Anybody going to drop the Mate 9?

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
With all the new flagship phones coming out. Are any of you going to jump ship and move away from the Mate 9? For me the newest Samsung phone(s) look interesting...

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
With all the new flagship phones coming out. Are any of you going to jump ship and move away from the Mate 9? For me the newest Samsung phone(s) look interesting...

My LG G6 is in UPS' hands and should be here tomorrow. Im going to keep the mate 9 I think though. With the latest update its a great phone.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm too scared none of the cameras will beat this. Plus I promised my credit card I'd wait for the Note 8(?)
I buy a lot of phones. I don't want to sound like a hater but the Pixel and S7 cameras are better than the Mate 9. The Pixel camera is just flat out amazing. I just wanted a larger screen and better battery than what the Pixel offered. The Mate 9 was the answer.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Note 8. S8 looks good but can't see spending that money for a device with no spen that hasn't proven itself battery life wise yet. Battery life after using the Mate 9 is everything to me now. I can't go back to average battery life again. The note will be worth it though. The camera, spen and Samsung Pay will drive me there. By then I will also be ready to buy. 900 for an S8 is too much.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Note 8. S8 looks good but can't see spending that money for a device with no spen that hasn't proven itself battery life wise yet. Battery life after using the Mate 9 is everything to me now. I can't go back to average battery life again. The note will be worth it though. The camera, spen and Samsung Pay will drive me there. By then I will also be ready to buy. 900 for an S8 is too much.
The note 8 is the one Im waiting to see but honestly I have had enough of the curved screen fad. Thats the one thing about the G6 that got my attention. That being said, the note 7 was to me the best phone I have had so Im really hoping the 8 can match that.

The mate 9 is excellent, especially battery wise, but its rather large and sometimes uncomfortable.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I have the S7 Edge shelved, I have it on the T-Mobile JUMP ON DEMAND plan. I bought the Mate 9 just to give it a shot, thinking I was going to return it but after experiencing the Mate 9, I haven't picked up the S7 Edge since.

I will get the S8+ on demand since I won't be actually buying it and then I'll replace it with the Note 8 but I'm still keeping my Mate 9. If I like the S8+/Note 8, I'll just interchange them every few weeks or so.

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Long post ahead. Tl;dr, I'll probably keep the Mate 9, but it will likely become a backup to the Pixel XL.

I got the Mate 9 three weeks ago and had been using it as my daily driver until yesterday when I received the Pixel XL I ordered back in February from the Google store (two weeks earlier than I thought).

Before the Mate 9 I was using the V20, which I've had since launch. I got the V20 to replace my Nexus 6, which now lives in my car, and was generally happy with it though I will say the speaker left a bit to be desired. I bought the V20 mainly for screen size and the fact it had Nougat out of the box. Second screen is cool, but I can live without it. Certainly not a gimmick though. Removable battery wasn't important to me nor were the quad DAC or the other advanced audio/video recording features.

I bought the Mate 9 thinking I'd give it a shot since it also had a big screen, sort of stereo speakers, Nougat and great battery life due to the 1080p screen. I was generally happy with it, but the aggressive power management (which can be dealt with but takes a lot of tinkering), the weird notification quirks, and the overly complex settings were starting to bug me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great phone, but these little things can be annoying. It's also a big phone (as is the V20, which is nearly as wide and a tad taller albeit with a smaller screen not counting the second display).

Fast forward to yesterday when my Pixel XL arrived. I know it's still the honeymoon phase, but man this is a nice phone. Yeah, the screen is smaller but with DPI adjustment it'll fit as much as either of the other two while still being readable. Battery life has also been pretty good despite all the playing around with it. Plus, and perhaps most importantly, stock Android. It's nice to not have to use Nova, mess with settings to make it like stock, and otherwise just be able to enjoy the phone. It also feels good in the hand and is much more manageable than the V20 or Mate 9. Time will tell, but I'm really digging it.

Ultimately, I think the Pixel XL will become my daily driver, with the Mate 9 as a secondary/backup phone. I'll probably sell the V20, though that is also TBD.

I'll end by saying all three phones are really good and, depending on one's individual needs, I would not hesitate to recommend any of them.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

brutos08

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Nope battery life is everything to me has been since I started with smartphones and no other device provides the same quality build Great software and tremendous battery life. I moved from the 6p which had atrocious battery life never again will I sacrifice battery life. Also i really don't see any difference in screen quality 1080p is absolutely fantastic. I get average 8 -10 hours with normal day to day usage.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just passed my 30days and return window. although tempted at times to get the latest and maybe greatest the lure of owning a phone that looked like the Empire state building was not strong enough. at almost 1 grand neither was my wallet. :). I hold my Mate 9 till the Note 8 and decide then.

with all the bugs worked out of my Mate i'm perfectly happy :).......

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Battery. Awesome ID scanner. Very slick.

Super charge, no need for wireless. USBC now a must.

Replaced a tablet and iPhone 6S Plus and my DTEK60 was my Android. I need an iOS for a few apps to this day. (And tempted by Red iPhone today still).

There are times I want a 4.0-4.7-5.0" phone, and a safe phone with nothing on it but use as 2FA trusted device.

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Mate 9 for about 3 weeks now and it is an amazing phone. I am considering going back to Samsung and try the S8+ but I really dislike the curved screens as I previously owned an S7 Edge. The Note 8 intrigues me also but again, I can't get past the curved edges and accidental touches. Was a real problem for me. I love everything about the Mate 9 except that the T-Mobile WiFi calling does not work but that is not a deal breaker for me.

I just ordered a Gear S3 Frontier so I will see how that gets along with my Mate 9 before I ultimately make the decision to go full Samsung or not. Really wish there were more options for the "Flat" screen phones than the Pixel or the G6 as far as the latest and greatest phones are concerned. I get the feeling eventually I will be forced to love the curved edges as thats they way things seem to be trending. I just hope they don't continue that way for long.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I have had my Mate 9 for about 3 weeks now and it is an amazing phone. I am considering going back to Samsung and try the S8+ but I really dislike the curved screens as I previously owned an S7 Edge. The Note 8 intrigues me also but again, I can't get past the curved edges and accidental touches. Was a real problem for me. I love everything about the Mate 9 except that the T-Mobile WiFi calling does not work but that is not a deal breaker for me.

I just ordered a Gear S3 Frontier so I will see how that gets along with my Mate 9 before I ultimately make the decision to go full Samsung or not. Really wish there were more options for the "Flat" screen phones than the Pixel or the G6 as far as the latest and greatest phones are concerned. I get the feeling eventually I will be forced to love the curved edges as thats they way things seem to be trending. I just hope they don't continue that way for long.

The gear S3 frontier works amazingly with my honor 8. The only thing is that on the honor 8 and emui 5.0 you can't reply to text via the watch with the native messaging app. I can confirm that it works with Textra.
Not sure if starting a text from the watch works if it's not paired to a Samsung phone.

I did have an S7 for a few days(returned cause eBay seller tried to say it was new and I verified it was 11 months old.) When paired it worked even better which makes since. I like the functionality outside of the Samsung ecosystem. The LTE watch is super sweet.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Well count me in. I loved the mate 9 for sure. But the g6 for the best of me. I returned my mate 9. G6 is amazing although the Mate 9 was also.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Well count me in. I loved the mate 9 for sure. But the g6 for the best of me. I returned my mate 9. G6 is amazing although the Mate 9 was also.

Im on the fence now. Im so close to putting the Mate 9 on Ebay but I cant bring myself to do it just yet. I think I need a week with the G6 to see how the battery is going to work out for me. If I can get through the work day and not have to worry about it then the Mate may very well get sold.

bwhick7492

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I have looked at the g6 but ultimately could not justify the change. The battery life on this phone is just to good. I wish there was a speck case for it.. Also when the phone is paired to my car pocket cast shuts down all the time even with the battery tools telling it to keep it awake.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I have looked at the g6 but ultimately could not justify the change. The battery life on this phone is just to good. I wish there was a speck case for it.. Also when the phone is paired to my car pocket cast shuts down all the time even with the battery tools telling it to keep it awake.

Having the same issue with iheartradio again. If the screen goes to sleep on its own it automatically shuts off. If I manually put the screen to sleep it will play for 5 minutes then shut off even though its excluded from battery optimizations. Im using the phone right now as an android auto dedicated device so I may keep it for now but little quirks like this get annoying.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm too scared none of the cameras will beat this. Plus I promised my credit card I'd wait for the Note 8(?)

I've had my eye one the Mate 9 & thought about getting it. The camera looks great. I'll bet you're having a great time. I decided I would hold off for the upcoming Zenfone 3 Zoom, Nokia Flagships or Note 8.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky