1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM

Question Do you have to have cable to use Google TV

I thought I saw this as a requirement once, but I can't find for sure, most images I see show it with a cable box. Can someone confirm?

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

Default Re: Do you have to have cable to use Google TV

You need an internet connection. For me that requires a cable provider.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You are not required to have cable, but Google TV is not so much a replacement for cable as much as it's an enhancement for cable/satellite.

If I didn't have cable, I'd have little use for Google TV.

You do not need a cable (TV) connection. I used mine for a long time without cable tv for video podcasts, like AC's podcast I can watch on my TV rather than a computer, sometimes browsing the net.
    Recently, I was put on a promo by my local provider so I got HD cable, and I have it running through my Google TV. It does enhance it quite a bit with a cable (HDMI) connection. Pic in pic, enhanced video listings, etc.
    CrackBerrian

Global Posts
    30,828 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0, iOS 5.1, BB10

Like DrH said you don't need Cable/Sat, BUT it IS supported. You just need to have an internet connection and you can use your GTV directly connected to your TV. In some cases you can even get some stations via the GTV, but this is made difficult by the stations themselves as many block GTV (most), but there are solution. HOWEVER if you do have cable, it can be connected to the GTV as Doc said and greatly enhances the expierence. You can do pip, and there are apps that support using the internet and gathering info about the TV and then letting you go to the tv station/program in question. GTV works well with cable/sat!
    Rich C. (PKcable)

Visitor from CrackBerry.com!

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Like DrH said you don't need Cable/Sat, BUT it IS supported. You just need to have an internet connection and you can use your GTV directly connected to your TV. In some cases you can even get some stations via the GTV, but this is made difficult by the stations themselves as many block GTV (most), but there are solution. HOWEVER if you do have cable, it can be connected to the GTV as Doc said and greatly enhances the expierence. You can do pip, and there are apps that support using the internet and gathering info about the TV and then letting you go to the tv station/program in question. GTV works well with cable/sat!
    I use it without a pay Tv service. Netflix, web. Hey Pk! Long time no see! I see you moved on from the BB's on Crackberry to android. Good to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    CrackBerrian

Global Posts
    30,828 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0, iOS 5.1, BB10

Quote Originally Posted by WhoolioPreludee View Post
    I use it without a pay Tv service. Netflix, web. Hey Pk! Long time no see! I see you moved on from the BB's on Crackberry to android. Good to see you!
    WP,

I am a user of all platforms. On Android I have a GTV, plus a Nexus7, but I still use a BB 9930 as my phone. I also still use a BB PlayBook on a daily basis. I have an ipod touch and I used to have an ipad.
    Rich C. (PKcable)

Visitor from CrackBerry.com!