1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

Default Spent a good 10 mins with the revue at best buy and...

So I went to my local best buy over the weekend and found their google tv kiosk. Picked up the keyboard for the revue first impression wow this keyboard is better than I thought it was easy to navigate menus with the directional or touch pad. After about 10 minutes of poking around its safe to say I saw everything it had to offer...in my eyes it just isn't worth 300 beans especially when I have a ps3 that just got gorgeous 1080p netflix streaming with dolbly digital. The netflix app on the revue needs some serious work if they want to call that a selling point. I think the price is turning a lot of people away from buying a revue. Needs to be at most 149.99 for me to plunck down my hard earned cash on it.

ROM
    CM7

I also visited the Google TV kiosk at my local best buy. I was certain the sony set top was the better choice, but not after actually getting hands on with the Revu. The Revu keyboard remote is very nice and trumps sony's remote. The 3rd party salesman showed me a comparrison chart between apple TV, Revu, and Sony's Google TV Box. Interestingly he said the sony box cannot add additional apps at this time (only the preloaded), but the logictech Revu can. Also I have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse that is compatable with the Revu (very nice). Theres an additionall $99 charge for wireless N reciever for the sony the Revu has it included. Another downer for the sony is you cannot stream video from a PC while you can on the revu.

What is everyone elses take?

Quote Originally Posted by zthralls View Post
    The 3rd party salesman showed me a comparrison chart between apple TV, Revu, and Sony's Google TV Box...
    The comparison seems to be very one sided. Was he a Logitech person?

The app store is not open so I am not sure how you add apps unless their is a hole somewhere- but I would think that hole would be os specific and not device specific.

The logitech box has a frame rate issue that effects video quality. The Sony has an audio issue where it will onlu output 2ch stereo via HDMI and toslink on GTV/cable. (The bluray is full DD) Both manufacturers have aknowledged the issues and fixes are pending. Which one gets fixed first will be interesting since both are huge issues.

I think the Revue has more options right now (andorid remote app, harmony support, etc) but the sony has the disk drive and possibly better audio hardware.

I have the revue but am tempted to try the sony.

I actually had the Revue on pre-order through Amazon when the Sony came out. The Blu Ray was a big plus, but what really sold me was the Sony remote. I had an HTPC and pulling out a full-size keyboard (and a mouse) every time I wanted to surf the web was a total PITA (no way I'm just leaving that sitting on my living room table all the time, either). If the smaller Logitech controller were standard rather than an option, that might have made a difference, but still there's the Blu Ray.

I've heard people complaining about the Sony remote, but if you actually own and use it (rather than the "I tried it in the store" BS) you'll find that it's very easy to learn and use, and much more convenient than a big-a$$ keyboard.

On the Sony remote, you only really use the keys up top for navigating, everything below that is regular keyboard for web input or typing in searches. The only issues I have with the remote are no back-lighting and the inability to turn off the cable box remotely. Neither is a deal-breaker.

And I know there's a Logitech phone app, but IMO that's a gimmick, not something I'm going to use consistently.

Google TV is pretty sweet, and everyone who has been over to the house (most of whom are too stupid to know all of the reasons they shouldn't like it /s) have been very impressed.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Alpha 5.1

I bought the Sony TV over the weekend, and am enjoying it thoroughly.
    I don't mind the Sony remote at all, but I am a geek, so I'm probably not the best control group.
    My wife likes the look of the TV a lot, but it remains to be seen how she gets along with that remote.
    Still, I'm quite happy with my purchase. We needed a new bedroom TV anyway, so this one came out at just the right time.
    Google TV-aside, it's a high-quality screen.