$300 for Logitech Revue too much?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Too much. I was planning on jumping on it first thing, but I think I'll wait until Christmas for the sales and/or other options.

It would be one thing if it would completely replace my cable subscription, because $300 would be money well spent if it could replace the cable bill.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I agree... I was about to jump on it if it was competitive with Apple's $99 fee. I think $300 is too much, especially if they want to corner the TV market anytime soon.

Roku looks tempting, I just would like something with mobile streaming included too. I heard that they are planning something like that in the near future.

simplygoogletv

Jul 13, 2010
simplygoogletv.com
It's a lot, and if you don't have cable or satellite, you need to spend more on an STB. Best option I can find so far is a $200 TiVo, so I'd need to spend $500 for Google TV, yuk!

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
It depends on the features. $300 is pricey, but with the right features it could be worth it.

What I expect for $300:
-1080p HDMI out
-Optical sound out
-USB and/or eSATA ports for external HDDs and USB flash drives
-On-board storage
-Slots for SD cards
-802.11N WiFi and 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
-Network streaming of any media type
-Market apps actually being functional
-DVR functionality
-Able to use it without cable or satellite service

And that's pretty much just hardware specs. I'm not 100% sure what Google TV is meant to do, but I envision being able to type the name of a show, House for example, and it gives me the listing of when it is on TV either OTA, or through my satellite or cable provider, as well as any sources where I can watch it online. I should also be able to add in custom sources for where I want it to search for online viewing. It should also have full HTML web browsing with all the popular browser plug-ins.

For a $300 set top box, I expect a lot.

Last edited:

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
For $300 it better be a replacement to cable TV. As it stands right now, it doesn't look like that is the case.

Maybe the push-back of the release is due to the poor reaction to the purchase price?

matrix2004

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
It was delayed until 10/18 for Dish Network customers.

As for the price, don't forget it has a built in Logitech Harmony which is worth 1-2 hundred dollars and a wireless keyboard.

PeteyNice

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Count me as failing to see the value. It looks like it is a Roku with a fancy interface and some how an ability to play/schedule recordings on your current STB. That is a lot to pay for a fancy interface. It can't compete with a Tivo for overall features and it can't compete with a Roku/AppleTV on price. What is it trying to compete with?

I was really excited. I thought it would have onboard storage to do recordings and be able to replace the PC that drives my entertainment system now. For that I would pay $300. Google may be a powerful brand but I can't see people paying that much for yet another box.

ETA: After watching the video I am even less impressed. You still have to use your crappy cablebox interface to use the channel guide or see your recordings. So all it is is glue between your cablebox and IPTV. For $300? Are you kidding me? The Harmony features are nice but the early adopter crowd this is aimed at likely has a Harmony already.

Last edited:

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Count me as failing to see the value. It looks like it is a Roku with a fancy interface and some how an ability to play/schedule recordings on your current STB. That is a lot to pay for a fancy interface. It can't compete with a Tivo for overall features and it can't compete with a Roku/AppleTV on price. What is it trying to compete with?

I was really excited. I thought it would have onboard storage to do recordings and be able to replace the PC that drives my entertainment system now. For that I would pay $300. Google may be a powerful brand but I can't see people paying that much for yet another box.

ETA: After watching the video I am even less impressed. You still have to use your crappy cablebox interface to use the channel guide or see your recordings. So all it is is glue between your cablebox and IPTV. For $300? Are you kidding me? The Harmony features are nice but the early adopter crowd this is aimed at likely has a Harmony already.

I agree. Wasn't impressed with the presentation today. Maybe if they had signed deals with all the networks and were going to stream all the shows into the unit, that might change my mind. But having just another box that provides netflix and facebook is not an attraction.

Sharpy

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have faith in Google to do this right...look at what people were saying about the Android operating system 2 years ago...

It's a chunk of change, but I ordered mine thru Amazon....we'll see

theoverdrive

Banned
May 21, 2010
Visit site
If you didn't already see this, here's a way to get about $60 off of the Revue if you buy directly from Logitech:

Logitech Trade-in Program

Just trade-in any of your older Logitech devices - keyboards, mice, webcams, whatever. I probably wouldn't trade-in your Harmony remote, though ;)

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
not too much

Pre ordered mine. If you look at what it is/ will/should be capable of its a fair price. If all you want is to stream netflix then, yeah a bit pricey. Fair price to me, but I love my gadgets.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
As far as recording on it I think it records some things to the cloud. Not sure about it. And as someone posted here earlier it has some if not all of the harmony remote control functions. Im sure a cheaper version will be out next year when Google TV gets opened up.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have faith in Google to do this right...look at what people were saying about the Android operating system 2 years ago...

It's a chunk of change, but I ordered mine thru Amazon....we'll see

I have faith that Google TV will be everything we hope it could be. I do not have faith that this device is the device that solves the problem that Google TV will become the answer for.

I am pulling for it though. If it can become that great thing we all hope for, then I will be on 100%.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm expecting competition to reduce the prices when I'm ready to buy in a few months. If it can help me drop my cable subscription, then $300 is not too much.

Imparatus

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I came, I watched the demo, I left unimpressed. For the price, this device should allow REPLACEMENT of cable/sat bill, not add to it. In addition, what about those of us who have sat boxes (I have 2 duals) located somewhere else in the house, and who utilize radio frequency remotes to manipulate them? Does this thing come with radio frequency remote technology? Can it be placed at the TV Display unit if there is no sat receiver physically located there?

I spend a LOT on gadgets and technology, but this is way, WAY too much for the demonstrated functionality. Even with the DISH discount I would get, it's just not worth it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX