Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 billion

Would you still buy a Moto X post Motorola/Lenovo Deal?

• Total voters

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Re: The Sale is Official.... Now What?

I just hope Motorola stays on same path it is. I'm a big Moto fan right now.

Sent from my Moto X

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

An agreement was made to attempt the transaction.

Posted via Android Central App

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Ouch, this is horrible if Lenovo continues their vision and attempts to change what Moto has done. Granted nothing is final yet but ouch... :(

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google to sell Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for around $3 billion.

I think my previous prediction that there will be no Motorola Nexus have much more ground now, still never say never, but I think it's much less likely now. Google idea was to work with third party companies I think and not try to take over and compete in hardware (by making a Motorola Nexus), that would be bad for their business plan imo and its more of an Apple idea.

But still I'm a bit bummed, I was liking the idea of Motorola coming out with affordable phone, with good Android experience and fast software support. And I love the idea of the Moto X being made in US. Leveno is a great company, but I'm skeptical to see them keeping up with the expectation. I am a big fan of Lenovo laptops, but I even see their build quality waning over the years.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I think my previous prediction that there will be no Motorola Nexus have much more ground now, still never say never, but I think it's much less likely now.
It's more likely now since Motorola will be independent from Google.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Ouch, this is horrible if Lenovo continues their vision and attempts to change what Moto has done. Granted nothing is final yet but ouch... :(

If.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I think my previous prediction that there will be no Motorola Nexus have much more ground now, still never say never, but I think it's much less likely now. Google idea was to work with third party companies I think and not try to take over and compete in hardware (by making a Motorola Nexus), that would be bad for their business plan imo and its more of an Apple idea.

But still I'm a bit bummed, I was liking the idea of Motorola coming out with affordable phone, with good Android experience and fast software support. And I love the idea of the Moto X being made in US. Leveno is a great company, but I'm skeptical to see them keeping up with the expectation. I am a big fan of Lenovo laptops, but I even see their build quality waning over the years.

How so? Google can't play favorites with Motorola if Motorola is a Lenovo company.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Say Goodbye to Moto X sales!

Though, there ought to be a reason why Google chose to sell Moto to Lenovo in the first place.

Also, strong words from Lenovo's CEO, but I won't believe it until I see it
Correction Lenovo continues to ruin the Thinkpad. Their latest travesty being the change to the trackpad and trackpoint.

Didn't use a ThinkPad, so I don't know what to say about that. But, I have to agree that the trackpad on Lenovo laptops are pretty bad. Thus, why I use a mouse on my IdeaPad Y410P.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Didn't use a ThinkPad, so I don't know what to say about that. But, I have to agree that the trackpad on Lenovo laptops are pretty bad. Thus, why I use a mouse on my IdeaPad Y410P.

I adore my Asus gaming laptop, but its trackpad gives me homicidal thoughts. The trackpads on most Windows machines are bad. I have yet to find one that works as well as those on a Mac.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I adore my Asus gaming laptop, but its trackpad gives me homicidal thoughts. The trackpads on most Windows machines are bad. I have yet to find one that works as well as those on a Mac.

This has been my experience as well.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I do understand why many people are upset about this. A part of me is as well, as I've always thought of Motorola as a US company, and now... well, it only sort of will be. I'm trying to reserve judgement however until we get more details. I honestly don't think Lenovo would change much about how Moto operates, at least at first. They bought them for the very reasons everyone is upset, why would they change any of that? The future may hold something different, but that's to be seen.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I do understand why many people are upset about this. A part of me is as well, as I've always thought of Motorola as a US company, and now... well, it only sort of will be. I'm trying to reserve judgement however until we get more details. I honestly don't think Lenovo would change much about how Moto operates, at least at first. They bought them for the very reasons everyone is upset, why would they change any of that? The future may hold something different, but that's to be seen.

Yup. None of us here can say with certainty which scenario is going to play out.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I love ASUS machines.

And since I'm a gamer, I don't really care about trackpads. :p

Though the trackpad on my 5+ year old MacBook Pro is starting to annoy the heck out of me.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lenovo Support

Other than taking a dying computer company and making it the only one to actually increase sales the last couple of years what bad things had Lenovo done? I don't even think they would have changed the name on the computers if they didn't have to, so I'm not quite sure what people are so worried about at this point. If Moto is finally starting to show signs of life again which seems to be the case, a company like Lenovo is not very likely to make drastic changes that will affect that recovery. They just don't have that kind of history. It's doubtful that they would even change the manufacturing location if they think keeping it here would benefit sales which is a pretty big selling point for the X. If they do change and you don't like it, well the great thing about Android is the shear number of people using it. The current Moto X is a pretty fantastic phone and it isn't going to stop working just because Google no longer owns the company. If. Lenovo does screw things up, it's a sure thing some other company will fill the void down the road.

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

What does this mean for those of us who've purchased the Moto Care extended 2 year warranty? Should I try and get a prorated refund at this point or will it continue to be honored? I've only had the Moto X for about a month.:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zalauf