Google TV stuck at boot screen.

digipaul

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. A friend gave me an android tv box that they assure me was working fine. I've hooked it up to the power, via usb and 5v DC, and to the tv via hdmi. All I seem to get is four penguins in the top left of the tv, flashing on and off. I have tried a hard/factory reset, but it always comes back to the penguins! I have a remote, but that seems to have no effect - I even plugged a usb keyboard in, which allows me to navigate the menu in the hard reset screen, but nothing else. I'm new to these devices - I have an Apple TV but nothing android til now. My tv box looks like this 'un: http://www.hfigl.com/uploadfile/201339239319451.jpg

Hoping someone can help. Thanks!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android tv help needed

Welcome to Android Central! I'm not familiar with Android TV boxes in general, but are you saying that you have it plugged into the TV's USB port as well? Is that really necessary? TV USB ports are usually for firmware updates or viewing JPEGs, but I'm not sure if it's necessary to connect the Android box to the TV via USB. The Android box should be able to output its audio and video signal purely via HDMI. In fact, if the USB is connected when it shouldn't be, that might be why you're only getting those penguins up there (that's a sentence I never thought I'd type:p).

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Something is preventing your device from booting up properly. Unfortunately, your device appears to be a more obscure one; the only significant references I could find used generic identifiers such as RK3188 (which is just a reference to the chipset that is inside your device). You may be able to use the device's recovery mode to restore a proper system image to boot up. I would first try B. Diddy's advice of unplugging that USB cable (and then power-cycling the device).

Edit: the following site may be of help, as it provides firmware and firmware flashing tools for the RK3188. If you have any make and model info on your device, reference it.

http://www.rockchipfirmware.com/

Last edited:

digipaul

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. The usb is not plugged in to the tv - it's just used for power. Like an iphone type charger. Is there a way to reset it using an sd card or something? Any idea why the remote is not having any effect? What exactly is power-cycling? Cheers all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you give us a brand and model number? Did this thing come with any documentation at all, or is there any available on the web?

digipaul

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Sorry B Diddy. I couldn't find a model number or anything anywhere on the box. The box just says "mini pc & tv box". Very generic looking.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's going to be very difficult to figure this out without knowing that. When you say there's nothing on the box, you mean on the actual unit, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
By the way, it's still not clear to my why you have the USB plugged into a power source. There's a separate DC power socket, so that's where the power should be coming in, right?

digipaul

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The "friend" that I got the unit from (my dad) suggested powering it that way, for whatever reason. Another thing I should have mentioned is that my Dad lives in England, so the unit could have come from there. I have ordered a dc power chord anyway, just to try it. I appreciate all your efforts - I'll let you know if I have any joy. Cheers!

bruce73

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Just to revive this thread, in case digipaul is still monitoring it, I have a box exactly like that. It's an Exoon Power Pro and I would not recommend it to anyone. It's been the fussiest android device I've ever used. If all you see are the penquins, then the kernel isn't loading. Same thing happened to mine repeatedly. The only (possible) option I could see would be to try to get into the Recovery and do a restore, but the method given of connecting it to my PC via USB and sticking the end of a paper clip into a small hole on the unit (like you'd do to open a DVD drive) never worked. Finally, the issue cleared up by leaving it unplugged overnight. Don't ask me why. But every time it happens that seems to do the trick. Hope this helps.

John G1969

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site

That worked for me. Unplugged and plugged into charger. And here I was flashing and flashing. Well at least now I can try new toms. Thanks for the help