Vizio CoStar: Broken, Working, Happy, Pissed?
02-01-2013 07:53 PM
- Well it seems that there are not a lot of positive reviews about the CoStar. I just got mine today and after reading many of your posts, I expected very little. Mine came DOA. I get a splash screen and then blackness. Nothing works.
How about you. Did yours turn on? Does it still work? Does it do what you wanted?
I hope to read some positive posts, but I bet they will be in the minority.08-22-2012 11:50 AM
- tntdroidDroideratorThings like this just look bad for Google TV. If Google wants to be serious about this they need to test these things and have standards. Maybe with the nexus Q not shipping they are making it a Google TV type device.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums08-22-2012 08:44 PM
- Least you got to setup. Pretty sure they just have a bad batch of boards on them or something. Enough worked to get past QC (If there is one), but a bunch of bad parts got out. Just hope my replacement will have fully working parts. It needs to stream video from my Buffalo CloudStor NAS. It uses a PogoPlug app which I have already been told, is not available for it yet. Hopefully it will just recognize it on the network and anything else is gravy. I may even use OnLive on it.08-22-2012 10:50 PM
- I'm happy with mine. I already posted in another thread so I won't repeat that all here, but so far I like it more than my Revue.
Just wanted to let folks know that all hope is not lost - and they're not ALL bad.. I do hope those that have had a bad experience so far get some help from Vizio.08-23-2012 10:28 AM
- I think i had the same issue as some of y'all. After I did the update, it rebooted to a black screen. I unplugged it and tried again, and got the same thing. Tried it again and the third time seemed to be the charm and it booted all the way up. I've tried several times since, and it's worked every time since then.
Considering the thing has a power button to turn it on/off, I wish there were a light in the front telling you what state it was in.08-23-2012 08:06 PM
Mine was also shipped UPS, made the order yesterday and got the shipping number. Still has not been picked up after over 24 hours and they told me 8-11 days so we will see. Not even sure if they have the boxes to ship out yet.08-24-2012 12:12 AM
- I had the same problems as everyone else, but the Customer Service guy said to do a hard reset on the box, and after that it's been working really well. Not perfect (still some lag), but 10x better than the first time I set it up. Weird, I know, but I'm actually happy with it now.08-27-2012 03:46 PM
- I got mine today and it has been a headache. The initial setup was OK. Then came the update and reboot. And then it was a $100 coaster for a while. Several hard resets later, still nothing. Then I powered it up and held the reset button on the bottom for a LONG time. It came back to life, but I had to do the setup all over again, and now the TV codes that worked during the first setup don't work. I hope there will be better software soon, and I hope the next update goes better than the first. So far, I'm not impressed.08-27-2012 08:23 PM
- As said already Shipping SUCKED!
Installed mine and it never went to a setup screen.
A Google Play Account was already created with an email that isn't mine.
It is stuck in a loop of updating.
I am wondering if somehow I got a returned unit?
Called Vizio and after about an hour I was told they have no idea and will send me out another unit when the next shipment comes in!08-28-2012 09:33 PM
- 08-29-2012 12:59 AM
- We've had ours for two weeks now, and it's meh, coming from a Logitech Revue, which we loved.
Still getting used to the remote, which I swear is made for right-handed users (I'm left-handed). Flipping the remote over to access the QWERTY and it's always upside-down for me.
Still adding apps.
Functionally, haven't had any problems with it, except for we have another streaming media (SkyAngel) box connected to the HDMI Input and it doesn't seem to want to pass a good signal through. Don't really use the SkyAngel box much, so haven't taken a lot of time to troubleshoot.
For sure, "cutting the cord" has definitely helped to wean us away from the boob tube, and on to other pastimes, like reading.09-06-2012 01:48 PM
- I have remote issues. Nine days ago, Vizio tech support came to the conclusion that the remote was indeed bad, and will send out a new one. The replacment will be here on Wednesday of next week.
Hopefully the new remote will solve the problem, and I can try out the CoStar. The device itself has been a paper weight for the last two weeks. If the problem is not resolved with the replacement remote, I'm boxing it up and sending it back.09-07-2012 02:01 PM
- Besides the long wait for the uber-terrible Smart Post shipping, my device has been fine. This is my first Google TV device and I am please. I hope they can speed up the browser in future updates and I know more apps will be coming. So far Able Remote makes it worth the purchase b/c I can control my TV w/ my Nexus 7. Waiting patiently for the Play TV update that's supposedly in the works. I am annoyed that my Blu Ray surround sound won't seem to work with the remote. I tried all the generic codes and have been searching online for manual entries for the past few days w/ no success. Until I remedy that, I'll still prob watch Netflix and Amazon on my Xbox so I can have my surround sound.09-11-2012 10:41 PM
- Wanted to update my answers...I received my replacement and it has worked well for about a month now. Wish I could say it was hands down better than my revue but I can't.
It does the job of cord cutting/streaming much like my revue...with a lot of hand holding and TLC (Cache Cleaner/pulling plug to restart).
I think it has several things that are slightly better than the revue (netflix app) but one or two that are worse (like the stock media player).
Oh well...here's hoping the Nexus Q turns into a Google made Google TV box!10-01-2012 07:43 PM
- I have had no problems with my CoStar so far. I have had it about three weeks. I have to reboot once in awhile when it doesn't
respond but no big deal. I love the YouTube app and surfing the web on my TV. The only complaint I have is that most of the
Apps at the Google Store are not compatible.02-01-2013 07:53 PM
- Google Hardware, Services & Apps
- More Google Devices & Services
- Google TV
Vizio CoStar: Broken, Working, Happy, Pissed?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD