Apple's injunction on the Nexus; UN hosting mobile patent talks.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
While some states elect judges, federal judges are appointed by the president for life.

Sent from my Jelly Bean-equipped device

And that's the problem. Every gov position should have term limits. Too many do what's best for them not us. And a judge that's 85 years old can't understand today's tech and how apples is not worlds developer like apple claims. They stole just as much as any other tech company. I look at it as the mustang, corvette/camaro, viper/charger wars. The ZR1 was first, now there are 750hp Shelby's. In any line of business there is always competition, just Apple refusing to try and wants everything banned. If spent as much time improving iOS as they do in the courts they would be a contender. But now they just look sad and pathetic

Sent from my Jellybeaned Gnex

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Disagree... Microsoft debuted the original surface tablet back in 2003, some 7-8 years before the ipad...
Click to view quoted image

Apple didn't invent tablets or the design. They just finally made one that was all shiny and iOS-y and that people sheep wanted. They certainly have NO actual claim to the basic shape and design of tablet computers.

They don't have claim to anything. They have never invented anything. They take ideas and market the hell out of them. The only thing I'll every give to apple is their marketing team. They know how to sell anything. They make products insanely simple which is not a good thing. Apple makes people pay $99 to preview the new iOS. On android JB was announced and less than a day later its available for anyone on a nexus for free. At least the nexus 7 is made in america and Google is selling it at cost, something apple would never do, Support American jobs. Yes their corp team is in america but the bulk of jobs apple creates are in china. Plus Apple makes it impossible to
Get content outside of the app store. At least Google let's you get content where ever you want.

Reactions: jdcnosse

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Apple lands preliminary ban against Samsung Galaxy Nexus."

I wonder what's to stop OEMs from shipping the hardware without the infringing features and then making a patch freely available online or as an OTA after first activation to add it back after a consumer has bought it? It might be an extra step but at least they'll be able to still ship them as long as they're not touting them as front and center features (which most of these aren't).

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what's to stop OEMs from shipping the hardware without the infringing features and then making a patch freely available online or as an OTA after first activation to add it back after a consumer has bought it? It might be an extra step but at least they'll be able to still ship them as long as they're not touting them as front and center features (which most of these aren't).

If it's been ruled a valid patent and it was found to be infringed upon in the first place it would still get them in trouble.

Even if it was a patch or ota they would still be distributing software or features they are not authorized to distribute.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site

Actually that would possibly work. Just like a computer. You can buy a computer without an operating system. Then you download whatever OS you want for it.

Okay so here's is another scenario. Apple successfully blocks HTC, Samsung, Moto, and others from producing smart phones. iPhone becomes only smartphone available and become 99% market share. Apple can set whatever prices they want on smart phone devices and carriers can not do a thing about it. Or Apple can simply decide not to sell to particular carriers in effect being able to force them out of business. With their aggressive use of legal actions can any type of Anti trust or other action be used?

Understand the above is extreamly unlikely. Microsoft probably has enough patents to tell Apple to just stop producing electronics. And Window Phone is actually fairly good like I've stated in other posts. Just curious about what standards are in place to prevent monopolies such as this.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

If it's been ruled a valid patent and it was found to be infringed upon in the first place it would still get them in trouble.

Even if it was a patch or ota they would still be distributing software or features they are not authorized to distribute.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Well then have someone else distribute it. O:)

But I suppose that's true. Selling just the hardware with no software preloaded (entirely) seems like it would be possible but just not practical from a consumer standpoint. Then again that's what Apple would want, deteriorate the Android experience to seem less attractive. Perhaps the brilliant minds at Google will be able to find workarounds of these patent that won't infringe (should they be valid). But then again, I'm sure that wouldn't stop Apple from bringing on the lawsuits regardless.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually that would possibly work. Just like a computer. You can buy a computer without an operating system. Then you download whatever OS you want for it.

But if for example you use windows you are supposed to pay for a licensed copy, true you can download a pirated copy but it's illegal. If you got caught distributing pirated software you would be in trouble.

If Samsung did an OTA with software and features they have not paid licensing fee's to and those features are lawfully patented by another company they would get their butt in a ringer.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

The issue isn't about the patents or any of that corporation BS that Apple is hiding behind. The truth of the matter is they are scared of what is to come. They are banning the Galaxy Nexus and trying to ban other competing devices (specifically the GS3) in order to avoid competition in the market. Why would Apple do this? Money. It is cheaper and easier in this country to sue someone instead of actually come up with something new to distinguish yourself even more from the market.

I asked a bunch of people at work today the basic question: What has the iPhone come out with that has been revolutionary or so inventive that you said "wow that's pretty awesome" besides the initial iPhone release. They didn't have an answer, and these were normal not tech savvy people. It really leads me to believe that in this day and age, we as people and business alike would much rather sue someone versus try to reestablish your brand as the superior brand with the better product.

I agree that Google needs to get behind these OS, but I am not shocked they haven't yet. I have a feeling now they will since they are attacking the Nexus device and they need to take the gloves off.

If Apple keeps trying to ban every competing phone (and win most of them) they would be considered a monopoly by the concept of being able to control the market and the pricing of the market. Makes sense, if they are the only viable option in the market since all the other "competing" phones are banned, they would have complete control to set prices on their phone to whatever they want and it would literally dictate what others would have to charge.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
They don't have claim to anything. They have never invented anything. They take ideas and market the hell out of them. The only thing I'll every give to apple is their marketing team. They know how to sell anything. They make products insanely simple which is not a good thing. Apple makes people pay $99 to preview the new iOS. On android JB was announced and less than a day later its available for anyone on a nexus for free. At least the nexus 7 is made in america and Google is selling it at cost, something apple would never do, Support American jobs. Yes their corp team is in america but the bulk of jobs apple creates are in china. Plus Apple makes it impossible to
Get content outside of the app store. At least Google let's you get content where ever you want.

And you think every idea of androids or googles was original? Don't think so.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
here is a comment from Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet, ?It?s no coincidence that Samsung?s latest products looks a lot like the iPhone and iPad

Click to view quoted image

Am I missing something on the look alike part??? Seriously, anyone who can't tell those apart needs to stick to a rotary dial land line phone instead of a smart phone anyway.

I think the look a like thing was about the SGS2. Not the nexus.

My galaxy s3 looks better thank iPhone, lol. That's why I switched.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
And you think every idea of androids or googles was original? Don't think so.

No. No tech company has every had 100% original ideas. Apple just wants to ban every product that doesn't have a apple logo on it. Except Microsoft. Their in bed now since they both know Google will stomp them in the mobile space.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
No. No tech company has every had 100% original ideas. Apple just wants to ban every product that doesn't have a apple logo on it. Except Microsoft. Their in bed now since they both know Google will stomp them j. the move space.

Shows the evidence for you conclusion.

They are protecting their patents, no matter how silly. Every company has the right to do that. Pay the license fee or don't put that feature in.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I think the look a like thing was about the SGS2. Not the nexus.

My galaxy s3 looks better thank iPhone, lol. That's why I switched.

Actually that was the same canned statement they gave about the Galaxy Tab 10.1...which is silly anyways since this case isn't about look and feel but functionality.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Shows what evidence. If HP would file patent suits apple would be banned by the end of the week. Google Microsoft apple all steal.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

The Judge plainly doesn't understand the technology and needs to be replaced.

Google had voice actions WAY before SIRI.

Google better get it's ass in gear and protect Android or they are in for a world of hurt.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I asked a bunch of people at work today the basic question: What has the iPhone come out with that has been revolutionary or so inventive that you said "wow that's pretty awesome" besides the initial iPhone release. They didn't have an answer, and these were normal not tech savvy people. It really leads me to believe that in this day and age, we as people and business alike would much rather sue someone versus try to reestablish your brand as the superior brand with the better product.

Huh? The fact that normal people can't think of revolutionary developments brought forth recently by the iPhone means that people and businesses would rather sue each other than develop better products? I'm sorry, but there seems to be quite a leap in logic here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Ry and zkSharks

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Google better get it's ass in gear and protect Android or they are in for a world of hurt.

And other phones had other features before android. Everything derives inspiration from someone else. It's how we progress.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

And General Motors had On Star way before both of them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambs033