Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: UG802 Mini PC

Try turning down the transmit power at the rooter to around 40% it seems to have done the trick for me 700kbps to almost 20mbps.

Hi, Please donot follow what I am going to say. You might damage your UG802. I do not know what will be changed. With that said......
    I have applied the above .apk to my UG802. Wifi is perfect now. Well, the speed test is showing only 2mbps Max when it should have been 8+Mbps. I can watch an HD movie from You Tube perfectly, Once movie started, it never stopped. I like it. Wifi constantly kept on. Before installing the above fix, I thought of about buying a Range booster/ run a wire etc. Now it is not needed. Only downside is I am seeing only 1.5Mbps to 2Mbps on speedtest.net -- I am not sure, How Youtube 1080 HD movie is streaming so fast.

If you look at my previous posts on page 3 of this thread you will see my SpeedTest.net results in the ballpark of 15 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up. I have found the orientation of the device makes a HUGE difference in the quality and strength of the wifi. When my device is horizontal, signal reception sucks. Mine came with a short HDMI cable which allows me to hang it vertical. That's when I get a good solid connection. You may want to play around with yours and see if it makes a difference.

Hi just to ask if anyone uses a thumbdrive or hdd via usb? my playback for 1080p n some 720p are as bad as streaming over wifi. is it a hub issue as I'm sharing mouse/keybd and the hdd...

my experience thus far:
    1080p is no go from local or network store.
    my fhd mkvs are 4gb and up and plays 99% on my phone Note v1.
    as long as file i/o is not critical everything is fantastic n fast.

Quote Originally Posted by serwei View Post
    Hi just to ask if anyone uses a thumbdrive or hdd via usb? my playback for 1080p n some 720p are as bad as streaming over wifi. is it a hub issue as I'm sharing mouse/keybd and the hdd...
    You can watch streaming 1080p videos via the YouTube app without any pauses. This would suggest the UG802 hardware is not the issue. If you are having problems watching other 1080p sources the problem is choice of player, server or your own connection speed.

How can it be connection speed if it's usb? I presume you haven't tried usb?

Anyway I've tried the included ehome player, mxplayer, bsplayer. The only smooth player was the Gallery player but it doesn't support any other functionality except play.

What's your setup? Is ehome upnp scanning suposed to take hours?

Thanks!

I only did one test video at 1080p that was accessed with the eHomemedia app on the UG802. The file was on my laptop. It was a wireless N connection with no other wireless devices on my wireless N network. My other wireless G devices are on a separate router so the N connection does not get pulled down to G speed. The video was about 10 minutes long and I watched it with mxPlayer with the mxPlayer ARMv7 codec add on. I did not get any stuttering. Watching 1080p videos with the YouTube app works perfect. I have not tried any other 1080p sources.

Maybe the definitive fix on the WIFI issue (worked for me)

OK hopefully this is the definitive word on the slow wifi. The Wifi problem is not just one issue. It is a hardware issue and a software issue with a 2 step approach to fixing it. (with an optional third step). I used the speedtest app to watch my wifi increase. Although when I first started my wifi was so slow I couldn't even download the app. :cry:

Step 1 Software change: REDUCE THE SCREEN RESOLUTION

Change screen resolution under

settings: screen : HDMI mode : from 1080p to 720p.

The first step was a big deal for me which got my wifi speeds up to a respectable limit. Maybe 1mbps-5mbps. I may try 1080p again some time now that I have done step 2.

Step 2 hardware change: POINT THE WIFI ANTENNA AT YOUR ROUTER MINIMIZING INTERFERENCE

I am now using an HDMI cord longer than the included hdmi cord than comes with the unit. You may need a female to female HDMI adapter to use your long cord if it is a male to male. I just don't think the included short cord gives quite enough range for the best speeds. (meaning it doesn't allow you to move your unit around the room trying different positions with the speedtest app. Keep in mind for most units that the wifi antenna is underneath the green android guy. Pointing him toward my router at an elevation of about waist level gave me the best speed. I affixed it in place once I got the right position with the best speeds (the cords were a bit ugly off the side of the tv but no biggy). It is about a foot away from the TV at waist level with the side of the UG802 with the android guy on it facing my router but try a position that works for you. Others have suggested opening the unit and taking out the wifi antenna. I did that and it works too instead of this step but in my opinion I worry about shearing off that fragile little cord and this way you don't have to void your warranty. This step got my wifi speeds up to about 14mbps which is about what I get on my laptop in the same room. BTW I think my router is about at shoulder level in the next room through two walls so that may explain why the ug802 works best at waist level or higher for me)

Step 3 hardware change: TRY NEW MINI USB POWER CORDS

( Optional step: I am not sure if changing the amperage makes that big of a deal but it does give you more room to move your UG802 around at the very least.)

I tried a USB charger with slightly lower amperage and a longer cord than the included cord. The included cord had 5V 2A and a short USB power cord. I tried a cord with 5 V and 0.6 A and this cord just was underpowered and sent my UG802 into a boot loop. The third cord I chose was another usb to mini usb off of an LG optimus that had 5.1V and 0.7A and that seems to have done the trick. (no more bootloops and a longer cord to move the unit around with better.) I am not sure how much power the unit needs although some have suggested that being too close to the power source, like being too close to the TV could lower wifi speeds due to interference.

HOPEFULLY THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE WIFI FIX FOR MOST PEOPLE AS I HAVE SPENT HOURS SEARCHING FORUMS AND EXPERIMENTING. HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU!!!

jonesmamma

One thing I found was that the position of the RF dongle of my Rii Mini keyboard was critical to its performance. If it was directly attached to the female usb port of the UG802 it did not track well. If it was in front of the tv or hanging off the side attached to the male to female usb cord that comes with the unit, it tracked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesmamma View Post
    One thing I found was that the position of the RF dongle of my Rii Mini keyboard was critical to its performance. If it was directly attached to the female usb port of the UG802 it did not track well. If it was in front of the tv or hanging off the side attached to the male to female usb cord that comes with the unit, it tracked perfectly.
    Many of the mini keyboards with small dongles perform like this. I don't think it's a defective issue.

Agree Youtube is fast... do you have a USB port to try?

I think it works better over network than over USB. I was using only a 6Mbps video bitrate with 4Mbps audio, and MX Player was having problems. Do you have subtitles?
    The eHome also takes very long to index the UPNP. I can't get the Media Player part to detect all the files.

Anyway the microUSB POWER connector of my UG802 just broke off. Was very fragile, snapped like a biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGuy89183 View Post
    I only did one test video at 1080p that was accessed with the eHomemedia app on the UG802. The file was on my laptop. It was a wireless N connection with no other wireless devices on my wireless N network. My other wireless G devices are on a separate router so the N connection does not get pulled down to G speed. The video was about 10 minutes long and I watched it with mxPlayer with the mxPlayer ARMv7 codec add on. I did not get any stuttering. Watching 1080p videos with the YouTube app works perfect. I have not tried any other 1080p sources.

Agree Youtube is fast... do you have a USB port to try?

o you have subtitles?
    1. Try what?
    2. I watched a couple of nature videos for testing so no subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGuy89183 View Post
    I received my RC11 air mouse today and have been using it most of the evening with the UG802. IMO, it is a regrettable purchase. I expected the pointer to track something similar to aiming a laser pointer. Instead, I must constantly correct where the remote is aiming at the screen so that the remote is "aiming" where the pointer is on the screen. Hard to describe, but once you use this remote you know exactly what I mean. Also, when trying to click a really small icon on a web page it is difficult to get the pointer on the icon and keep it on that spot when you click. The only advantage I can see over a keyboard mouse combo is that it is much easier to travel with.
    Sorry my post about the Rii mini keyboard RF dongle was in response to this post

Hi there. I've just received my UG802 and tried out for 1st time. It booted fine and connected to wwifi no problems. I then tried to stream video from a tv catch up site and it was unable to stream. Tried some other similar sites . No go. Tried the YouTube app pre loaded and it also was unable play anything. Bummer as this is what i primarily wanted to do with this device. It also seems to be very limited as to what is available via Google app store. I've tried installing Flash player but it says it is not supported by my device. What can i do? Any simple fixes?

I fixed the antenna problem by opening the case and danging the wire outside the case. Instantly went from poor to good.
    I now have the ug802 sitting in a conical, steel vegetable strainer and wifi works great. I only have adsl 1500/256
    but i max out my available download / upload speeds without a worry.

That is very interesting question.Does 802 support ADOBE FLASH PLAYER??

Default Maybe the wifi antenna is not the problem

I recently received my UG802 from DX, and to my pleasant surprise, wifi is horrible :P

The problem may not be a faulty antenna or firmware, but very likely could be the power supply.

At first, performance issue is intermittent - sometimes it will be less than 700kbps, but after some resets, it can go up to 10-11Mbps (on a N-router). I didn't use any tool to measure the local network throughput...just tested it with speedtest.net's app. I get 20Mbps+ on all my other devices and computers (both wired and wireless).

When I powered the unit with the TV USB port, the wifi issue went away, and I could get 20Mbps - but due to the lower current rating, the display would black-out periodically. So, I tried with a 2A power supply for iPad...and the results have been nothing but pleasant. No more wifi issues!

So, it's likely that the wifi issue is caused by interference from a poorly designed power supply.

Can someone with a radio frequency scanner confirm this finding?

Anyway the microUSB POWER connector of my UG802 just broke off. Was very fragile, snapped like a biscuit.
    Hi Serwei,

mine is broken too... (charging microusb female on the motherboard broke off like a biscuit ... )

Did You find any solution?
    I've tried today soldering it, but was imposibile (just try to connect only 2 fire, GND and + pole, relatively 5-th and 1-st pins).
    Nothing to do.

Let me know if You or anybody else find a solution for the broken microusb charging slot ...

Thanks,
    Shklifo

Hello everybody! Sorry for borrowing the thread. I've got an UG802 on which i was gonna install a heatsink on. But when cracking the case open, i accidentally ruined a resistor on the CPU side of the board. I am pointing it out on userx's image here:

It would be awesome if someone knew what resistance it has so that i can replace it. Maybe someone with an opened UG802 that has a multimeter would be able to measure it?

Thanks in advance.

Hello guys!
    I recently bought UG802 but the stick is unable to find any wifi network at all! I opened the case to see if the wifi antenna is properly connected, and found no problem at all. UG802 still can not find the router. Is there a solution for this?
    Thanks.

My personal experience , I've worked the internet with a UG 802 it is dependable so long as the permission to allow unknown sources box remains unchecked ie locked as a stand alone devise.It took a few weeks of reviewing this to be convinced it is reliable and will reply all media precisely A''AS PROVIDED" quality depends
    on this factor more than all else with wifi connect,it can be commanded from line it is likely the production of the item in regards to manufacture overstated otherwise.

yeah well in reply to a question of whats new about the 802 not much from what I'ver read as I'd expect it is a copy of a wireless communicans devise dates well before the public afford of internet communication vend.....

Sure follow the poor written instuctions it came with . Hey no joke follow the prompts with the instruct the once on line erace the settings back to factory three or four times ....yeah for practice.

The 802 has a flash player with limitations as a stand alone.....
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast