Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Why not Office Mobile?

As you all probably know by now, Microsoft made Office Mobile free today for Android, as of 2:00 pm, and it was available for download and install from the Play Store at the same time. I tried to install it and it says the device is incompatible. Does anyone know, is that true, and if so, why? By the way, the device is the Sero 7 Pro.

Default Re: Why not Office Mobile?

I'll sideload it right now to test the myth.
    I'll report back soon.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I just got the same thing. Was coming here to see if anyone else was seeing it also. Why would they make it free for phones but not even available for tablets?

Surprise surprise, the app works sideloaded. I saw that one coming.
    I'm confused about the decision as well. Tablets are perfect to use as an office suite... Office plus SwiftKey could possibly be even more productive, practical and portable than a laptop. Sheesh Microsoft.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jerbear64 View Post
    Surprise surprise, the app works sideloaded. I saw that one coming.
    I'm confused about the decision as well. Tablets are perfect to use as an office suite... Office plus SwiftKey could possibly be even more productive, practical and portable than a laptop. Sheesh Microsoft.

The links that I read which made me aware of the offer, said tablets and phones. But, pardon my ignorance, but I am a Low Techie. I am not familiar with sideloading. Is that something you can do only if you are rooted? Does a sideloaded app work on you Sero 7 Pro?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

The Tweets that I saw today which had links to articles announcing this, said tablets and phones. So I don't know what is going on. That is what I am trying to find out. I have already sent an email to Hisense tablet support regarding this too. It was at the end of the day today, so I haven't received a response yet. If I do, I will post it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lowe View Post
    The links that I read which made me aware of the offer, said tablets and phones. But, pardon my ignorance, but I am a Low Techie. I am not familiar with sideloading. Is that something you can do only if you are rooted? Does a sideloaded app work on you Sero 7 Pro?
    Sideloading is just installing an app from a source outside of Google Play Store. You do not need root to sideload. Most of the time apps that "aren't compatible" work fine when sideloaded.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Sideloading is just installing an app from a source outside of Google Play Store. You do not need root to sideload. Most of the time apps that "aren't compatible" work fine when sideloaded.

Where can I find instructions on how to sideload? Is there a link you can post?

Where can I find instructions on how to sideload? Is there a link you can post?
    It's not hard at all.
    Just go to your system settings, then Security, then check Unknown Sources. Then just look for the apk file (e.g. Type in "flappy bird apk" in Google), download the file, then run it. Select "package installer" after tapping the apk file and the app will install.

The links that I read which made me aware of the offer, said tablets and phones.
    Please go back to the play store and read everything again. it clearly says " Requires a phone running Android OS 4.0 or later." Now maybe at a later date it will be available for tables.

and here is says android phone only
    Office Mobile - Office.com

By the way it works great on my PHONE and try sideloading as this might work for you.
    LG-isai
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I guess what I should have asked is, how can I find the source?

I guess what I should have asked is, how can I find the source?
    There are dozens on the Internet. Just type the name of the app into Google followed by apk.
    Don't use this for paid apps, though, or you could get into trouble.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I didn't read it on the Play Store. It was posted on all of the blogs from the various Android sites that tweeted on it today. Besides, I have several apps loaded and operating on my tablet that the Play Store said was for phones. They all work fine.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

There are dozens on the Internet. Just type the name of the app into Google followed by apk.
    Don't use this for paid apps, though, or you could get into trouble.

yes, I was looking specifically for the free version that was announced today. Based on what I found, I don't think there is an apk for it. I looked back at the posts where they said tablets. They don't all say it. The ones that do, I think were mistaken. It looks like, as someone else replied, that this instance was strictly for phones and tablets may come at a later date. You must have an Office 365 subscription, since you were able to sideload it on your tablet and you said it works. Is that correct?

yes, I was looking specifically for the free version that was announced today. Based on what I found, I don't think there is an apk for it. I looked back at the posts where they said tablets. They don't all say it. The ones that do, I think were mistaken. It looks like, as someone else replied, that this instance was strictly for phones and tablets may come at a later date. You must have an Office 365 subscription, since you were able to sideload it on your tablet and you said it works. Is that correct?
    Yep. Works perfectly. Of course I uninstalled it after checking for you.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Yep. Works perfectly. Of course I uninstalled it after checking for you.

Thanks, for your help and your time. I have an earlier version of Windows, but this Spring when Office 365 becomes available in the lower cost, one user version, I am going to subscribe to it. After I do, I'll try again to sideload it on my tablet. Otherwise if it doesn't work, I'll just wait until they make it available for tablets, if they ever do. Thanks again.
    Thanked by: