Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 75 of 75
Like Tree15Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    People need to stop comparing Gplus to Facebook and start looking at it more as a twitter replacement. I would also think that the people who post here or similar boards would find it especially useful.
    Start by creating a tech or android circle and place blogs like Android Central, Android police, droid life, Engadget, CNET, etc then follow for like a week or 2. The comment sections on these posts are usually hopping.
    This is actually the perfect timing for this experiment with the Nexus coming out at the end of the month.
    Also I use the photo instant upload a ton because I have a small kid and it's great....
    Just one persons opinion.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    That's an interesting idea. I never use G+ but having that kind of circle ours intriguing. Although, I have all of that in my FB list already so it's a duplication.

    Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums
  3. #53  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Quote Originally Posted by vividrich View Post
    That's an interesting idea. I never use G+ but having that kind of circle ours intriguing. Although, I have all of that in my FB list already so it's a duplication.

    Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums
    Right BUT the genius of google plus is that it filters it. Instead of one long stream of all your contacts you can select which topics you want to read. So you JUST see tech or JUST sports and not family or whatever.
  4. #54  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryMasters View Post
    Cool story bro, I left Facebook over a month ago and never looked back. Google+ performs better and is more secure than the Zuckerberg establishment that logs me in by itself sans username and password on a clean install, signs me in and out of chat whenever it feels like resulting in a ton of people thinking I'm ignoring them, and changes my privacy settings without my consent on a monthly basis.

    I go with what provides the best experience. Jumped ship to G+ and my friends followed. Guess to the 50+ million people who use it, Facebook is just one more thing for us to ignore.
    I use FB for meaningless comments and to keep up with family that is spread around the US. I use Google+ daily to find out what is going on in the world, tech news and to have great conversations. The whole FB stupidness usually means that I end up only "Liking" family photos and resultant comments.
  5. #55  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    As Fleury14 pointed out, G+ is also a great replacement for Twitter. I used to live on Twitter, but I now get better info on the same things from G+
  6. #56  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    I think u should arrive to use Facebook!
  7. #57  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    I tried deleting my G+ but it disabled my YouTube account. Made all my videos private. I had to re-activate my G+ to keep my YouTube

    ~~HTC Evo Design~~
    ~*Purple Android*~
  8. #58  
    quamdar's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Holding out on G+ myself, but then again I don't have a Facebook either. I know, for being a bit of a tech nerd I'm living in the stone age... lol
  9. #59  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    910 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
    People need to stop comparing Gplus to Facebook and start looking at it more as a twitter replacement. I would also think that the people who post here or similar boards would find it especially useful.
    Start by creating a tech or android circle and place blogs like Android Central, Android police, droid life, Engadget, CNET, etc then follow for like a week or 2. The comment sections on these posts are usually hopping.
    This is actually the perfect timing for this experiment with the Nexus coming out at the end of the month.
    Also I use the photo instant upload a ton because I have a small kid and it's great....
    Just one persons opinion.
    Google+ is not comparable to Twitter. Twitter is a completely different type of service than Google+ and Facebook. Google+ is comparable to Facebook, period.

    They have pretty similar feature sets as well, outside of Huddles (Facebook on the Web does allow 1:1 Video Chat, via Skype tech, the mobile app is missing that) and Instant Upload (which they are testing currently, on Android).

    Circles in Google+ are analogous to Lists in Facebook. They perform the same purposes and you can choose which Lists to Share to on Facebook just like you can choose which Circles to Share to on Google+, or you can Share Publicly on Facebook, just like Google+.

    Facebook allows Following. It's called Subscriptions. Except, Facebook has a privacy one-up when it comes to that, because they allow you to completely hide your profile from search (and those who aren't at least Friends of Friends - which is a huge deterrent on Google+ for me) and turn Subscriptions off (on Google+ this would be equivalent to disallowing anyone from adding you to a circle, which is currently impossible so you have people you don't know showing up in your "have you in circles" and "not in any circles" lists).

    Facebook is just a more polished product at the moment. By twenty miles, even. None of the average joes are going to Google+ because it was overhyped and it simply isn't good enough. There is barely anything better there than what's on Facebook. As much as people lamented Timeline, it's better than the profile stream on Google+. It's almost as if Google isn' even serious about competing in the Social Networking market. They still don't have Write APIs released for Google+, so you cannot even Cross Post from i.e. Twitter to Google+ the way you can to Facebook.

    Look, it's simple.

    Yes, I'd like to use the service. It's integrated into my device and it's decent. But, everyone I know is on Facebook. That means, that for it to be useful, I need to be able to easily cross post TO FACEBOOK without copying and pasting everything. Don't really want to hear about sharing to Facebook by Email that's seriously a bad work-around nevermind it can lead to truncations and it doesn't tell anyone where the post is from. I can update my Windows Live Messenger status and have it pushed automatically to Facebook, yet I cannot post a Status Update, Check-In, Picture, Video, etc. on Google+ and have it posted to Facebook.

    You realize that I have to upload 200MB videos twice over a DSL connection to get it on both FB and Google+. Images from my smartphone camera are anywhere from 3-3.5MB each. If I'm mobile, that can demolish my data plan. It's simply not worth it to manage two Social Networks that are so disconnected. 1B people use Facebook. If you cannot connect to that service, then it's pretty useless to me at this point. Everyone is there.

    Would it be nice to post everything to Google+ and have it all cross-posted to Facebook automatically via a connection? Yes. That would actually makes a ton of sense and it would likely cause a lot more "average" joes to use the service. But that's not how it works now, thus I'm better off not having a Google+ profile, disabling the app, and saving some battery by not having it sync crap in the background.

    And the Google+ instant upload is buggy and volatile. It randomly uploads stuff from before you enabled the feature even when you told it not to upload existing media. If you delete something from instant upload it often will upload it again later. I've had it kill my battery doing that. It cannot be trusted, and if you sync PWA to your phone it creates a new album that will show up there every 500 photos.

    There is too much lack of polish in Google+. Making a clean web front-end doesn't mean much. User experience goes much deeper into that. Too much service overlap, redundancy, and fragmentation too. Not enough integration. They're just getting around to merging PWA and Google Drive storage. That should have been done on Drive Launch and Instant Upload should have been a Drive App feature not a Google+ feature. With 5GB shared storage they can allow Uploading full resolution images, too.

    In fact, Google should have made sure their services weren't a complete mess and in disarray before they launched Google+ IMO, so that they could have been easily integrated. You can share to Facebook and Twitter from YouTube, but not Google+. See the irony? Some of the ommissions make no sense and are inexcusable. If they seriously think they can bank on their Android devices/install base to carry this network they are out of their minds. Facebook will have a better Native Android app coming out probably with Instant Upload out of Beta and they won't even have the "We have a much better mobile app" excuse to use then.

    They don't seem to be trying. Google+ is already starting to feel like another experiment that just didn't work out for them.
  10. #60  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    I really want to but how will deleting it affect latitude? ? Aside from Gmail it is the only other product I use. . Don't wanna lose it.
  11. #61  
    kraski's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS -- US release

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Howell View Post
    I really want to but how will deleting it affect latitude? ? Aside from Gmail it is the only other product I use. . Don't wanna lose it.
    Quitting G+ shouldn't do anything to latitude. The unifying thing is your Gmail address. As long as you keep that, you should be okay.

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
  12. #62  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Quote Originally Posted by SwedishFish232 View Post
    There's no point in having a Google+ and Facebook, it has to be one or the other.
    Challenge Accepted.
  13. #63  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    910 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    That's not a challenge, it's just common sense for *most* people. Facebook has too much functionality to bother fragmenting your own user experience across other services. Google is also looser about privacy than Facebook these days and I don't appreciate how they're trying to force people to join Google+ to use other services (those people who just want a YouTube channel won't actually use Google+ BTW, they just want to post their videos and troll videos on YouTube, just saying).

    It's like having Facebook + Flickr +YouTube + Yelp + Foursquare + Google Talk + whatever when Facebook hosts Photos/Videos, has Places, has Check-In, has Messenger, etc. It's just much easier to do everything on Facebook, and trying to get people to move to Google+ as you cross post all your content between two services is not worth the energy.
  14. #64  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    I like Google+ quite a bit. I'm not very social with these things I just like multimedia sharing on it if I'd like some entertainment, so you don't need to maintain it like certain other social networks.
  15. #65  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    That's not a challenge, it's just common sense for *most* people. Facebook has too much functionality to bother fragmenting your own user experience across other services. Google is also looser about privacy than Facebook these days and I don't appreciate how they're trying to force people to join Google+ to use other services (those people who just want a YouTube channel won't actually use Google+ BTW, they just want to post their videos and troll videos on YouTube, just saying).

    It's like having Facebook + Flickr +YouTube + Yelp + Foursquare + Google Talk + whatever when Facebook hosts Photos/Videos, has Places, has Check-In, has Messenger, etc. It's just much easier to do everything on Facebook, and trying to get people to move to Google+ as you cross post all your content between two services is not worth the energy.
    It is a challenge cause you say that it's either Facebook or G+. And I have both, so I won. :P

    I have one group of friends on Facebook and one on G+. It doesn't take alot of energy. haha
  16. #66  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Thread Bump:

    I killed off G+ long ago. I dislike pretty much all "social media", G+ was horrible when I sat and looked at all the mundane and pointless gibberish (mostly 2-3 word quips) people felt compelled to post every minute of the day. Seriously people, I don't give to squirts about what kind of hamburger you are eating "right now" ...or any other mindless drivel you spout out just to see yourself talk.
  17. #67  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Ahhhhhh it's just for amusement. If everyone thought like you I guess they could say "why should we care that you deleted your g+ account"?

    IT'S TRUE,, SIZE IS EVERYTHING!
    love my evo.
  18. #68  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    LOL.

    I found ZERO amusement with the crap folks felt compelled to post every second of their day.
    zmann likes this.
  19. #69  
    msndrstood's Avatar

    Posts
    1,013 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    I have tech friends on G+ and have a lot of science, photography and travel pages in my circles. It's a nice place to visit for me. If you don't like the posts on G+ clean up your circles. Simple.

    I have family and friends on Facebook, and all the drama that comes with that. Everyone can reach me on FB, and I can rant to my hearts content, because I know I can slip away to G+ and chill out.

    Best of both worlds.

    Sent via Note II
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

    Sent via Note 2
  20. #70  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Neither option appeals to me. I really dislike all the likes of FB, G+, Twitter, Insta-whatever etc. Bored me to tears hence my reason for not utilizing any of them in my daily life. Quite refreshing not being too "attached" to the online world.
  21. #71  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Quote Originally Posted by OhAlfie View Post
    Thread Bump:

    I killed off G+ long ago. I dislike pretty much all "social media", G+ was horrible when I sat and looked at all the mundane and pointless gibberish (mostly 2-3 word quips) people felt compelled to post every minute of the day. Seriously people, I don't give to squirts about what kind of hamburger you are eating "right now" ...or any other mindless drivel you spout out just to see yourself talk.
    Like there aren't a lot of people on FB that don't do the same thing.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
  22. #72  
    msndrstood's Avatar

    Posts
    1,013 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    If you don't like social media, don't use social media.

    Problem solved.


    Sent via Note II
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

    Sent via Note 2
  23. #73  

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Quote Originally Posted by FishenFool View Post
    Like there aren't a lot of people on FB that don't do the same thing.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    Hence my reason for noting above that I dislike (don't use) FB and all it's other ilk.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    If you don't like social media, don't use social media.

    Problem solved.


    Sent via Note II
    Thankfully I don't.
  24. #74  
    James4455's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    I agree

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
  25. #75  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    910 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Finally deleted my G+ profile

    Quote Originally Posted by FishenFool View Post
    Like there aren't a lot of people on FB that don't do the same thing.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    Don't friend them, or if you must friend them then set it up so that their posts are not appearing in your News Feed. This is all pretty easy. Google+ is no different, except for the fact that you actually have a bit less control over what shows up in your Stream and how it shows up. I'm still utterly baffled at how Google Chooses what to show to me in my Stream. I had one post form days ago, followed by one from Minutes ago, followed by one from Hours ago. There is no Toggle to go between "Most Recent" and "Top Stories" on Facebook. At least, not one that I seen...

    This is very troublesome in the Mobile App, which is not multi-column (unless you're using a Tablet).

    The YouTube requiring Google+ issue is becoming a non-factor as a lot of Video Blogs that I follow are switching to Vimeo :-)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

B