Galaxy S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

Time to be open minded people- This phone is slow to open at times for a cutting edge device. I call that lag, but you can call it whatever you want.

Don't get me wrong, its fast for almost everything and I still love it, but something as simple as turning on the screen should be lightning fast for a 5 day old high end device.

Posted via Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

No lag whatsoever! This is actually pretty amazing coming from an S4 which lagged so much

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Well whoever says this phone doesn't have any lag apparently has never used stock android, or an aosp ROM like cm11. This is one sluggish dang phone if I've ever seen it. Just little things like unlocking it, or pulling up dialer, or the time it takes for a webpage to actually be scrollable, compared to the lg g2 with cm11 this thing is a turd lol. Still like the phone but it definitely needs some optimization

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i have use CM and other asop roms, and used a friends nexus. The S5 if pretty much just as fast and smooth.

Nick Brennan

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

Mine is laggy. Pressing the home button takes a second to get back to the home screen. Camera app takes 2 seconds to open. General lag all around. I want to keep the phone. Hoping that the lag gets patched out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jesse_h

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Mine has lag, but not always, and it frustrates me. I'm new to android so i don't really know what I'm doing, maybe i too many apps open in the background or something. It gets frustrating when i take a pic and click the thumbnail in the corner to look at it, and it takes longer then expected to open.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Lollll seems like the justification from Samsung fans is "heavy animation, not lag" that's hilarious, it looks like a great phone just enjoy it who cares if the dialer takes one millionth of a millisecond longer to open.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
There have been several references to this phone lagging. First of all I don?t recall any lag at all when I played with it in the Vz store. But if there are occasional lags are they due to the Touch Wiz OS? And if this is presumed to be the cause shouldn't switching to a 3rd party launcher like Nova rectify the problem (if there even is one)?

For those of you who have the phone what's your experience with the phone's smoothness? I'm coming from an HTC DNA which is smooth as butter. The DNA's camera is crap and the screen doesn't come close to the S5.

The couple times I played with the s5 I did not experience any lag, and this was in store which those models have a lot of added garbage that could even be more likely to make it lag. I know people just have a predisposition that because of touchwiz and the s4, that it will lag. It seems they finally got rid of that lag with the new touchwiz (or maybe just the real high end hardware)

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Played with a S5 at the store a couple of days ago and that thing was lagging like crazy! It even froze up on me while in the S Health app. That was all in 10 mins.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Played with a S5 at the store a couple of days ago and that thing was lagging like crazy! It even froze up on me while in the S Health app. That was all in 10 mins.

It may of been bogged down from users installing things and changing settings that would result in your experience. Not a good representation of what the device can actually do.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Mine has lag, but not always, and it frustrates me. I'm new to android so i don't really know what I'm doing, maybe i too many apps open in the background or something. It gets frustrating when i take a pic and click the thumbnail in the corner to look at it, and it takes longer then expected to open.

What you are experiencing most likely isn't due to excessive apps open. Android self manages RAM, and will kill apps on an appropriate basis to free up enough RAM to launch your app that you opened.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

It lags/stutters. I sent my alarm the other day, and it was literally 2 minutes before the toast notification came up telling me how many hours/minutes until the alarm goes off. I got three notifications actually because I set the alarm three times because I didn't know if it was really set or not.

It's a shame that in 2014 we are still talking about lag. Samsung has had plenty of time (and devices) to figure this out. It's not Android, we see how the Nexus flies. I'm a developer and if I handed over an app that lags and stutters to one of my clients I'd lose that client in a heartbeat.

But the lag has become part of Samsung, and I think we all just accept it and expect it. I think more RAM, like in my Note 3, would greatly help.

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The one I used at the Verizon store lagged a lot

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Probably because it was loaded with demos and apps others downloaded on it.

I don't notice any lag on mine, then again I don't keep tons of apps open. I tend to clear my apps frequently.

jhguth

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Most people generally load apps into phones after they buy them too. I made sure nothing was running and power cycled, it was still the same.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

It could have been because it was a demo unit and had additional stuff loaded on it
Before I got my phone, I went to Best Buy and they had two demo units...one was blazing fast and the other was really laggy for some reason
My phone is blazing fast no lag so far, and I am really glad its like that

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The only lag I've noticed is in 2 different apps that are used for chatting and it's the samsung keyboard that slows down. Probably change to the swype and see if things change

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunn35