The Update is Now Available!

Tommunist

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Rollout begins this week; update is available for sideloading!

Software Updates - Barnes*&*Noble

What's new in V1.2.0?

The NOOK Color Ver1.2.0 update contains new features and enhancements, including:
?Access to shop a broad collection of popular NOOK Apps? to enjoy great games, stay up to date on news and weather, and more
?Full-featured free email to check and send web-based email (i.e., Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL) all from one in-box
?NOOK Color?s update to Android OS 2.2/Froyo offers system improvements, browser performance and a more complete Web experience giving customers access to enjoy even more video, interactive and animated content. NOOK Color now includes support for Adobe? Flash? Player
?NOOK Kids? exciting new Read and Play titles that bring animation, activities and stories together
?NOOK Books Enhanced offer in-page video and audio in a growing number of titles
?Enhancements to magazine navigation making it easier to enjoy even more of the growing selection of magazines in NOOK Newsstand
?NOOK Friends? (beta) to see your friends? reading activities, swap books with LendMe?, share recommendations and discover new titles

How do I get Version 1.2.0?

The ver1.2.0 update is available over the next week as an automatic download that will roll out to NOOK Color customers connected to Wi-Fi?; or to get the software update right now, follow the instructions above for manual download.

If your NOOK Color is registered and has Wi-Fi? connectivity (Wi-Fi? should be turned ON and connected to a hotspot), your device will be updated over the next week.

The process will take 4-5 minutes for a manual download (depending on your Internet connection). You should NOT turn your NOOK Color off while the new software is being downloaded. Once the software update is completed, your NOOK Color will automatically restart and display the Home screen. The software update will preserve your personal settings, including your registered account information, content, display settings, and Wi-Fi? settings

Will I be prompted to start the automatic download over Wi-Fi?

The software will be downloaded to your device in a rolling update over the next week and automatically install when the device is idle. Once the update has been installed, you?ll see a small green ?n? on the left side status bar.

How do I know I have received the update?

To verify you have the latest version of the NOOK Color software, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK Color and check to see that your Software version is 1.2.0.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is great I guess for people that just want a normal Nook. If this is you what are you doing on these forums? i:)i

It may be a step up for rooted stock people though so that is always a good thing.

I went to CM7 and am not looking back so to me this is a big YAWN!

Once you go above FroYo, you never go back. i:)i

anon(12815)

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
This is great I guess for people that just want a normal Nook. If this is you what are you doing on these forums? i:)i

It may be a step up for rooted stock people though so that is always a good thing.

I went to CM7 and am not looking back so to me this is a big YAWN!

Once you go above FroYo, you never go back. i:)i

The only reason to go back is to get back the original Nook Color app... believe it or not but some people actually like to use it for reading...:p

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This is great. As soon as it is rooted I will upgrade. CM7 is nice, but I use my unit as a reader first and tablet second. Also, CM7 seems to a few bugs to fix with power.

mbhweiss

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Rooted Nook won't upgrade

I tried sideloading the update, but it won't take on my rooted nook. Looks like I'll have to restore to "factory" first.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The only reason to go back is to get back the original Nook Color app... believe it or not but some people actually like to use it for reading...:p

I agree if you need that. I am not into reading magazines/books from BaN myself. I just use Moon reader for all my books which I convert into EPub format. I totally understand the need for the official BaN app for those that need it. i:)i

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue a few weeks ago and restored my Nook to the factory settings. I tried sideloading 1.1 but it didn't work. Hopefully 1.2 will be recognized.

Edit: The sideloaded 1.2 update installed with no issues.

Last edited:

jeregano

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I really like reading magazines and books using the stock nook app. My rooted nook has been the perfect device for me with the only thing I feel I need being Flash. When this is rooted I will be excited, right now I just hope the steps I have taken will keep it from being updated and breaking my root too work.

ffastffrank

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted to 2.1, but have zeem & Go launcher and a lot of screens organized in categories. Sure would appreciate a complete discussion on how to get B&Noble 2.2 update and save all the structured apps.

scott257

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Question - I rooted my nook using instructions here. Now it appears there are some advantages to loading the new Barnes & Noble update (flash enabled web browser). If this is not correct, can someone please clue me in? I like having the freedom of the rooted nook but would really like to have flash for my web browser.

Edit: I guess as an additional question, has anyone with the new update used the browser and checked the flash capabilities? It would be nice to know how it is working.

Last edited:

boblinv

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Update

I would like to do the manual update on my NC but am not sure exactly where to put the zip file. I have a regular NC.

Thanks

calikingz

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I would like to do the manual update on my NC but am not sure exactly where to put the zip file. I have a regular NC.

Thanks
Download the file from the BnN site and then connect your Nook via USB cable to computer then copy the downloaded file to the root directory of the Nook. The nook will update itself and reboot. Hope that helps :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majd27t