Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil Nickinson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Default MNFM: Phil gets a head start

So I've been cheating. Well, no so much cheating, I just got a head start.

Thanked by:
    p08757 
    Paul627g likes this.

You're lucky I don't run anymore or I'd be lapping you silly

Sent from my Nexus S

ROM
    4.0.3 Rooted

Default Re: MNFM: Phil gets a head start

time to play catchup...

I'm so glad you added this forum!

I began using Cardiotrainer (that unfortunately morphed into Noom) about 9/10 months ago and I lost 30 lbs in that timeframe. I know that all of my weight loss wasn't due to the app, but it helped me more than any other aid I had tried.

It seems the app developer is phasing out the cardiotrainer and focusing on the Noom app more. Noom is bloaty, expensive ($10 month for full services), and cumbersome to use.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Here is my stats on endomondo

Last edited by p08757; 02-01-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Figured it out
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

All -- You may want to edit your privacy settings to not show your maps.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'll be the first to admit it, Im a soda (Or Pop, for you fellow midwesterners) junkie, so I'm going to eliminate soda, and the occasional brew from my diet.

I've also been monumentally lazy this winter. Fast approaching 40, I realize that's probably not a good thing. I work approximately 1.9 miles from work. So weather permitting, tomorrow I start beating feet for my commute.

As the week progresses, I'll add some basic excercises to the morning routine.

This is a great contest. I'm the type that needs some additional motivation when the weather is nasty, so this is perfect. I'll try to document my progress with photo's as this goes on.

Getting acute bronchitis didn't help (I just got antibiotics for it), but I'm liking the fact my health will allow me to start exercising again in FITNESS MONTH!

- Josh

My personal blog, The Walking Blogger
    Add me on Google+!
    Or if you prefer, try @joshmunoz on Twitter!

I started working out again about a month ago & I've lost 10lbs so far. Its good to see this site doing something like this. I'm not sure about everyone else but I can definitely use the extra motivation. Thanks!!!

I'm in.... Hey Phil you should create a challenge and link it in here and all of us can join

Well I went ahead and created a challenge for us... It's for the most miles all sports for the month of February....

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

My friend challenged me to get in shape and race him in April. This gives me even more motivation. Ran 5 miles today.

Are we supposed to log our workouts using Edmondo? I don't do a ton of cardio via actual running. But since cardio is really getting your heart rate up to a certain point for a certain amount of time, I accomplish this with a lot of weighted circuit or bodyweight training. So I'm wondering if we are to use Edmondo, how exactly to track this.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

It's not clear if this is where we're supposed to post our goals for week 1, or if that was supposed to be in the iphone forums where the links in the post used to take us.

My goal for this week is to run 15 miles total. I've run Mon and Wed so far - 5 1/3 Miles each. I have one more day to run to reach this goal. I've been using cardotrainer. I'm not sure how to share my run information, if that's necessary for this contest.

PM me if you need proof of my runs.

Ok, now a message for you folks who tend to be exercise avoiders.

In 2005 I had a heart attack. I was an exercise avoider then too. After I was released from the hospital, I couldn't run more than 20 feet before having to stop and catch my breath. I didn't realize how far down hill I'd gotten physically.

Since then I've changed my life around completely from a physical fitness perspective. I'm still not the most fit person out there. Yet even though, my heart has some damage and doesn't work as good as it should, I now run 4-5 miles when I run. I am often running around a 9 min pace - sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

So I'm here telling you, you can do it.

Don't hurt yourself. Start slow, see how it's going, then increase a little and evaluate again. Keep doing this until you feel like you're about 70-80% of max and hold there.

If I can do this, you can too.

- John
    Helping you move from financial stress to personal significance.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    I'll be the first to admit it, Im a soda (Or Pop, for you fellow midwesterners) junkie, so I'm going to eliminate soda, and the occasional brew from my diet.

I've also been monumentally lazy this winter. Fast approaching 40, I realize that's probably not a good thing. I work approximately 1.9 miles from work. So weather permitting, tomorrow I start beating feet for my commute.

As the week progresses, I'll add some basic excercises to the morning routine.

This is a great contest. I'm the type that needs some additional motivation when the weather is nasty, so this is perfect. I'll try to document my progress with photo's as this goes on.
    Walking to work is a great way to get an easy workout in, especially if you are about 2 miles away.

As soon as the weather and daylight allows, I will be riding my bike to work a few days a week. I work at 2 different locations. One is about 6 miles away and the other is just over 10 miles away. Both are nice rides.

Last year I logged over 300 miles of riding to work. This year my goal is over 400 miles.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kiltedthrower View Post
    Are we supposed to log our workouts using Edmondo? I don't do a ton of cardio via actual running. But since cardio is really getting your heart rate up to a certain point for a certain amount of time, I accomplish this with a lot of weighted circuit or bodyweight training. So I'm wondering if we are to use Edmondo, how exactly to track this.
    With Edmondo you can create manual entries. They have lots of various types of exercise to choose from. I would download the app and take it for a test drive.

ROM
    Codename 1.1.1/franco 12

Phil, I want to commend you on not only deciding to make healthy choices for yourself but reaching out to all the people of AC and encouraging them to do the same!

You can't outrun a bad diet. No matter how many miles or hours you spend in a gym you HAVE to start by making healthy food choices.

Eliminate processed foods.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

I ran again this morning for a little over 5 miles (5.12 according to Cardio Trainer). This make for about 15 2/3 miles this week for me.

- John
    Helping you move from financial stress to personal significance.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Well, the last two days I've walked to work. Not bad at all. The hard part has been staying away from Soda. I've done it, but I'm craving the caffine/sugar high. I have had 4 cups of coffee over the last two days, but I've had them black, without cream or sugar.

This weekend I'll fiddle with the fitness apps available for Android to chart my progress. I've never used one before, so are there any recommendations for one with a simple UI? Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    807 Global Posts

Another Endomondo user...

Was slacking a bit the last few months... being nervous about riding in the dark meant I mostly rode on the weekends... and then the NFL playoffs happened...

Anyone wanna do an Android Central Endomondo team? Could go against users from the other sites in the network.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts

@jdgafflin... I quite soft drinks and coffee, and sneak a caffeine tablet here and there to help my craving Not the best thing, but could be worse. And, no sugar

I have Jogtracker (simple) And Endomondo. Complex somewhat, but very cool.

i for one am very glad to see Phil's headstart get a slow down, i needs to catch up. If only their were a MWC event in central illinois...
    LG Optimus V - CM 9.1 BobZ