. It is odd though. Hopefully we can get some user reviews in the next few days at least. I got my shipping notice yesterday so I hope to put some info up as soon as I get mine.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The products have shipped, but I do not think that they shipped early testing devices, which is odd. I guess everyone will get the first batch together. One unboxing is already up in this forum.

rschauby

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Here is a small review I have already done. I received mine on Friday, and have only really had a few hours to play with it.

This is my first Google TV box so I am new to all this. I own a Roku HD-XR, PS3, Wii, and of course a few PC's to take care of all my media needs. There are a few "complaints" I have on the new Co-Star, and I'm open to the possibility that I might have just had unrealistic expectations of the device and of Google TV.

-First off, the acceleration on the touch pad pointer makes it damn near unusable. Slowing down the pointer speed in the settings helped a bit, but given how much you are forced to use the pointer in Chrome, it sure seems clunky. The pointer click is done with a tap on the touchpad, but there is no feedback to confirm a click on the remote or even an audible click sound, and it always seems there is a small delay in response. The scrolling, which is done by a slide gesture on the right side of the touchpad, is very sensitive and has been difficult for me to control.

-The remote sounded like a good idea, but it's got a major flaw. Again, the problem comes when in Chrome and on pages that require both typing, and then pointer navigation. I find I am constantly typing on the KB side, then flipping over to use the pointer, and then flipping back to the KB. They either need to make the arrow keys functional in Chrome, or move the touchpad to the other side of the remote. Another problem I have with the remote design: the gyro that turns off the side facing down is really finicky unless you have one side facing straight down. If you like to lounge back in your bed or chair while watching TV, you will need to sit upright in order for this remote to work because it's really picky about not having one side straight down. Also, the keyboard side has keys which require a very solid push with the finger tips; you won't be typing anything out quickly on this thing.

-No Native Apps - Except for Netflix... Seriously, I thought a few places like Amazon, Vudu, Crackle, Vevo, would have some native apps for Google TV. Given how horrible my experience is with browsing in Chrome, having to run the browser version of all these streaming sites is painful. I can't even get Vudu to work, and browsing on Amazon is just a pain in the ass. When watching an Amazon video on Chrome, the only way to Fast Forward, or Pause is done with the pointer; the remote video function keys do nothing!! The Google TV App "TV & More", which aggregates all shows and movies from your different sources including the web, does offer relief from having to browse Amazon videos through Chrome. Once a movie/show is selected in this app interface it will launch either the Netflix app or Chrome for Amazon and begin the movie for you. This is an acceptable workaround to Amazon Video as this "TV & More" interface is well put together and easy to navigate. I have no idea which sources are included in this app, everything I have looked at so far has only been from Netflix & Amazon (no HD Cable or Satellite service). There is no way, that I can find, to show or configure what sources show in TV & More

-OnLive Client - Does NOT work with Xbox 360 wired controller, or a bluetooth PS3 controller... this is just plain stupid. If OnLive wants to know why they only have 1800 concurrent customers, it's because no one wants to buy their controller to try the service out. The image quality of the OnLive client does look very good, definitely better than my PC. I'm hoping this is something Vizio addresses or a community fix is generated. An OnLive streaming box is half the reason I purchased this thing.

The unit seems to run "smooth". There are a few transitions that aren't visually smooth, but it doesn't feel laggy. Browsing is definitely not as fast as a PC, and even slower than my Samsung GS3, but this is a full desktop website browser so I find that acceptable. Again, it isn't fast, but I don't ever feel like it's lagging or freezing up, which is nice. The Chrome browser is mostly held back by the remote; most websites seem to work fine, but I can't seem to easily navigate between this keyboard and touchpad. I really am just avoiding using anything that requires Chrome as the experience is just painful trying to navigate and click on links. It sure would be nice if the directional pad could be used on the browser to navigate through links, right now it just does small scrolling. Vizio could make a massive improvement by adding a simple audible click sound to the pointer. I'm definitely going to be in the market for a wireless keyboard mouse combo, this remote just doesn't cut it unless I am only using Netflix.

I don't have cable or satellite service, so I can't comment on the rest of the functionality. I would like to get a Tivo box for OTA, but I'm waiting until a really good deal comes through.

Last edited:

tarakmehta

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if the remote still works on IR mode if bluetooth is unpaired ? If yes, do both sides of remote work in IR mode or kedoes not work ? Vizio has another remote model which they sell with keyboard which is IR only model.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a clunker if that review is accurate. Google can't afford many more misses with GoogleTV. Maybe they need to start testing products that OEMs make and to ensure they're not crap. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds and whatever issues exist can be fixed via software update.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the review rschauby. It is disappointing reading this and the list of apps that are NOT compatible with it at this time. How does it not have a Amazon Prime app when it has the button built onto the remote, I know Android does not have one, but I figured they got a special deal with Amazon for it. Not just a webpage shortcut.

Anyone tried any other web browsers on it. Maybe sideloading FireFox like on my Nexus 7?

Wonder if I could get a wireless BT keyboard with trackpad that would rectify some of those issues.

O well, hope the DLNA part at least connects to my NAS HDD. What they really need is to add as many media apps as possible to the thing.

misfit410

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the review rschauby. It is disappointing reading this and the list of apps that are NOT compatible with it at this time. How does it not have a Amazon Prime app when it has the button built onto the remote, I know Android does not have one, but I figured they got a special deal with Amazon for it. Not just a webpage shortcut.

Anyone tried any other web browsers on it. Maybe sideloading FireFox like on my Nexus 7?

Wonder if I could get a wireless BT keyboard with trackpad that would rectify some of those issues.

O well, hope the DLNA part at least connects to my NAS HDD. What they really need is to add as many media apps as possible to the thing.

Id take those impressions with a grain of salt, amazon prime is there in the same fashion it always has been. Its on amazon to put out a better app.

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
My Co-Star is my first Google TV product and although there are some disappointments, I'm not ready to write it off just yet. As others have said, I think my overall problem is too high of expectations.

It does the majority of what I wanted it to do, which is:

1. Netflix - it has a native app that works just like my PS3 does (which is awesome because if it was like the Xbox 360 version, this would already be on it's way back to Vizio)

2. Basic web browsing on my TV - Yes, the touch pad is annoyingly sensitive, some sort of feedback on a tap-to-click would be nice, and flipping the remote over to access the keyboard is awkward but lets face it, no sort of remote control can ever replace the ease of a keyboard/mouse or a touch screen. It works, just don't expect to browse as fast as you would on a computer or tablet (or phone).

3. Watch videos stored on my Windows Home Server 2011 over UPnP - I have my entire Bluray and DVD collected ripped into .MP4 files stored on my home server so I don't require a Bluray player to watch them (I am anal about scratched discs). This works great for it, I can easily and quickly find my server, my video and begin watching.

My two biggest annoyances are:
1. No native Amazon Instant Video app - If it wasn't for the fact that the remote has a button for it, I wouldn't care so much. Using Amazon's website is silly. This is a fault with Amazon, mostly, but Vizio still shouldn't have put the button on the remote if there wasn't a real app.

2. No working (as of yet) old-school video game console emulators, like SNES or N64 - this would be, in one word, thebestdarnthingtoeverhappen!

jcolec

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input so far....my shipping has been updated and it appears I will have mine on Thursday.
Still haven't seen a review on a major tech site.

If I don't see too many reviews by the end of the weekend I'll put up my thoughts.

I will be 'passing' through my DirecTV box.

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I am actually pretty angry right now. I bought 2 as soon as it went up for preorder. I own 3 logitech revue's and also owned 2 sony blue ray players with google tv.

Logitech revue so far is the best I have seen. I love it and use it everyday. I have plex media center set up and no issues it just works.

I opened up the vizio co-star and everything seemed to go fine until all of a sudden I went to play a show and no sound. Then tried tv through it no sound. I then plug the hdmi cables back right into the cable box and instant sound.

This happened to both been on the phone with vizio for over an hour now and they came to the conclusion that they are hardware failures. They will replace but it will take me 3 weeks maybe to get a replacement. This is cause they are out of stock they said.

They said they would not refund either until I kept complaining and finally I am supposedly being transferred right now to get a refund been on hold for 15 minutes right now.

I am truly disappointed by vizio. I have heard their products are good with tv's and so forth but the customer service I am getting is just horrible. I know the limitations of google tv and has nothing to do with this. only how vizio see's how to replace the product and give no refund option even though I bought early and bought 2.

If 1 had a problem and 1 didn't I could understand but with both being bad this is just horrid customer service.

EDIT they wanted me to pay for restocking fee and shipping to get refund. This company is a joke.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
That is incredibly disappointing to hear. I fear that I will get mine and it will also not work. Surprising to find both of your two are not working. Since they are defective, you can return them and no restocking fee because they can not restock broken items.

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
That is incredibly disappointing to hear. I fear that I will get mine and it will also not work. Surprising to find both of your two are not working. Since they are defective, you can return them and no restocking fee because they can not restock broken items.

I wish this were true their excuse for charging me restocking fee and making me pay shipping is that in the near future they are putting out a firm ware upgrade to fix.

This is such bull.

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Finally some one offers me refund but 6 weeks to get it and I have to pay shipping.

6 bleeping weeks. This company is the biggest joke I have ever seen.

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got mine the other day, but I am already returning it. If someone is interested in buying it off me, let me know. I need something that plays MKV files WITH DTS. A majority of my HD files won't play the sound.

coryteague

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I got mine this morning and after about three hours the remote stopped working. Did live chat with customer service and they are sending a new remote in 5-7 days. Also can't get plex to work which it works for my roku box. So .99 cents wasted. Truly disappointed in google TV apps as nothing of relevance. I expected the play store to be sparse but this is ridiculous. Also it won't search my cable for live TV programs in search so basically I have a box that will put a chrome browser on my TV which I had a $3 HDMI cable that did that already. Chrome tabs don't work either. Seriously frustrated ....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

killspy6

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had my co-star for a few days and it is a major disappointment.
My first problem is no button for DVR access. Is this false advertising? The list button does nothing on my Verizon fios.
My second problem is no way to turn on CC from the remote for tv or cable box.
Third, absolutely no remote control customizing. Logitec revue had it right. They just need a better processor.
Oh yeah and my bluetooth headset only works less than a foot from the co-star..
I'm still holding on to the co-star because all this could be fixed from an update. I'm hooking up my Logitec revue until that happens.

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I got mine this morning and after about three hours the remote stopped working. Did live chat with customer service and they are sending a new remote in 5-7 days. Also can't get plex to work which it works for my roku box. So .99 cents wasted. Truly disappointed in google TV apps as nothing of relevance. I expected the play store to be sparse but this is ridiculous. Also it won't search my cable for live TV programs in search so basically I have a box that will put a chrome browser on my TV which I had a $3 HDMI cable that did that already. Chrome tabs don't work either. Seriously frustrated ....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

This is not google tv I have 3 revue's and plex works amazing on it. Also the remote has been programmed to run DirectTV with no issues. The dvr button works and google tv and movies searches and changes the channel immediately. This is a Vizio problem. I also owned sony blue ray with google tv and had none of these issues.