google hangout (google talk video calling) capabilities yet?

morrisdl

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I scanned the forum, but not seeing anything....Do any google tv devices including the any of the new CES boxes have google hangout (google talk video calling) capabilities yet? If my cellphone can, why not these on the big screen? the mic on the new asus cube remote would be handy for this too.

zyphbear

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I agree with that the usefulness would be great since I could gtalk/hangout or even use Skype depending on compatibility. But from experience and availability, it looks like it's not really A feature that companies seem to have high on their lists. I have tried even plugging in a USB camera to mine (Sony Google TV unit with up to 3.2) and it does not work. I had heard "once upon a time" that the Logitech units could do a basic video calling to other sister units before one of the software updates, but then the feature was removed.
It does feel like some companies would rather release a device that directly connects to a TV with its own software and higher price (example: Logitech has a device that does just that, but costs about $200) than make something that could be used for those of us with a Google TV and would be a lower price point.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It could be cool, but not sure exactly how it would work. In most cases the device is stashed away behind the TV or in the entertainment center. Where would the camera go, how would you position it to catch your face?