Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: UG802 Mini PC

My build number is rk30_box_ics_v2.0.120719
    rk30sdk-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D eng.hushishuai.20120903.103.449 test-key

Apparently it is a wifi problem with the firmware on some but not all of the UG802's. I got mine from oval elephant and the firmware from there batch seems to have this problem. Others have had good wifi results with different firmware. I just wish I knew that someone was working on a firmware fix for the affected units.

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Yep mine cam from oval elephant and mine sucks on wifi. I use mine with a ethernet to USB adapter and I love this thing. I dont remeber how much I paid for the adapter, I just yanked it from my Wii and I have it plugged into a USB hub along with other things and it all works great. No disconnecting and the speed is fast. I also put Apex on mine, and disabled the annoying on screen keyboard.

One question, can any ROM work on this thing? I already know how to root it. But I haven't rooted yet since I don't know what to do with it after I have rooted. The MK802 had ROMs that would enable the 360 gamepad and bluetooth dongles to work. But I don't know how those ROMs would do on a UG802. Doesn't the ROM need to be specifically made for the device?

Thanks to anyone that can offer some help on that.

Also, does anyone else notice that websites think the UG802 is a iPad? lol if I go to google, speedtest or pandora websites they each try to get me to download the iPad app.

@Saiga
    What setting in Apex launcher gets rid of the popup key board?

As for ROMs... no not just any ROM will work. It would have to be custom made specifically for the Rockchip 3066 hardware. Custom kernels builds might enable the 360 gamepad and bluetooth dongles to work. Over at flashmyandroid .com and slatedroid .com Their are ROMs built for Rockchip 3066 tablets. They might work on our UG802 but no one has tried flashing them yet. A guy at mindbuntu.blogspot .com/ did get a ClockworkMod version for the UG802 working. So thats good progress.
    Thanked by:
    Saiga 

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by userx View Post
    @Saiga
    What setting in Apex launcher gets rid of the popup key board?

As for ROMs... no not just any ROM will work. It would have to be custom made specifically for the Rockchip 3066 hardware. Custom kernels builds might enable the 360 gamepad and bluetooth dongles to work. Over at flashmyandroid .com and slatedroid .com Their are ROMs built for Rockchip 3066 tablets. They might work on our UG802 but no one has tried flashing them yet. A guy at mindbuntu.blogspot .com/ did get a ClockworkMod version for the UG802 working. So thats good progress.
    I wasn't able to find a setting to disable it permanetly. It is like they went out of their way to keep it there. I tried the null keyboards and they do not work. What I have been doing is going into settings and disabling the Android keyboard app. It works, but comes right back after I reboot it.

Thank you for the info about ROMs. I want to get a ROM on it, but I'm to scared to be the first one. lol hopefully the UG802 gets some attention from developers. I think it has a lot of potential. I am using it now to post this reply and I really enjoy the overall experience.

some users say that it needs a more powerful power supply to run more stably. Such as the 2A USB power for ipads.

i used samsung galaxy tab adapter 5v 2a and the wifi issue wasn't changed

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I wasn't able to find a setting to disable it permanetly. It is like they went out of their way to keep it there. I tried the null keyboards and they do not work. What I have been doing is going into settings and disabling the Android keyboard app. It works, but comes right back after I reboot it.

Thank you for the info about ROMs. I want to get a ROM on it, but I'm to scared to be the first one. lol hopefully the UG802 gets some attention from developers. I think it has a lot of potential. I am using it now to post this reply and I really enjoy the overall experience.
    Which settings app are you using? I use the stock android settings(blue icon) not the one with the gear icon.
    What I did was install Null Keyboard from the market. Then go to Settings--->Language and Input---->Select Null Keyboard(click ok)---->click Default---->Select Null Keyboard.
    That makes Null Keyboard the default keyboard app.
    The rockchip settings doesn't have a default setting so it tends to revert to the on screen keyboard.

In other news I'm a little pissed that there's no btusb.ko for bluetooth dongles. I just got 2 in and neither work.
    I'm going to try grabbing some from other rk3066 firmwares to see if I can get it to load.

