It appears that Google just learned the same lesson Apple did

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
No matter what they or the phone manufacturer does, in this case Samsung, the carrier is in control.

Samsung and Google tried to speed up the introduction of the Galaxy Nexus by their gala unveiling weeks ago. Verizon wasn't ready. The phone doesn't ship until Verizon is ready. Period. End of story.

Apple learned this the hard way with AT&T and the iPhone. The carriers still rule the roost.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Apple and Google are just buying time until they have their own networks. Eventually Google will have their own data network running google voice. Apple will roughly do the same.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
No matter what they or the phone manufacturer does, in this case Samsung, the carrier is in control.

Samsung and Google tried to speed up the introduction of the Galaxy Nexus by their gala unveiling weeks ago. Verizon wasn't ready. The phone doesn't ship until Verizon is ready. Period. End of story.

Apple learned this the hard way with AT&T and the iPhone. The carriers still rule the roost.

How did at&t rule the roost with the iphone? Pretty sure apple told them how it was going to be and is still the case hence the no carrier branding, no carrier preinstalled apps and a concrete release when apple announces it.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
How did at&t rule the roost with the iphone? Pretty sure apple told them how it was going to be and is still the case hence the no carrier branding, no carrier preinstalled apps and a concrete release when apple announces it.

There were a lot of features on the international version of the iphone that were left off the at&t version, especially through the 3gs.

protonchain

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I think there's more to this than meets the eye. I'm sure there were scuffles and arguments and discussions between the two companies to meet at a middle ground.

Apple wants it with X, AT&T wants it with X and Y. Apple doesn't like it and makes arguments, AT&T refuses, apple goes halfway, AT&T goes halfway, BOOM iphone release.

I feel like it was the same with Googrizon. They must have had arguments about pre-installed apps, release dates and whatnot and Verizon was like LOL DROIDS 4 LYFE and google was like okay.jpg.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Or Maybe Verizon learned a lesson after the HTC thunderbolt. No matter how pissed ppl get, don't release a buggy phone. Wait till it's ready.

then why did they release the bionic with a ton of bugs? The nexus does not have bugs plenty of testers have said that. The delay was not due to bug...

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
then why did they release the bionic with a ton of bugs? The nexus does not have bugs plenty of testers have said that. The delay was not due to bug...

well, that's why i put MAYBE in my post to cover my bases. And ive heard about bugs. BMX said VZ apps weren't playing nice with ICs, the volume bug is also noted.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I think there's more to this than meets the eye. I'm sure there were scuffles and arguments and discussions between the two companies to meet at a middle ground.

Apple wants it with X, AT&T wants it with X and Y. Apple doesn't like it and makes arguments, AT&T refuses, apple goes halfway, AT&T goes halfway, BOOM iphone release.

I feel like it was the same with Googrizon. They must have had arguments about pre-installed apps, release dates and whatnot and Verizon was like LOL DROIDS 4 LYFE and google was like okay.jpg.

AT&T originally told Apple to make the YouTube app WiFi only. So yes, the carriers rule the roost.

Reactions: CORYK333

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
AT&T originally told Apple to make the YouTube app WiFi only. So yes, the carriers rule the roost.

Are you talking about the 1.0 iPhone? That wasn't even a 3G device so a WiFi only YouTube was probably just as much for customer expierence then anything else. I could be wrong though.

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Or Maybe Verizon learned a lesson after the HTC thunderbolt. No matter how pissed ppl get, don't release a buggy phone. Wait till it's ready.

I'm going with this. People are making this personal. Verizon isn't simply trying to screw us its about the all mighty dollar. Customer service on a buggy phone is expensive, its a whole lot cheaper to piss off a forum of nerds because of a long release. put out a bad product and you will lose customers, make them wait for a product and they'll simply make false threats. How many of you guys have left Verizon because you had to wait a month longer than expected?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ezduzit

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

So Verizon having spotty issues w/ the GN, in regards to authenticating user account info. after logging into the My Verizon app. I'm not sure what you consider that but it fits into my definition of a bug issue.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I doubt Apple rolls over for Verizon. When Apple has an announcement release date and price are included....none of this dickin around.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. The ICS 4.1 update fixing that LTE radio issue was big. Releasing the phone would have been just idiotic regardless of what all the whiners think. Of course if VZW would have released it with known issues the same people would have been whining that VZW shouldn't have released it. No way to please some of these kids.

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm definitely no expert and I never usually follow phones or their releases. But it seems to me the simple solution here is avoiding carrier-exclusive releases.

Release to all carriers simultaneously and sheer competition will push the phones out the door asap.

There are a lot of theories flying around as to why Verizon is delaying the GN: bugfixes, allowing the RAZR and Rezound their time in the sun, etc. But the fact remains that a period of exclusivity doesn't just give the carrier time to gain 100% of the sales on that the phone; it actually gives them a window of complete flexibility as to their product launches and promotions by removing all worry about the competition. They can write off that phone almost as long as they like into the exclusive period and focus on other products instead. Basically using the exclusivity as a competitive c-ckblock, not a sales tool.

Reactions: jephanie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArchyA