CONTEST: Resting MY Way!

Rene Ritchie

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
February is fitness month at Mobile Nations, and you know what that means? we all get together to get in shape, share tips and tricks and recipes for success, review amazing apps and accessories, give away great prizes, and have a ton of fun!

This here is our Resting MY Way contest. Simply tell us how you use your Android phone or tablet to sleep, nap, meditate, or breathe better and stay healthier. What are your favorite apps? Yoga? Guided meditation? White noise? Timers? What are your go to accessories? How does your device fit your active lifestyle? We want to know!

Write them out like a blog post. Yup, use paragraphs, list apps, list accessories, make it really helpful for anyone else interested in using their tech for exercise!

We'll post the best entries on Friday, so get them in ASAP! Need more incentive? We'll pick one winner a week and send them a $100 gift certificate!

What are you waiting for, start posting NOW!

jackbcohen2

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I use the volume down button on my Nexus 7 to help me sleep, along with a website called sleepyti.me to help me determine what time to go to bed. Finally, I use a dock with my Motorola Droid and the Ultimate Alarm Clock app to wake me in the morning. Thanks Mobile NAtions

gksmithlcw

Software Engineer
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't use my device to aid me in sleep religiously but I do find that white noise helps me to sleep and when it's too chili in my bedroom to run my fan (my number one white noise generator) I've found a great app called White Noise that provides some really great features and gives me the white noise my brain seems to crave for restful sleep.

Another app I use for a multitude of things including relaxation is Binaural Beats Therapy which has not only routines for sleep and meditation but also for mental acuity and a plethora of other things. I find this app very effective for multiple purposes.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I used to use an app called "Sleep as Android" https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.urbandroid.sleep&token=AFrUzT4y . You turn it on before when you go to bed and it (claims to) track your sleep cycle and wake you in at the optimal point in your sleep cycle.

The way it works is you put your phone in the bed with you and it uses your phones gyroscope to keep track of when you're moving (tossing/turning in bed) and when you're not. And it adjust your alarm to within a specified amount of time to wake you up when you're already moving because that when you're (supposedly) not in a deep sleep.

Example: If I set my alarm for 6:00 am and tell it to wake me up within 30 minutes of my alarm, it will start watching for movement at 5:30 and when I move or roll over it will sound my alarm (it could be anytime between 5:30 and 6:30).

I put some disclaimers on the above explanation because I've always been a little skeptical of the science, but I will say that it seemed to help me wake up easier. (Before using it I'd often sleep though my alarm.) I've stopped using it because when you share a bed with someone it doesn't seem to work as well for obvious reasons.

Update: It looks like they've added a lot of functionality to it since I've stopped using it sleep tracking, decifit tracking, lullaby playlists/nature sounds, captcha based alarms, etc. I might try to start using it again. Although a lot of it seems to require unlock purchases; it would be nice if the dev sold a pro version or something that included everything, but I guess this gives you the choice.

Update2: I'd love to here Daniel's thoughts on this app during the podcast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update 3, I started a sleep log:

So I started a sleep log. I created it as a spreadsheet in Google Drive, so I can get to it with my phone from anywhere (since my phone is always next to the bed, and it the first thing I pick up in the morning). I have it set up so I just enter the time I went to be and the time that I work up, and it automatically calculates how many hours I slept and what my sleep deficit is (based on a 7 hours a night requirement).

I counted any time between my alarm going off and actually getting out of bed as half, because I'm still resting, but only really "half-asleep". It seemed reasonable to me, but I don't know if the science backs up that assumption.

Last edited:

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
How I use my android device to sleep better is the phone is well my alarm clock. The app I use is gentle alarm.

What I like about gentle alarm is I can set it up to have a different alarm schedule depending on the day of the week. Now of course I have mine set up for the work week and then weekend. The app does have a night mode that will just be a standard clock. I do not find that feature useful as I just want it to be an alarm clock. Now it does tell me when I go into the app or using the widget how long until the next alarm which helps encourage me to go bed on time.
Now it also has snooze settings based on how many times I hit snooze. It can make me solve a easy puzzle to make sure I am awake or even only allow so many snoozes before it forces me to turn it off and get my lazy rear out of bed. This mix with a gentle alarm system that can go off 30 mins or more before the schedule time. It is does not really wake one up during that time but it is loud enough that if one is in the right part of the sleep cycle it will wake one up. I like this as it does not cause me to wake up from in a deep sleep so I do not feel tired all day.
Also it is really easy for me on the app to tell it to skip the next alarm for those days I do take off.
It is an app I strongly recommend to any one. it is $2.66 but well worth it.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tlealarm&feature=search_result&token=GsJ_Dmz9

2006scionxa

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I use the chroma doze app from the market. I set my equalizer on max volume. Plug the music bullet into the headphone jack. Then turn the chroma doze app on and the white noise just helps me block out everything and sleep 7-8 hours per night. I also have two fans to enhance the constant noise in my bedroom. Without these aids i would not sleep well at all. Even when i travel i bring all the above mentioned items with me.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My default app on my htc - clock. It may sound simple but it wakes me up... lets face it we beg for those extra minutes sleeping. As loud as it is it denies me that sleep in and allows me to get my 8-9Hrs sleep and to get to training on time. Without it I would probably sleep too much and get no exercise in at all! Besides that I don't really use any apps to help me sleep. Recently I haven't been setting my alarm and have been waking up really early... must be the alarm at 5am scaring me to sleep.

Jay2pt0

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I like to use my phone to sleep by enable Do Not Disturb. Most of my sleep is interrupted by a ringing and chiming phone. This way I sleep uninterrupted and return calls when I'm a brighter happier me. I also like to use Sleep Cycle alarm Clock. It wakes you during you lightest sleeping that way you wale more natural instead of a screaming noise.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza