MK808B Mini PC is awesome....so far.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So I've had this mini-pc for about a week and I love it. I'm rather surprised these things aren't catching on very quickly. Anyway, anyone else have one here? Seems mine was rooted from the factory, although according to geekbuying and the web in general it shouldn't be. I did, however, read other posts where a users claimed it was factory rooted. Motorobo wouldn't find the drivers. So I decided to just see if I could download SuperSu and it worked, as did AdAway and Droidmote (only real reasons I found to root it...it's on a 720p TV). Anyone else? I'm pretty much a crachflasher on my nexus, but I can't really see any reason to flash roms/firmware until something new comes out or I have a problem. I really only use it to watch HBO Go, Netflix, and a bit of browsing. Am I missing something?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Guess you're all missing out! This little thing is seriously awesome. I've put it through it's paces at this point and have streamed Netflix/HBO for a few straight hours and the device wasn't even warm to the touch. Only complaint that is rather glaring is there's no way to remotely turn the device on (unless you're powered via the TV's USB...which I doubt would truly provide sufficient power). Sure, you can turn it off via droidmote or whatever keyboard/mouse setup you're using, but then you have to unplug the power and replug it in to power it on. Also, I can confirm my mk808B came factory rooted (bought from geekbuying).

warrenf

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm running my MK802 ver2 off my Vizio usb power, works fine. Would by interested in seeing results from Antutu and Nenamark benchmarks aps on your unit.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Nexus 7
Droid Razr
MK-802

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm running my MK802 ver2 off my Vizio usb power, works fine. Would by interested in seeing results from Antutu and Nenamark benchmarks aps on your unit.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Nexus 7
Droid Razr
MK-802

Sure, no problem. Curious myself. I'll post them for you sometime after work tonight. GB showed an Antutu score of 9955 on their site. We'll how mine does.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-05-21-51-38.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-05-21-51-38.png
    553.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_2013-02-05-21-50-20.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-05-21-50-20.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 34

enrocelrosu

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
hi! i'm a total noob for this

how does this compare to something like say Roku? don't you get more with roku's channels?
can you do more with this box? i understand it's got a full blown android on it but even so, how can you get all the channels you'd get in the 40$ roku?

thanks much!

enro

MattyGTwenty3

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking about grabbing an MK808b myself for a while.
Did you get that Antutu score on stock firmware?
Any additional comments now that you've owned it a while?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I'm not sure what other "channels" are available on a Roku, but I'd imagine everything that isn't literally owned by Roku is available. I can do most everything my smartphone or pc can do. Can a Roku?

Matty - Yes, those scores are on the stock firmware. Not too shabby. Not really any additional comments. It works very well and hasn't flinched yet. I'd certainly recommend it and also recommend getting it from geekbuying. They do not sell clones and offer great customer support (for those who have needed it).

Chris Gerhard

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure why these devices are discussed in the Google TV section. I don't own an Android mini PC or mini stick or Android TV, not sure what they are supposed to be called, but I do own Roku and Google TV. As far as comparison to Roku, I know there isn't much other than both can stream internet TV content and that obviously means a lot of the same content. Roku is so easy to set up and the channels make accessing the content very easy and Roku despite using a very modest processor is optimized for streaming and provides really good quality for the most part. Much of the content accessible by Roku will be accessible with an Android mini PC web browser but Roku will probably be a much better option for content both can access. It is also likely the Android mini PC can access a lot of content not accessible with Roku since Roku doesn't have a web browser, all content is accessed by Roku channels set up by Roku or third parties providing private or public channels. Google TV does have a web browser and I can access a lot I can't access with Roku as a result, but for the things both Roku and Google TV do, Roku usually does better or easier so I use both.

If you are a cord cutter and just want to have an easy way to access content and Roku provides the content you want, it is probably the best option. I don't know how these little Android boxes would suit someone looking for an easy way to watch TV after returning their cable box, I suspect not very well. Google TV differs by being designed primarily to work in conjunction with a traditional TV source, I use OTA and Google TV combines internet TV sources with an OTA guide and the modified Google TV Android operating system is much friendlier for this purpose to my way of thinking than standard Android. Google TV controls my TiVo and everything is viewed using the same control and same HDMI input on the display, the female head of household sure finds that preferable to any other setup I have come up with. My only other Android device is an HP TouchPad running the cyanogen mod Android 4.0x so I am far from an Android expert.

rogerjenn1

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Quote: I'm running my MK802 ver2 off my Vizio usb power, works fine. Would by interested in seeing results from Antutu and Nenamark benchmarks aps on your unit.

The CozySwan UG007, which is a later variant of the *802 MiniPC devices, shows 7,044 as its AnTuTu score (see screen captures with Device and System Infos at OakLeaf Systems: First Look at the CozySwan UG007 and Other Android 4.1+ MiniPC Devices, scroll down.)

The forthcoming quad-core Tronsmart T428 gets a 18,706 AnTuTu score (see screen capture at OakLeaf Systems: First Look at the CozySwan UG007 and Other Android 4.1+ MiniPC Devices, scroll down.)

Cheers,

--rj

Robert8765309

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I bought a mk808b for only one reason like
Many others im sure to stream tv movies and have dvr
Options by adding a hard drive to it. Yes talking about XMBC
I love that app/program. And yes I am very surprised this
Has not caught on in a big way.

t_wysocki

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hooked up mine today. First problem I notice is that when I use the browser to see the web, many websites elect to give me the mobile version of their sites even though I'm running display on a widescreen. Is there any way to fool these sites into just letting me see the full version of their sites?

frankal

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hooked up mine today. First problem I notice is that when I use the browser to see the web, many websites elect to give me the mobile version of their sites even though I'm running display on a widescreen. Is there any way to fool these sites into just letting me see the full version of their sites?

there is an option in the browser to elect Desktop site: eg. in chrome browser... as shown here: CNET How To...
other browsers (boat, firefox, etc) have similar options
hope that helps

Glenny6766

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought the mk808B today and plugged it in to the TV, straight away the Google TV logo comes up and then the screen moves into a screen with the word "Android". It then stays on this screen and wont do anything. Does anyone have any advice please. Thanks

motorbelly

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Glenny6766- I just got one yesterday and I didn't have my bluetooth keyboard on, it moved right on when I turned it on and rebooted. Maybe that helps?

Good luck!

I've been a bit disappointed with the desktop. Seems to be fixed and un-editable except for background. Maybe I'm missing a setting somewhere...