Battery drain overnight

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeh, just turn off all the cool features on your phone and it will only drain 1%, sheesh...

dreaming of electric sheep

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'll do ya one better chezm... I go into Ultra Power Mode overnight. Keeps me full until morning when I switch back to regular mode. I have absolutely no use for the "features" while asleep so it's not a big deal. Ever since the "overheat" screen rotation issue I've been leary to leave it plugged in overnight. 😊

Posted via the Android Central App

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Folks,

OK, I just got up, and my S6 lost about one percent of its battery per hour overnight, which is typical for "overnight battery drain" for me. Very notably, I did not have "Google App" showing on the list, nor "Google Play Services." My biggest power user was my e-mail program, AquaMail, and I'm sure that has everything to do with how I have it set to check for mail every five minutes -- as often as its settings allow. Everything else was at 1% -- Cell standby, Google Services, Android System, and Android OS. Nothing else showed up on my list.

For the OP, I would wonder about Google Play -- is there some setting that is making that active all the time, and might that be the reason why "Google App" is active? I would sure recommend checking on that.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeh, just turn off all the cool features on your phone and it will only drain 1%, sheesh...

dreaming of electric sheep

LOL, you use all those cool features when you're sleeping eh? If you're used to getting emails for Work like me, if you're disabling the audio or setting to do not disturb...i just dont see the need for the phone to be constantly syncing overnight. With Airplane mode, i can turn it off as soon as i wake up and everything begins to sync...within seconds.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I'll do ya one better chezm... I go into Ultra Power Mode overnight. Keeps me full until morning when I switch back to regular mode. I have absolutely no use for the "features" while asleep so it's not a big deal. Ever since the "overheat" screen rotation issue I've been leary to leave it plugged in overnight. ??????

Posted via the Android Central App

Good point, and with Ultra powersaving you still have your call availability there if required...thanks for the tip. I really just need the phone on and near me as its my alarm clock.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
for what it's worth to whomever ...

I charge my phone on a wireless pad overnight, and always wake up to it at 100%. BUT ... there have been times where I've fallen asleep watching TV in the den, and my phone is on the side table next to my recliner ... All I can say is, even w/out changing any settings to put the phone to sleep, it typically only loses a few % points at best overnight, just sitting there. It's still syncing my work exchange email, gmail accounts (plural), contacts, etc. Location stuff stays on all the time ... bluetooth is always on with my phone ... wifi is always on at home ... so on and so forth. I even have the "HD Calling" feature on all the time (I think that's the same as the VoLTE thing) ...

Point is, not rubbing anything in the OP's face, or anyone else who is having overnight battery drain issues ... but these phones should NOT be losing more than maybe 5% overnight with everything still on and ready to go as if it's the middle of the day.

Moreover, I have my GS4 that I used to use, and it was the same way. Even now, with no sim in it, but wifi turned on, and it's still syncing everything over wifi all the time (just like when it was my daily driver) ... it still only lost about 5% or less overnight.

I wish I had an answer for anyone with this problem, but all i can guess is that it's either a hardware malfunction (defective phone), or something specific to your carrier and the way they have the software setup for your phone.

FYI, I'm on AT&T ... that applies to my current S6, and for my S4 that I recently "retired" when getting my S6 ...

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Might consider using something like Tasker or Llama to turn off services at a particular time each day or when you are in a certain location. Personally I use Smart WiFi Toggler to automatically turn on/off my WiFi when I leave home and work. I found Smart WiFi more reliable than Llama but Llama has a very high app rating in the Play Store and is simpler to use than Tasker.

Chan Weng Kin

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I've being using my phone since 8th May and an update one or 2 days later & the battery drain issue started. I wonder is there anything to do with the update.
I've my phone fully charged before I go to bed. I notice GPSD is only active during the night until the next day. I've my phone charged again before lunch time and it doesn't appear anymore and the same thing repeat at night.
I switched off GPS & restarted my phone during the full charged & it works (for 1 or 2 days which is 3% overnight before acting up again).
Disabling account sync doesn't seems to be helping.
I have no idea what is actually triggering GPSD, though, my Apps aren't those that required GPS all the time except Facebook.
I just had a wipe cache partition today & will have my phone charged before I go to bed. Hope it helps.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
To throw another $0.02 in ...

Aside from having fun with my phone, I count on it to help me manage my days/weeks/life. Last thing I wanna do is have to manage my phone along with everything else I have to manage. My phone is supposed to be a device that helps me ... not another thing I have to worry about.

I guess I'm used to monitoring battery life on my devices, and luckily I get decent life or better from all of them. I always have. But as far as remembering which settings I have turned on, off, paused, etc. ... and having to remember to change them for whatever I'm doing ... no thanks. Not gonna happen with me.

I run my phone settings "wide open" all the time, relative to how I use my phone. Yes, I have disabled bloat programs/apps, and adjusted all possible settings to turn off things I don't need ... but if it's a piece of software I use, or something that I want synced (email, contacts, calendar, etc) ... or something I would prefer receive notifications from (facebook, this forum, other forums, etc.) ... then I leave that stuff set to sync continuously, use push notifications, etc. Google Now is on all the time, as are location settings for all apps I want them for, etc. Wifi is pretty much always on unless there is local wifi but it's a horrible signal, then I switch it off to make sure I stay on cellular and keep a good signal. I use bluetooth to sync to my truck and other devices, so I leave that on 24/7 as well. Oh, I also have auto-brightness set ON ... all the time.

Point is, all that stuff is on ... a LOT of stuff that I feel SHOULD be one, and there should be no reason for me to have to turn those things on/off.