I've started looking at another rk3066 stick from another manufacturer. I'm waiting for a sample, but I've been told I can have built in bluetooth. We'll see how it stacks up against the UG802.
    I'm still all about the ug802, it just seems like the latest firmware are lacking a bit. Perhaps they are preparing a JellyBean 4.1 for us(hint hint).

Quote Originally Posted by deadhp1 View Post

I've started looking at another rk3066 stick from another manufacturer. I'm waiting for a sample, but I've been told I can have built in bluetooth. We'll see how it stacks up against the UG802.
    I'm still all about the ug802, it just seems like the latest firmware are lacking a bit. Perhaps they are preparing a JellyBean 4.1 for us(hint hint).
    Here you have a new one, MK808, 8GB NAND FLASH and 4.1.1 JellyBean...

Free Shipping New MK808 Dual core Android 4.1TV Box Cortex A9 RK3066 1GB DRR3+8GB Nand Flash-in Set-top Boxes from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

deadhp1

I've seen a few peeps using the APKtools to mod the Frameworks.jar file to get the play store working for the US.

I've already rooted my device. But for the life of me I can't find any directions for a first-timer like me on how to install the tool.

I found the instructions on CNXSoft. I just can't get to the point so i can start following them. Do you know of some easy to follow steps on how to install APKtools for windows. Google hasn't turned anything up. Also Has anyone found a way to remove the nasty Rockchip display and back to Android 100% off the time?

I wrote the instructions for root and the Play Store fix on cnxsoft and mindbuntu.

You need to download and install JRE 1.6(Java Runtime Environment)
    Java SE Runtime Environment 7u2 Downloads
    After installation you'll need to add JRE to Path so you can run java files without typing in the full path to the JRE each time.
    Go to the control panel > System > Advanced > Environment Variables and edit the Path in System Variables. Add ";C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin" to the end of the PATH variable.

Then you need to download apktool and extract both files to your windows directory.(I didn't extract to the windows directory, so I have to navigate to c:\apktool\ in cmdline when I run it)

I hope that helped. I also received a report that my framework.jar works in the 9/03 firmware. Just make sure the permissions are the same as your framework.jar file. Also make sure to keep a backup of your framework.jar file somewhere.

Are you talking about the Rockchip Launcher? I just downloaded Launcher Pro from the Play Store and set that as my default launcher.

I have the new Framework.jar file ready to be uploaded.

When I try to replace the original file it won't allow it, saying not enough space or I do not have permission

Not sure what to do next...
    Last edited by GJN1; 09-18-2012 at 02:02 AM.

what happens if you open a new command prompt and type in "java". It should just come up with a list of options you can perform.

The fact is that apktool was working for you and now it's not. Maybe you should try a reboot then try to finish up what you were doing.

46003 only appears once. It was really annoying to me that it was placed in there. It totally limits the app store for other countries.

You need to mount /system as writeable.
    Install es file explorer and open it. Go into settings->Root Settings and check all the boxes.
    Then you should be able to replace the file. Don't forget to make sure the permissions are the same on the new file as they are on the old.(rw-r--r--) And don't forget to backup your old file.
    Also the new file should be all lowercase letters. "framework.jar"

On the ovaleleohantforum there's been someone posting about a firmware update that might fix our wifi issues. Only Ugoos' servers are overloaded.

Here's the link that supposed to be pointing to the firmware:
    http://ugoos.net/index.php?option=co...716&Itemid=108

Here's the link thats refering to the ovalelephant forum:
    Oval Elephant • View topic - WIFI issue

Good luck!

deadhp1

I will download file manager and try again tonight. The Go Launcher HD worked like a charm. Thanks

The only problem now is Im running into space restrictions. Only comes with 500MB available?

Have you seen the HK808? I was thinking of purchasing this as well...

yeah the 500mb is a bit of a problem. It can be remedied with a custom rom that changes the parameters.
    You can move applications over to the sd card, but it does affect boot times...it adds almost 20 seconds until the system is ready to use.

I like the look of the mk808. I really like the reset button! That's a big thing for me.
    I'm ordering a sample from the manufacturer to test against the ug802. I've had a side project going for a while(Dual Droid TV Stick on indiegogo) and I want to make sure that the best device is used. I just hope that the MOQ and price per unit compares with the ug802 considering I'm having the specifications upgraded.

For anyone wondering about the wireless in the ug802 I have some food for thought.
    I just updated the firmware on my sample unit. The one that came with really old firmware and great wireless.
    My wireless is fine with the firmware posted from Oval Elephant. It's now the same firmware that's running on my other ug802 that has flakey wireless.
    I'm thinking of opening it up and soldering a different antenna and checking the solder joints where the wifi module's antenna pads join the pcb.
    I recently added an antenna to my cx-01 and it improved the signal quality 100%.

good idea there with the dual droid stick. I have both ug802 and mk802. wifi and both is a joke, although it seems to the better on the ug802. I have tested both from approx 2m from the router. ug802 best its 30mbits, my virgin connection is 120mbps. I get around 5mbps on the mk802. As i am typing this the wireless disconnected whilst my son was watching mickey mouse so he doesnt like the wireless either!

I havent tried the ug802 from upstairs yet but the mk802 only gets around a meg. Overall i think the firmware on the mk802 is a lot better, i wouldnt feel right passing any ug802s onto my friends and family as theyr too buggy at the min crashing and having two seperate settings menus with conflicting options.

I was hoping these sticks would make me a bit of cash, i was wrong! The audio and video seem to be out by a fraction too on all devices!

One thing you might want to try is to set your router to channel 11. It might be set to auto change channels causing disconnects.

For the audio/video sync install some sort of cpu overclocker. I use Antutu CPU free version. I just have it set to performance and the audio/video sync isn't a problem at all.

My UG802 Download is ~15Mbps Upload ~10Mbps. The Verizon routers are usually defaulted to channel 1 or 11. matthewproud my A/V sync is slightly off, noticed it last night on youtube. I'm going to try deadhp1 suggestion and using Antutu.

But yet another app... deadhp1 do you have suggestions on where I can look for installing a ROM to help with the memory issue. I'm already using App2SD and it's not freeing enough space.

My ultimate goal is to install the sixaxis controller and download some emulators to double the UG802 as a gamer and not just A/V. More memory will be needed if I want to accomplish this. I wonder if the MK808 will have more memory out of the box?

GJN1,
    I just go into settings->apps and when I click on an app it has an option "Move to SD card" this has freed a bunch of space for me. I currently have 305MB free space.

If we can get a method to enter flash mode(bootloader) at boot so we can actually recover the UG802 I'll modify the stock rom to give 1GB for apps space.
    I have to leave some space for the internal fake micro-sd card partition so other apps can install.
    I could modify it for the full amount, but then we'd always have to have a micro-sd card installed.
    A side effect of this process would be that any newer firmware would have to be upacked, modified, and repacked before flashing it.

I have managed to put launcher pro on to get rid of tha horrible ui. Is there any info on using Ethernet, the starteck USB LAN works on my mk802ii but won't accept my setting on the ug802. Also is there any guides on moving the play store to uk as flag doesn't work in browser.

Cheers guys

I'm not sure about your usb lan, I only have off brand chinese ones.

Have you done the Play Store fix I have posted on my blog?
    You can change the Mobile Network Code to match the one of your choice in the UK.
    I only used T-Mobile USA because it's where I'm located and seemed easiest.
    If you're having problems with the guide let me know the code you want to use and I can change and upload framework.jar for you.
    Just make sure you let me know which firmware you have.
    I have the framework.jar for 7/13 and 9/03 firmwares.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewproud View Post
    I have managed to put launcher pro on to get rid of tha horrible ui. Is there any info on using Ethernet, the starteck USB LAN works on my mk802ii but won't accept my setting on the ug802. Also is there any guides on moving the play store to uk as flag doesn't work in browser.

Cheers guys
    If you are rooted you can use Market Enabler to switch the device location. Worked for me. Don't forget to clear google play app cache and data. MarketEnabler_v3113.apk - market-enabler
    Go into market-enabler app click Setting List. Pick country, click and hold the country. Click.. fake this provider now. If your country is not listed you can do enter a custom code under custom setting. Just find out your countries provider code.

Ok thanks lads I will give that a go when I get home!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast