Vizio Co-Star Get Something Else

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I am actually pretty angry right now. I bought 2 as soon as it went up for preorder. I own 3 logitech revue's and also owned 2 sony blue ray players with google tv.

Logitech revue so far is the best I have seen. I love it and use it everyday. I have plex media center set up and no issues it just works.

I opened up the vizio co-star and everything seemed to go fine until all of a sudden I went to play a show and no sound. Then tried tv through it no sound. I then plug the hdmi cables back right into the cable box and instant sound.

This happened to both been on the phone with vizio for over an hour now and they came to the conclusion that they are hardware failures. They will replace but it will take me 3 weeks maybe to get a replacement. This is cause they are out of stock they said.

They said they would not refund either until I kept complaining and finally I am supposedly being transferred right now to get a refund been on hold for 15 minutes right now.

I am truly disappointed by vizio. I have heard their products are good with tv's and so forth but the customer service I am getting is just horrible. I know the limitations of google tv and has nothing to do with this. only how vizio see's how to replace the product and give no refund option even though I bought early and bought 2.

If 1 had a problem and 1 didn't I could understand but with both being bad this is just horrid customer service.

They want me to pay for restocking fee and shipping to get refund. This company is a joke.

They admin there is a problem they admit they are working on it they admit they can't tell me when my device will work yet they will not take the product back since it obv is defective.

I would highly recommend passing if for nothing else if you do have a problem they are horrid at customer service.

Ankener

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I guess I may be having the same problem. I start by watching TV, switch to Netflix of Youtube, and when I go back to live TV, my audio is out, and I need to reset my Co-Star. Every single time. I'm using a Sony receiver and a Comcast Motorola HD cable tuner. I've contacted Vizio to see if there's a major software upgrade on the horizon that could fix this. Otherwise I'm switching back to my Logitech Revue. I thought this would be a major upgrade, but so far it's a bit of a letdown.

tobor

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you guys are having issues. I have an old Roku that craps out on me constantly, so I feel your pain.

My experience with the Co-Star has been very positive so far. From some of the comments I've read here and on other sites, it does seem that there is a problem with the HDMI handshake with some devices. I would wager that firmware will fix a lot of that type of stuff. The device has only been out two and a half weeks and they've pushed two updates already?

TrooperThorn

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same position as you jjenson, and today I received my second Vizio Co-Star. It, too, does not produce any sound, no matter what I do. It is connected directly to my 40" Proscan LCD HDTV.

I'm afraid this device just will not work with my particular brand of television, perhaps. I don't know what else to try, but your customer service experience sounds slightly worse than mine, but now I'm afraid they'll try to slap me with a restocking fee too.

I'm going to do one more round of customer service on the phone to try to rectify this, but I think this is just a shoddy device that doesn't work properly.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Alright, well to close out my part in this whole fiasco, I found it was Westinghouse'e fault with my specific issue.
I emailed Westinghouse who told me that yes, it was a firmware issue. I asked for an update and got a nice proverbial middle finger with them telling me that no, they will not be doing a simple firmware update for the TV.

Vizio was as helpful as they could be and I am not faulting them with this issue.

I will be giving the CoStar to my mother so she can try it at her house, she has been wanting a Prime and Netflix streamer anyways. My Roku 2 XS is on it's way, I will install the Plex channel on that and hope that it will at least show a picture on my screen.

Thank you all for your input and I wish others the best of luck with their issues. Most may be just an off shoot on my original problem of the televisions not having up to date firmware software to deal with the new device.

naudan

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
After all the stupid shipping problems that vizio finally corrected (got mine yesterday after being shipped over 1 month ago), I actually have no problems with mine! No sound issues, just a simple HDMI to the TV. Mind you I have sound wires still going from the cable box to the TV. Maybe that makes a difference? I always had to do that (my cable box doesnt push sound through HDMI). However ,the Co Star does push sound for it's apps through the HDMI.

I have been able to search my cableprovider, watch amazon instant, watch netflix, watch youtube (but the app sucks), browse the internet, download some nice applications, etc.

It is a bit slow at times, but its still really cool. Worth the $100 in my book. Also with ABLE remote I can find a youtube video and send it to my TV with 1 click and it opens. Thats sick!

So far I am liking it.

anita allen

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I have had costar for 2 months. Constant issues w/ Netflix not launching. Last tech support led me on a wild goose chase of ports open on router. No; the issue is the CoStar. Will return.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463