With all that stuff as "set it and forget it", the ONLY thing I have to watch out for is battery life on really hard-use days. And when I know I'll be away from a charger for a while, I try to make sure I don't "play" on my phone too much and abuse the power and run the battery down unnecessarily. On those days I'll also turn on power saving mode (not extreme power saving) ... and MIGHT turn off location if I'm moving around a lot, just to keep it from going haywire on me. But, let me be clear, those are kinda rare days for me. 95% of the time everything is running wide open as described above.

With all that, on a normal day for me at work, I can leave my phone off the charger, and still get about 5+ hours of SOT. I do get a higher-than-what-I'd-expect "cell standby" drain, but it's not horrible ... and I AM expecting this to get better as more updates to the OS come out. I don't expect it to go away, but it SHOULD get better.

I love my phone ... I really do, despite the fact I wish the battery were larger ... and despite the fact that Samsung has ripped out some key things I really wish were still in there (stock email app has lost features, one-touch dial/message widgets are gone, lack of customization of notification/message vibration patterns and tones for contact groups, contact individuals, etc.) But this phone is a great phone when it's working properly.

I don't know how much of it is hit-and-miss with the hardware ... or carrier specific software issues ... or third-party software installed on some people's phones ... or just a specific app I might not use that someone else is using ... or maybe even some certain combination of settings that would seemingly not be related are causing the phone to go haywire with battery drain. I just don't know. But what I do know is this phone is great for ME ... and I'm glad I made the switch.

Enahmir

May 9, 2015
Visit site
You talking about stuff like this?:

3100mAh Portable Battery Pack, Black

That's Samsungs external battery pack ... they make them in 3100mAh, 6000mAh, and 9500mAh versions ... portable power packs to recharge your phone.
More like these...yah...since the s6 has no batterychange option it looks handy when I take a trip...
ef811583fe98a3ff4b2a0869c561ba95.jpg
2b6a1b6b6a5e4468a5667e049142a938.jpg

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Essentially, we are talking about the same thing ... it all just comes down to how much power the unit you're looking at has, and how much quality went into building it. I have been considering getting one of the 6000mAh packs for both me and my wife, as a "just in case" thing ... either that, or Mophie cases if we are going on any all-day excursions where we will need to be using our phones for stuff all day and not have the option to charge them up.

My everyday life doesn't keep me from getting in a good 30mins to an hour charge on my quick charger, so I don't care so much that I may have to juice-up my phone once a day if I've been using it a lot. But when I do end up away from power for all day, one of these packs or battery-equipped cases is pretty much your only option if you are going to need to be using your phone while you're out and about.

EDIT: There is another option. If you look at the samsung website, they make a "power sharing" cord ... I may just get one of those to play with it, since i have about 5 batteries from me and my wife's S4's ... I can keep those charged up and use the power sharing cord to transfer power from the battery pack to the phone (same concept as the power pack I linked above) ... but since I already have the spare batteries and charging cases, I could save money by getting that instead.

Enahmir

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Essentially, we are talking about the same thing ... it all just comes down to how much power the unit you're looking at has, and how much quality went into building it. I have been considering getting one of the 6000mAh packs for both me and my wife, as a "just in case" thing ... either that, or Mophie cases if we are going on any all-day excursions where we will need to be using our phones for stuff all day and not have the option to charge them up.

My everyday life doesn't keep me from getting in a good 30mins to an hour charge on my quick charger, so I don't care so much that I may have to juice-up my phone once a day if I've been using it a lot. But when I do end up away from power for all day, one of these packs or battery-equipped cases is pretty much your only option if you are going to need to be using your phone while you're out and about.

EDIT: There is another option. If you look at the samsung website, they make a "power sharing" cord ... I may just get one of those to play with it, since i have about 5 batteries from me and my wife's S4's ... I can keep those charged up and use the power sharing cord to transfer power from the battery pack to the phone (same concept as the power pack I linked above) ... but since I already have the spare batteries and charging cases, I could save money by getting that instead.
Yes as a just in case thing...short daily flighttrips and such...samsungs is more beautiful and better and more power but hey...it's big and not pink (kiddin'). But I am a woman and I like it for my husband but I prefer a smaller one :) only less power in them so I'll keep looking and otherwise I go for the beautifull but big samsung...:)
Tnx for thinking with me. I am Dutch so forgive me for not writing perfectly English.

Captain Loogie

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I find them expensive though...

$60 is way overpriced, in fact or 3100mAh it's a complete rip off. You can get a lot cheaper from 3rd party manufacturers. There's a host of portable power packs for around $20 / £15 / €15, obviously more or less depending on what size you want. I got an Aukey 10000mAh quick charge for £20 which has been working every bit as good as a quick charge wall charger, gives me 3 full charges.

Can't post links but highly rated Anker 5200mAh for £10 or an Aukey 20000mAH dual output for £20. Loads more depending on what you're looking for.

Back to the OP, I'm losing about 1% overnight. Generally turn off location and sync, got my notifications for most apps dialled back, but that's just to stop me getting bombarded with too many notifications rather than any battery saving reasons.

There are a ton of battery saving tips articles around, usual suspects could be wifi calling, smart network switch or something syncing in the background. I suspect it's probably something carrier related. I'm in UK with sim free phone and very little bloatware, just the microsoft and samsung apps, was surprised myself that facebook wasn't there and it's staying off. Hopefully 5.1.1 update will fix any issues some people are having.

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I barely lose 1% over night.
Use Wi-fi at night and turn on "Keep wifi on during sleep - only when plugged in " so when it's unplugged and your phone is idle for awhile then the Wi-fi will turn off and stop your notifications and as soon as you turn your screen on and unlock it then Wi-fi will turn back on.

Chan Weng Kin

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I have a clear-cache-partition and it works for me, drain 2~3% in 7hrs sleep with normal setting (no night clock & GPS).
With GPS on, it drain additional 2%(with clock & weather widget updated every 3hrs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk