[GUIDE] Using chkdsk to fix a corrupted SD card

loana hoffman

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok I have followed all of your steps three times now and I stil get "cannot open volume for direct access" is there any way to get the info on the SD card?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi.. Thnks for this info. Also wanted to know if the card is not readable in the drives then how to recover the data

I mentioned above that Recuva is a pretty good option if CHKDSK doesn't work. Unfortunately there are times when the data is too far gone and can not be recovered.
Link for Recuva: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ttps://www.piriform.com/recuva&token=jHY9mmF7

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Me too, I've followed all your steps and still it says "can not open volume for direct access" :-(

Did you make sure to turn off the lock on the SD card?

Last edited by a moderator:

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Does this by chance fix a card that is stuck in R/O instead of R/W?
I've tried several similar methods that haven't worked to the point that I don't care if there is a way to fix it that causes the card to be wiped clean. I have a class 4 32GB sandisk microSD card.
I can view files and open/play media, but i cannot delete, or transfer/save new files to the card.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Does this by chance fix a card that is stuck in R/O instead of R/W?
I've tried several similar methods that haven't worked to the point that I don't care if there is a way to fix it that causes the card to be wiped clean. I have a class 4 32GB sandisk microSD card.
I can view files and open/play media, but i cannot delete, or transfer/save new files to the card.

No. This specific method only checks for bad sectors and fixes them. I'm guessing you've tried formatting the card already.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No. This specific method only checks for bad sectors and fixes them. I'm guessing you've tried formatting the card already.

Yea unfortunately I've tried formatting as a last ditch effort when other methods weren't showing any progress.
Is there a way to rebuild the file system on the card?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yea unfortunately I've tried formatting as a last ditch effort when other methods weren't showing any progress.
Is there a way to rebuild the file system on the card?
It's possible that there is a way, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how. You could try looking, but I'd personally get a new card.

Mj Arriola

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My computer doesn't flashes or show any "Removable disk" on it. How can i fix my sd card if it doesn't show up there when i already connected my card reader with my memory card in it. By the way, I'm using a usb with a slot for an sd card. Help please :'(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My computer doesn't flashes or show any "Removable disk" on it. How can i fix my sd card if it doesn't show up there when i already connected my card reader with my memory card in it. By the way, I'm using a usb with a slot for an sd card. Help please :'(

Does your computer have an SD slot that you can directly insert the card into?
And if you put the card into a phone, does it get read there?

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Does your computer have an SD slot that you can directly insert the card into?
And if you put the card into a phone, does it get read there?

Yes, and yes. It mounts as read only though, on both windows 7 and android.

spideog1

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I was wondering roughly how long the chkdsk would take on a 16gb sdhc card. I started a scan and 3 hours later there has been no progress. All that is on the screen is the line of code I typed in. I was wondering if this was normal as this is the last option I have as no recovery program's have worked on the card, either get nothing back or my computer freezes and has to be restarted.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah, OK. I didn't notice that you had replied earlier, but I did answer your last post.

Well in that case, yea i have data on the card, and i can copy from the card, just not to the card, nor delete from the card.
It reads, it just doesn't write.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Authority_Institute