Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: UG802 Mini PC

@deadhp1
    Any chance you can get the blue tooth working on this device. So we can use a blue tooth dongle for a wireless game controller.

Or you can change the carrier # in framework.jar.
    The Market Enabler is an excellent solution.
    I was using that until I got tired of having to clear the google play cache and data all the time.
    You can use the same # you fake with Market Enabler in the framework.jar mod.

I still haven't gotten bluetooth working in this device. It doesn't have the required drivers for usb bluetooth devices. I've tried 4 different dongles.
    I'm downloading other rk3066 tablet roms and looking for btusb.ko, but haven't had any luck yet. The idea is that I can put the .ko files into /system/libs/modules and insmod them.
    We pretty much need a new kernel build that includes usb bluetooth support. Without kernel sources we are at the mercy of the manufacturer

In other news I have a sample mk808 unit on it's way to me. I'll be testing it against the UG802 to see how it stacks up.
    Too bad the price of the mk808 seems a bit higher than the ug802.
    The mk808 actually has a reset button and if purchased in bulk can be had with bluetooth.
    It also has two mini or micro(not sure) usb ports and 1 full size.
    For hdmi it has a Mini hdmi female connector.
    The sample I'm getting is non-bluetooth so I won't be able to test that, but I am looking forward to seeing how the wifi and antenna compares with the UG802.
    Last edited by deadhp1; 09-19-2012 at 06:07 PM.

I got mine with 903 version and 50kb speed. I open it up and guess what. The antenna is one of those cell phone signal booster sticker thing. It looks like this.
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
    BUTTTTTTTTTTT, the sticker wasn't peal and stick on to the top of the case. I peal of the wax paper and stick it on to the roof of the case and my wifi was usable. I will post pictures with detail tomorrow.

Also, market enable reboot the stick everytime I try to run it.

Look at what I came across... Not confident if this unit is real deal, but it says "built-in bluetooth".
    UHOST aka... MK808 Android 4.1 jellybean
    Newest ! Android Google Tv Player 4.1 Mk808 Dongle

All these new android dongles are going to flood the market.
    I see hugh price drops in the next 3 weeks and months to fallow. Probably between $45-65 buck range.

Another...
    GV-20 Android 4.1 TV Dongle Mini PC A9 Dual Core 8gb

Another one...
    GV-20 Android 4.1 Mini PC TV Dongle Wifi HDMI A9 Dual Core 8gb

Another one with an antena... Geniatech ATV100
    Geniatech ATV100 TV stick, smart android HDMI stick

Another Geniatech version...
    Dual Core HDMI Stick, Dual Core TV Stick

Another vendor... Zero Devices from asiapads.com
    Android - Mini PC Stick - ZERO Devices Z2C - DualCore - 1GB DDR3 - 8GB [ AP-ATV-Z2C ] - Asia Pads . com

And dont forget VIZIO Co-Star Vizio Co-star
    What I like about the co-star is has built-in bluetooth. HDMI-in and HDMI-out. And comes with a pretty decent remote for $99 bucks. But it does not have root yet, publicly.
    Last edited by userx; 09-20-2012 at 07:19 AM.

First post - I see these popping up on ebay, at very different prices ( the ug802's ), at least one seller is honest enough to highly recommend a wired connection.

as far as I know the mk808 is not available with bluetooth....yet. It contains the rk901 wireless. The rk903 is the one with bluetooth, wifi b/g/n, and fm reciever(if tied to rk3066 ic2 ports, and extra antenna) I have a mk808 sample on the way from the manufacturer.
    The Zero z2c is probably a rebadged mk808. As is the GV-20.

The Geniatech devices are interesting, but I have as of yet been unable to order a sample. They have proven a little difficult to deal with.
    The Geniatech atv100 is based on the single core aml8726-M3 soc.
    The Geniatech atv120 is based on the dual core aml8726-MX soc.

I'm most interested by the Geniatech atv120, but I probably won't be able to get one. I wasn't able to get the atv100 and that's been out for a while. It's not lack of trying.

The play store modification worked like a charm, thanks deadhp1

Also on a positive note I can now use my Galaxy S3 as a remote to control my UG802, with the help of the DroidMote Server and client. This was the my first app ever purchased.

Since then I had been using an old Dell bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Next step is to pair the PS3 controller with SixAxis and play some N64/PSX emulators.

deadhp1, have you been able to boot Ubuntu on the UK802?

Quote Originally Posted by deadhp1 View Post
    I still haven't gotten bluetooth working in this device. It doesn't have the required drivers for usb bluetooth devices. I've tried 4 different dongles.
    I'm downloading other rk3066 tablet roms and looking for btusb.ko, but haven't had any luck yet. The idea is that I can put the .ko files into /system/libs/modules and insmod them.
    We pretty much need a new kernel build that includes usb bluetooth support. Without kernel sources we are at the mercy of the manufacturer

In other news I have a sample mk808 unit on it's way to me. I'll be testing it against the UG802 to see how it stacks up.
    Too bad the price of the mk808 seems a bit higher than the ug802.
    The mk808 actually has a reset button and if purchased in bulk can be had with bluetooth.
    It also has two mini or micro(not sure) usb ports and 1 full size.
    For hdmi it has a Mini hdmi female connector.
    The sample I'm getting is non-bluetooth so I won't be able to test that, but I am looking forward to seeing how the wifi and antenna compares with the UG802.

I want droidmote on mine so bad....I just haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

No native ubuntu yet...I haven't really tried too hard.
    I did get a chroot ubuntu going for a bit. It felt pretty quick even through a VNC. I'd say almost the same speed as my old asus 701 netbook. So it was useable.

I am interested in the mk808. If the second ug802 sent to me doesn't have improved wifi, I may move on to one of these, but only if the kinks are worked out a little better with the mk808 wifi.

UG802+, Is this a new UG802 version?

iBex UG802+ Elite Mini PC Android 4.0.4 RK3066 HDMI Dongle TV Stick 1.6Ghz 4gb

Lastly, the iBex UG802+ will has a stronger WIFI signal than other generic dongles. Ibex ensures the quality of each dongle stick as iBex stringently tests each unit before shipping. In addition, there will be a custom iBex UG802+ rom released shortly. Later firmware uprades will be free to iBex customers.

Review
    aPad.TV The home of the aPad. Forums - ibex UG802 + Review and Video Demonstration

One of the retailers I have contacted has told me these details about the MK808 (not sure for sales/marketing purposes or something else or may be they are correct):

this MK808 is dual core CPU, Quad Core GPU, Integrated Graphics Mali400.
    Changes not only the memory storage. the most important is MK808 has DUAL WIFI, DUAL cooling chips around. so there will be NO wifi signal problems that you worry about.

I have ordered my MK808 through express delivery on aliexpress with them. I also have a UG808 coming to me in a few days time (may be later than these) and will keep you posted on how both perform in comparison.

Regards,

It seems to me that the ibex stick is the same hardware wise. Maybe their firmware is compatible with the unbranded ug802's

I'm still awaiting my order of an unbranded ug802 (ugoos'), so couldn't say anything about if it works or not.

@jlcd

ibex supplier is full of BS. I talked to him about the unit he is selling. He admitted its the same dongle. It's all about marketing guys. They know their is a firmware bug and wifi issues. They are adjusting their selling tactics and making it sound different on paper to make a buck. I would love to see proof of any physical differences. Next up after UG802+ model fails, they add special secret sauce for UG802++.
    Last edited by userx; 09-21-2012 at 04:06 PM.

But aren't they using using other firmware then, maybe with the newer driver for the wifi chip?

There was a post on the avs forum, gist of it said no xbmc on rockchip device ( we'll see.. ), said rockchip is known for violating the gpl.

Quote Originally Posted by szantinge View Post
    But aren't they using using other firmware then, maybe with the newer driver for the wifi chip?
    Their is no proof of that. I'm not gona be a test bunny with my cash. We are the beta testers. Might be ok for some early adopters to tinker with. But hoping they send you a bug free unit might be wishful thinking. I'll wait tell all the bugs are worked out. I already got burned once.
    Last edited by userx; 09-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    matthewproud likes this.

Mine constantly reboot when I try to open an app. Very random too. Any idea?

What power source are you using, how many and wich devices are connected by usb?

Try removing usb devices one by one and check everytime if it gets better. Seems like a power issue. Also read about someone getting constant hickups when he connected a usb ethernet adapter from a certain brand.

Good news to report.
    The wifi issue is confirmed by me, "weak antenna problem". I opened up the case to see if the antenna was attached. Yes, confirmed. But the signal was extremely weak. Why? Because it is being blocked by the ug802 case. The wifi wire and antenna is simply to small. It's a mini square piece of antenne film. Like the ones found in laptops. But this one is 1/8th the size of a normal laptop internal wifi. Very small and compact for the unit but does not providing a clear signal to pass through the case.

So I hooked the unit back into my HDTV. Without closing the casing to see if their was any improvement.
    BAM... Wifi signal locked onto my network is seconds.The signal strength improved 100%. I was shocked.
    Problem wifi is solved for now. But the unit is bare and will need a fix for that.

Now getting the case open is difficult and required a very thin piece of metal to pry open each retainer. I used needle nose tweezers. These retainers are built into the plastic case. They will break if you force them open, So if you do decide to open the case be very careful and work slowly. You will damage the plastic case unit in doing this autopsy. You have been warned! If your going to return your unit, do not open it.

Here is a picture if the UG802 schematics and photos of the open case... see the tiny plastic clips!
    And tiny wifi square antenna...

Here are my new signal results... my network is XXXXXXX at -47dbm
    Before opening the case I was getting below -70dbm with no connection.
    Use the Wifi Analyzer app to confirm your signal strength. Weak or strong.

I can now stream 1080p HD at full bandwidth speeds over wifi. It's a HUGH improvement.
    Plus, as you can see the wifi is now picking up the local networks in my area.
    That was not possible before exposing the wifi antenna in this unit.

It's not safe to leave the unit exposed. It might cause damage, short circuits, shock...ect
    Maybe we can figure a way to affix a mini wifi antenna like this. Now that would really be a proper a antenna
    Last edited by userx; 09-22-2012 at 09:10 AM.

I don't see where you've written or found any instructions on how to root the UG802 to get the full google play store. Thanks for any help you can provide. Truly appreciate it.

I made a forum just for android tv sticks. Information is just way too spread out for all these devices. I'd like to put it all in one spot.
    Instructions are in there.
    www.ArmTvTech.com • View forum - UG802

Also they are on my blog mindbuntu.blogspot.com
    Thanked by:

you will need the MarketEnabler_v3.apk to change the settings from the default ( Chinese ) to another region.
    If you use the .apk, don't forget to clear the google play app cache and data.

I've posted 3 different roms for the ug802 on my forum. All rooted and have my Play Store fix applied.
    Enjoy!
    Thanked by 4:
    bgdpmp79 and matthewproud like this.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast