Google TV has a new website

chris4404

May 13, 2010
Visit site
$300 isn't really all that crazy to me. I'm on my third generation Tivo and they run about the same cost PLUS a monthly subscription, if this thing can save me the $12/month I'm on board.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
$300 isn't really all that crazy to me. I'm on my third generation Tivo and they run about the same cost PLUS a monthly subscription, if this thing can save me the $12/month I'm on board.

But it isn't a DVR replacement. It will assist an existing DVR, but not take the place of one. You will still need your Tivo. Or that is how I understand it.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Exactly Whitenack.

With Dish network (and apparently ONLY Dish) you can have google TV tell your existing Dish DVR to record.

Other than that this is just a hodge podge of internet access on your already over-commited TV screen.

I'm having trouble seeing what this is good for other than watching internet TV on your actual TV as long as its already available in Flash. Maybe great for someone who has no laptop.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything this can offer over my dedicated home theater PC?

I suppose the apps but to me that seems like a step backward.

simplygoogletv

Jul 13, 2010
simplygoogletv.com

If you don't have cable or satellite, then you'll need to hold onto your TiVo to act as the tuner in your setup. I do wish the Revue had a tuner!

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I wish Google TV had a UI as good as this website. Then it would be usable.

Just stop spamming the site you returned your box people can read your thread. Leave this open for other to discuss. I mean I don't like macs but I don go and spam all threads about it.

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything this can offer over my dedicated home theater PC?

I suppose the apps but to me that seems like a step backward.

I'm so tired of hearing this comment. What it offers over an HTPC is convenience. It gives you all you really need without the hassles of an HTPC. There's no elaborate setup, no sleeping or waking or rebooting. I actually had to keep my HTPC in a separate cabinet because it got too hot, all the way up to the point where something broke (I think the power supply) and it no longer works. No switching of inputs between watching TV and surfing the internet. No cables to run for IR remotes and wireless keyboards (the lovely Sony remote is RF so you don't have to point it at anything). No separate keyboard and mouse handy for doing configuration or surfing the net. No Media Center exit if you simply want to surf the net. And the integration with cable on the HTPC was lame, can't even watch my premium channels or high def, whereas with Google TV its seamless. Plus there's the awesome search function. And to top it all off, it's cheaper than an HTPC.

If you could see the amount of cables and crap that I pulled out of my cabinet when I bought the Google TV, you wouldn't be asking that question. I loved Media Center, but I don't miss my HTPC one bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38