1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Default What can Google TV control?

Right now we have a uverse box, xbox 360, PS3,Apple TV, home theatre amp, etc.
    Now, I know the GTV box comes with 1 IR blaster (according to the documentation I've read). I'd LOVE to get GTV if I can get it to control everything....
    Anyone running it with U-Verse? Will it interface with GTV at least somewhat?
    Can I add more IR blasters to control other devices..is that even needed?

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Default Everything...

Actually the GTV box comes with three IR blasters built right into the front of the box. The extra blaster is just in case the user has an application where it is needed. I currently have my Comcast (DVR) box, a Samsung plasma and a 7.1 channel Onkyo home theater system hooked up to my GTV box. Took me 15 minutest total to setup and everything works absolutely flawlessly. GTV will control navigation within any cable box but the more advanced DVR features are currently only available if you have DISH (that's not to say you can't set set/delete recordings with other boxes, it's just not as deeply integrated). GTV FTW!!!

Any ideas as to whether it might be able to control a computer with built in IR Receiver for remote use?

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Depends...what are you meaning when you say remote use???

The logitech can control tv, cable box and avr period. Highly disappointing.

I was hoping the Android Harmony app would at least let me control my Blu-Ray player. At this time, it doesn't seem to.

TJH

I'm wondering why this thing does not control the PS3 out of the box. Does anyone have PS3 control with the Sony remote? i expected Sony items to play nicer. I was considering getting a Sony Sound Bar Audio System but I refuse to get another remote.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
    The logitech can control tv, cable box and avr period. Highly disappointing.
    Very disappointing. Especially for the company that makes the Harmony line. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by subyfan View Post
    Depends...what are you meaning when you say remote use???
    My HP computer came with a remote. I can control Boxee and Windows Media Center (Not that I use it). I could actually live with having this computer in my living room if the if the Sony remote could control the computer at least the same as the stock one (even better if I could control the mouse with the trackpad).

ROM
    Jelly Bean

So is the app restricted to TV, STB, and AVR also? Is there any way I can control my PS3 with this?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myalover View Post
    My HP computer came with a remote. I can control Boxee and Windows Media Center (Not that I use it). I could actually live with having this computer in my living room if the if the Sony remote could control the computer at least the same as the stock one (even better if I could control the mouse with the trackpad).
    Why would you need to control your "other" media portals when there is a built-in media streaming app??? I have 1.5 TB of movies, music and pictures on three different computers that I can access straight from the GTV box.

Default Disappointed...for now

I emailed Logitech support to voice my displeasure regarding lack of full harmony "activities" when utilizing the android app, since I am looking to replace my harmony RF remote with my recently purchased Logitech Revue. The response was "Unfortunately, the Logitech Revue currently cannot operate any other devices outside the TV, Revue, Cable Box, and the AV Receiver". I like the word "currently....sounds to me like the android app will be updated in the future to add additional harmony support.

Also, while a true additional activity cannot be setup, I plan to play around this weekend with the system's "IR learning" functionality. I really just need to be able to control my dvd player, and I think that by adding buttons to the activity, and using the dvd remote to teach the system the IR commands, I can probably figure out a workaround. But I doubt my wife will be able to figure it out, unlike our current remote where she just presses "watch dvd"'.

But the email sounded hopeful so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that either logitech or the android community figure out a way to add activities. Also, a tablet version of the remote app that makes use of a bigger screen would be awesome, as I should be receiving my Archos 101 in the next few weeks it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick9 View Post
    I emailed Logitech support to voice my displeasure regarding lack of full harmony "activities" when utilizing the android app, since I am looking to replace my harmony RF remote with my recently purchased Logitech Revue. The response was "Unfortunately, the Logitech Revue currently cannot operate any other devices outside the TV, Revue, Cable Box, and the AV Receiver". I like the word "currently....sounds to me like the android app will be updated in the future to add additional harmony support.

Also, while a true additional activity cannot be setup, I plan to play around this weekend with the system's "IR learning" functionality. I really just need to be able to control my dvd player, and I think that by adding buttons to the activity, and using the dvd remote to teach the system the IR commands, I can probably figure out a workaround. But I doubt my wife will be able to figure it out, unlike our current remote where she just presses "watch dvd"'.

But the email sounded hopeful so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that either logitech or the android community figure out a way to add activities. Also, a tablet version of the remote app that makes use of a bigger screen would be awesome, as I should be receiving my Archos 101 in the next few weeks it seems.
    I'm glad that this issue has been addressed to and confirmed from Logitech. I have been looking for some clarity about the actual ability of the Harmony functionality of the Revue. I too was looking to replace the RF remote and found from the BB associate that that was not going to happen, but was hoping to at least be able to control more than 4 devices. Especially considering that the lowest model of the Harmony remotes controls 6 for $99. I was using that as part of the reason they were charging so much for the Revue, but I feel that argument is a bit moot now that the revue only controls itself and 3 other devices. Kind of disappointing but hopefully it is something they will be able to address with further updates.

Quote Originally Posted by subyfan View Post
    Why would you need to control your "other" media portals when there is a built-in media streaming app??? I have 1.5 TB of movies, music and pictures on three different computers that I can access straight from the GTV box.
    I'm not worried about it for accessing my media files. What I am worried about is not having Boxee working (I cannot live without the wonderful interface it provides).

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

I'm not worried about it for accessing my media files. What I am worried about is not having Boxee working (I cannot live without the wonderful interface it provides).
    What do you currently use Boxee for? GTV pretty much handles most of what my Boxee setup did (back when I had one). On the positive side, I would be willing to bet you that at the beginning of the year when the Market becomes available, there WILL be a wonderfully coded app from the great people at Boxee.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

I bit the bullet and picked it up Friday. So far I'm liking it, esp. the fact I can control everything from my phone. Only hitch I can't figure out is the aspect ratio of my non HD channels. It letterboxes them. The HD stuff is full screen, but I like having the non HD stuff full screen as well.

Dunndw
    NRA/State certified handgun instructor

Thanks for getting a response from Logitech about this issue. If you do come up with an "IR learning" work-around, please post a step-by-step in this thread. The only other device I have hooked up is a Blu-Ray player and I'd love to get it to work with the Harmony app.

TJH
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ddunn View Post
    I bit the bullet and picked it up Friday. So far I'm liking it, esp. the fact I can control everything from my phone. Only hitch I can't figure out is the aspect ratio of my non HD channels. It letterboxes them. The HD stuff is full screen, but I like having the non HD stuff full screen as well.

Dunndw
    NRA/State certified handgun instructor
    ***update*** I accidently hit the power switch on the surge protector installing a larger, faster switch on the entertainment center and all of a sudden, everything is full screen now....don't get it.

I'm wondering why this thing does not control the PS3 out of the box. Does anyone have PS3 control with the Sony remote? i expected Sony items to play nicer. I was considering getting a Sony Sound Bar Audio System but I refuse to get another remote.
    As long as you are using HDMI it does. Using the input to switch to your PS3, you can move throughout the menus. The only lame thing is that you can't use the keyboard on the remote for typing. Big oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokewithstick View Post
    As long as you are using HDMI it does. Using the input to switch to your PS3, you can move throughout the menus. The only lame thing is that you can't use the keyboard on the remote for typing. Big oversight.
    Mine will still not control it. When looking in the HDMI settings interface, my TV is not recognizing my PS3 as a controllable device. Is there a certain version of HDMI cable that mist be used??

Sorry for the delay in responses, been busy with work and unable to play with my GTV lately. So I accomplished some of my goal in getting the android app to command more than the out of the box functionality, but not nearly as much as I wanted; and definitely not wife friendly.

Successes:
    Can now control the receiver to listen to tuner, select next or previous preset, switch to DVD input, toggle between dolby and other surround settings, and a few additional things.

Failures:
    Ability to actually control the blu ray player.

How I accomplished my semi-workaround:

In the android app, click on menu, settings, edit activity buttons. This screen allows you to add buttons to the "watch google tv" activity. If you long press anywhere in the screen, it will bring up a "select device" dialog box. Whatever device you choose will bring up all of the known commands for the harmony series for that device. So on this screen you can add buttons that can manually allow you more control over your devices.

For example on my screen I have 4 columns of buttons, 4 rows each, to allow me to do certain tasks. If I want to listen to the radio, I have a button to switch to the tuner on the receiver. Then I press a button I added to turn off the TV power. Lastly I have preset next and preset previous buttons in this row. (For volume etc, I can use the same volume controls built into the app to control my receiver).

I also added a button to switch to the dvd input, but I cannot add any buttons to control my blu ray player. I can still control volume, surround mode, etc, but cannot play, stop, pause, etc in the blu ray itself.

I'm guessing if you really want to take this a step further, you can manually add one of your devices to the harmony app (instead of selecting a receiver, manually add all of your controls via the IR learning function, and when done teaching the system the receiver controls, teach it the dvd controls) and then control everything.

It shouldn't be this hard though. If Logitech would only add the ability to add "activities" and devices, like you can on the full harmony line, this would be much much simpler. Also, on a side note, in the logitech survey, I re-iterated the issues I stated in my email to logitech. I also requested that they develop a tablet optimized application, that allows for more buttons on the screen, utilizing the tablet screen real estate. ( I have an archos 101 on order that I purchased to control my revue system, back when I thought the harmony app would be more robust).

From the instructions, it appears that GTV will control everything when fully implemented. Row now it appears that Dish is only set top box that it fully controls. I only have a TV and a Cisco set top box attached. It does not control the recording functions on the set top box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick9 View Post
    I also added a button to switch to the dvd input, but I cannot add any buttons to control my blu ray player. I can still control volume, surround mode, etc, but cannot play, stop, pause, etc in the blu ray itself.
    My receiver has the ability to control the DVD/Bluray over HDMI. I'm still playing with it, and haven't had much success, but it may be an avenue that's worth exploring?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk