Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Default Review: Bought a Sero 8

I stopped by Wally World after work yesterday and bought a new Sero 8. I played with it for a few hours last night and here are my first impressions.

Background: I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 tablet, which I've had for going on 2 years. I have a Galaxy S4 phone. I've had several other Android phones, Blackberry phones, iOS devices, and other Android tablets. I have been developing software professionally since 1984 (on numerous OSes, but mostly Windows). I have rooted Android devices, Jailbroken iOS, and installed ROMs on Android and Blackberry devices over the years. I have built PCs from scratch and disassembled/reassembled laptops, tablets, and smartphones to do things like replace motherboards, CPUs, cooling fans, etc.. I have my own soldering station and I know how to use it. I would classify myself as "technical".

The purchase: The sales dude at Wally World had to scratch his head and end up rummaging around in the back for a while to find the one and only Sero 8 they had in stock. I'm pretty confident he didn't even know it existed until I asked for it and he looked it up in his store inventory. I bought the 2 year accidental damage warranty. The placard he had said it was $28. It rang up as $39. He was able to price override it back to $28, but I suspect they are in the process of a price hike, so anyone's ability to get the $28 price might be shortlived. The tablet itself was $129 (.99?).

The unboxing: It was packaged pretty much like every other tablet I've purchased. Nothing to remark on here.

The hardware: It really surprised me how thin and light it feels compared to my Note 10.1. I knew it would be some lighter, but it's a LOT lighter (it seems). And thinner. The rim of the Sero feels "rubberized". It's nice and has a good, tacky, non-slip feel to it. The back is slightly textured and feels like plastic, but also with a little "tack" to it - not slippery, like the back of my Note 10.1 or S4. I handed it to one of my IT guys at work this morning and he IMMEDIATELY remarked on how nice it felt in his hand.

It's clearly intended to be used primarily in portrait mode. All the controls, the charging port, etc., are all on the top, except for the volume rocker, which is high on the right side. I was a little surprised that the microUSB charging port was on top, but it actually seems like a good idea, as I can have it laying on my desk or nightstand charging, without having the charging cable coming out the bottom and looping back up the side to reach the power source.

It had about 85% battery charge when I first turned it on. I used it for several hours then left it laying on my bedside table overnight. This morning, it had 35'ish % or so. I did load a decent number of apps last night and connected it to my two separate Exchange ActiveSync accounts - both using Push full-time.

The screen looks good to me. I believe the resolution is, essentially, the same as the resolution on my Note 10.1. Being smaller means it has a higher pixel density, so it's no surprise that it looks good to me. Comparing it to my S4, I opened the same photo on both and compared them side by side. The S4 has a Full HD (1080p) screen, where the Sero is HD (720p). Side by side, the S4 screen is clearly better. But, without the side by side, the Sero screen is likely to be just fine for me for pretty much anything I'll use it for. I think it's a bit like 1080p TVs versus 4K. Sure, when you see them in a store, you can clearly see that the 4K TV looks better. But, are you REALLY not perfectly happy with your 1080p TV at home? I certainly am.

Usage: One of the first things I noticed is that, apparently, the Sero does not have an Ambient Light Sensor. So, the Brightness does not have an Automatic option. You have to manually change it. Sadly, my Note 10.1 DOES have an Automatic setting, but the automatic setting choice for brightness is always too dim for me, so I am completely used to never using Automatic and always setting the brightness manually. It would be nice to have Automatic brightness, if it were usable, but, in real life, not having it has not been a notable hardship for me.

The next thing I noticed was that I went into Maps immediately and verified that it had a working GPS. It showed my location right away, but upon further inspection, it LOOKS like that was just done using WiFi and it looks like it doesn't have a built-in GPS at all. If that proves true, this unit will definitely be going back to Wally World in about 13 days.

The UI, in general, seems to be pretty vanilla Android, but I guess I'm not well-qualified to make that judgment, since I've never owned a Nexus device, nor have I run CyanogenMod since I had it on my old HP TouchPad. I definitely did not notice any particular bloatware. There were a few default widgets on the stock homescreen, most of which I deleted immediately. And the Walmart and Sam's Club apps were preinstalled, along with Kingsoft Office, the VUDU app, Twitter, Chrome, and a TV Remote app.

In Settings/Storage, it shows Total Space as 12.55GB, with Available (currently) as 10.88GB.

Speedwise, so far it seems perfectly fine. I haven't notice any non-trivial lagging - but, admittedly, I haven't done a lot of hard use yet. But, while it was downloading and/or updating installed apps, I was still able to do other stuff without a problem.

I installed my usual Nova launcher and it imported the desktop setup from the stock launcher and seems to work fine. As do Kindle, Zinio, TweetCaster, FaceBook, and eBay. And the Verizon Messages app surprised me by installing and working fine AND populating itself with all my text messages from the past. I actually have no idea how far back they go. And I don't know if Verizon Messages would do that for a first-time user, or if it did that by virtue of already using the app on my Note 10.1.

My only gripe with apps so far are:

Tapatalk: I use this is a lot for Internet forums on my Note 10.1. On the Sero, it works fine for 2 of my "daily" forums, but the one forum I am the most active on doesn't work on the Sero. I won't bore you with the details here. I am going to email the developer the details, though. The net net is all 3 work on my Note and only 2 work on the Sero. There was an update available for Tapatalk this morning. I took it and now my Tapatalk icon says "Tapatalk beta". But, the problem is still there. Tapatalk needs a fix.

Maps: The installed version is 7.5. When I look at Maps in the Play store, it says the current version is 6.14.5. But, the version on my S4 is 8.1. So, the version on the Sero doesn't give me the option to cache maps for offline use and I don't see how to update it so it will. You might say if there is no built-in GPS, the point is moot. But, I disagree. My Note 10.1 is WiFi-only and it has a built-in GPS. And I use it a lot. I turn on the hotspot on my phone when I'm driving and the Note works great for navigation using the built-in GPS and Internet access through my mobile hotspot. [Side note: I really don't know why anyone pays extra for a tablet with cellular AND pays for a second data plan, instead of just using their phone as a hotspot and paying for only one data plan - and only paying for one cellular device. But I digress...] And when I cache maps for offline use, I don't even need the hotspot. Without a built-in GPS, the Sero can't function quite as well, but there are apps that would let the tablet pull location from the phone's GPS. So, if I could cache maps, I could still be in an area with no cellular signal at all and use the phone to provide GPS data to the tablet and use the tablet for navigation. Bottom line: If Google is preventing me from updating to Maps 8.1 because the tablet is WiFi-only and/or does not have built-in GPS, they really should change that.

Other notes:

Wifi: It has worked flawlessly, so far. But, I have a 2.4GHz access point and a 5GHz access point. It did not detect my 5GHz AP, so I suspect the built-in WiFi only operates on 2.4GHz.

MicroSD: I have a 64GB microSD in my S4. I just took it out and put it in the Sero and tried to mount it and it would show "Preparing SD card" briefly in the notification bar, and then nothing. It may be that the card is not formatted however the Sero needs it to be. But, I think it SHOULD mount it and give me the option to format it, in that case. So, maybe the claim of microSD "up to 32GB" is really true. In which case, it will go back to Wally World, even if it does turn out to have a GPS.

Also, I took the microSD back out (without powering the tablet down, since the card wouldn't mount) and it put a notification in the notification bar that said "Storage removed. Please insert another card" or something like that. And I could not dismiss the message. I had to reboot the tablet to get rid of that message. Which reminds me...

Power button menu: I was surprised to find that when I hold down the power button, I get a popup box that has choices for "Power off", "Airplane mode", and "Silent mode". As far as I can tell, there is no way to simply reboot the tablet. You have to choose "Power off", wait for it to finish shutting down, then hold down the power button again to turn it back on.

Charging: I have a generic microUSB cord, plugged into an aftermarket adapter that has a 2A port. Plugging that into the tablet seems to allow it to charge just fine.

Summary: This thing ROCKS - for $129. The tablet I really want is the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. But, $399 versus $129 compelled me to try the Sero. $129 is almost into "disposable" territory. $400 for the Samsung would get me a screen that is clearly better and slightly bigger. And it would get me a GPS. And, it wouldn't be fair to leave out that that extra money will also get me access to a much wider array of accessories, 2 more GB of RAM, and (probably) more software updates from the manufacturer. But, is that really worth $270? I'm at the point where I need to wear reading glasses on occasion - though I never do when I'm using my tablet. So, I'm definitely not going to notice the better resolution in any of my normal usage. And I'm pretty unlikely to watch movies on an 8" screen. For the rare occasions where I want to do that (say, on a plane), I'll use my Note 10.1. I'd rather watch a 10" 720p screen than an 8.4" 1080p (or better) screen anyway.

I suspect most people won't care about having a built-in GPS. Most probably will be fine to live with a max of 32GB for the microSD. And FEW would return it just because Tapatalk doesn't work on some Internet forums. However, all 3 of those are dealbreakers for me. However, I plan to live with this tablet right up until the end of my return period. I want to see if living with a 7"-class tablet (and I lump this into that category simply because it's about the same size as the new Samsung Galaxy Tabs S 8.4, which is thinner than the Nexus 7 2013 and only 12mm taller and 12mm wider - but I do realize that all 8"-class tablets are trending in the direction of smaller overall size, so 7" will really be the new 8" shortly) is actually as nice as what I think it will be. I have the idea that a 7"-er will be more comfortable to hold when I'm laying in bed, and that it will often fit in a pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing, so I'll be able to carry it around with me all the time, where I often choose not to carry my 10"-er around because it won't fit in a pocket and I want my hands free. I'll be on a road trip all next week, so it will actually be a really good test for me.

So, unless you have somewhat unusual (I think) requirements, as I do, my first day's impression is that the Sero 8 is a GREAT choice for a tablet for just about anyone. It's running Kit Kat, out of the box. Even if it never gets another software update from HiSense, how big a deal is that when you only paid $129?! When they release a new $129 tablet in a year with Lemonhead Pie Taffysaver on it, you can laugh at all the people with their $400 tablets who are complaining that they still don't have it for their tablets as you walk past to plunk down another $129 and buy the latest and greatest for yourself. And with that said, maybe GPS and the microSD will turn out to not be dealbreakers for me after all. 2 weeks time will tell...

UPDATE: Earlier, I had stated that this (the Sero 8) was thinner than the Nexus 7 2013. I was incorrect. It is notably thicker. It's the Galaxy Tab S 8.4. I had also been looking at those specs and gotten myself confused. My apologies to anyone who took what I wrote and made a disappointing (to them) decision.
    Last edited by StuartV; 06-30-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    Thanked by:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Default Re: Review: Bought a Sero 8

ps. I have a new, blank 64GB microSD at home. I will spend some time soon and see if I can format it in my laptop and get it to work in the Sero. I will update my report after that.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Updates: I just went through My Apps in the Play store and queued about 35+ more apps to be downloaded and installed to the Sero. The process seemed to confirm that the Sero does not have a GPS. Every app that had anything to do with Location said it was not compatible and I couldn't install it. That list included:

Poynt
    USA Today
    Speedtest
    Bandsintown
    Yelp
    PayPal
    The Weather Channel
    Urbanspoon

I can't imagine why PayPal would refuse to install based on lack of a GPS, so that may not be the reason, but regardless it wouldn't let me install it.

Google Wallet would not install, which reminds that I meant to figure out if the Sero supports NFC. I'm guessing not.

Regarding Tapatalk, I tried the same forum from Tapatalk on my S4 (phone) and basically had the same problem. The S4 and Sero are both running Android v4.4.2. My Note, which access the same forum just fine is on Android 4.1.2.

I discovered the Forum Fiend app and tried that and it works fine with the forum that Tapatalk won't let me get to. Funny, since Forum Fiend says it's built on top of the Tapatalk API. Anyway, it seems clear that the Tapatalk app itself is the problem here.

Apps that I installed and tried briefly all work. The ones I tried include:

Battery Monitor Widget
    Screen Off and Lock
    Forum Fiend
    Dropbox
    Evernote
    Meetup

The GPS thing is seeming more and more damning - and for reasons I would not have thought of! I can't jack the WiFi at Starbuck's, The Nation's Hot Spot, and peruse Yelp to find someplace to get a good beer? Seriously?!?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Battery: I gave it its first full charge while at work today. Then unplugged it and let it sit on my desk. I haven't use it much directly, but I downloaded a bunch of apps (queued via the browser on my PC) and, of course, it's been receiving email (from 2 different accounts) all day plus Twitter, Facebook and Meetup notifications.

It is currently showing 4 hours on battery, with 22 minutes of screen-on time, and has dropped to 95%.

That is all.

Update: I'm still running off the first full battery charge. It currently says 1d 20h 53m on battery, 20% battery left. 2h 41m of screen on time.
    Last edited by StuartV; 06-27-2014 at 09:27 AM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

CPU: The Android Central article that turned me onto the Sero 8 said that it has a 1.6GHz quad-core CPU. Well, some Googling revealed that the CPU is an RK3188. BUT, there are two versions of this chip: The RK3188 is 1.6GHz and the RK3188T is still quad-core, but only 1.4GHz.

I just installed and ran an app called "Android Hardware Info" from JFDP Labs. According to it, the Sero CPU has 4 cores and is running at a max of 1416 MHz. Which is a double bummer. One, because it's slower than AC billed it. And, two, because it's likely that it won't respond well to overclocking. My understanding is that manufacturers typically make chips like these and test them. In this case, if it didn't test stable at 1.6GHz, but was stable at 1.4, then they would stamp it as a RK3188T and sell it. If it tested okay at 1.6, then they stamp it as a RK3188 (no T) and sell it for more money. So, this being a T processor is a big clue that it probably won't be stable running overclocked.

The hardware info app also does not show the presence of a GPS, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
    Updates: I just went through My Apps in the Play store and queued about 35+ more apps to be downloaded and installed to the Sero. The process seemed to confirm that the Sero does not have a GPS. Every app that had anything to do with Location said it was not compatible and I couldn't install it. That list included:

Poynt
    USA Today
    Speedtest
    Bandsintown
    Yelp
    PayPal
    The Weather Channel
    Urbanspoon

I can't imagine why PayPal would refuse to install based on lack of a GPS, so that may not be the reason, but regardless it wouldn't let me install it.

Google Wallet would not install, which reminds that I meant to figure out if the Sero supports NFC. I'm guessing not.

Regarding Tapatalk, I tried the same forum from Tapatalk on my S4 (phone) and basically had the same problem. The S4 and Sero are both running Android v4.4.2. My Note, which access the same forum just fine is on Android 4.1.2.

I discovered the Forum Fiend app and tried that and it works fine with the forum that Tapatalk won't let me get to. Funny, since Forum Fiend says it's built on top of the Tapatalk API. Anyway, it seems clear that the Tapatalk app itself is the problem here.

Apps that I installed and tried briefly all work. The ones I tried include:

Battery Monitor Widget
    Screen Off and Lock
    Forum Fiend
    Dropbox
    Evernote
    Meetup

The GPS thing is seeming more and more damning - and for reasons I would not have thought of! I can't jack the WiFi at Starbuck's, The Nation's Hot Spot, and peruse Yelp to find someplace to get a good beer? Seriously?!?
    Sero 7 doesn't have GPS and as a budget Tablet I figured this onbe wouldn't ethier so that is no surprise to me. You can get your locatation over WiFi so I don't know why on a Budget Tablet it would be a big deal, after all it's only WiFi and you won't have any connection when on the Road anyway. I formatted a 64gb card to work on the Sero 7 so I see no reason why you couldn't do that on the Sero 8; but do let us know.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barry View Post
    You can get your locatation over WiFi so I don't know why on a Budget Tablet it would be a big deal, after all it's only WiFi and you won't have any connection when on the Road anyway.
    I already addressed these points, but to recap: It's a big deal because I can't use Yelp and a whole list of other apps that have a Location component (but are still very useful even without Location). I mean, it won't even let me install these apps!

And I always have a connection on the road via my phone's hotspot. As most people could. It's my understanding that, at least for Verizon customers, using your phone as a mobile hotspot no longer even costs extra - unless you have Unlimited data, as I do.

And paying an extra $15 per month for a hotspot on Unlimited is way cheaper than paying for a separate data plan for my tablet - not even counting the extra cost of buying an LTE tablet in the first place.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Ps. Thanks for the tip on the 64 gig card.

I already addressed these points, but to recap: It's a big deal because I can't use Yelp and a whole list of other apps that have a Location component (but are still very useful even without Location). I mean, it won't even let me install these apps!

And I always have a connection on the road via my phone's hotspot. As most people could. It's my understanding that, at least for Verizon customers, using your phone as a mobile hotspot no longer even costs extra - unless you have Unlimited data, as I do.

And paying an extra $15 per month for a hotspot on Unlimited is way cheaper than paying for a separate data plan for my tablet - not even counting the extra cost of buying an LTE tablet in the first place.
    It's very easy to solve this "problem" too. Simply sideload any app you like, so those usefully apps that you like that won't install because of no gps can easily be over come; I've done this very thing on my Sero 7; works like a charm.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Sideloading that many apps, just to still not have a GPS - and have no guarantee that every one of those apps will actually work if there's no GPS available - is a lot of work ... to still have no GPS.

To be crystal clear: I'm not complaining. I understand that it's a $129 device. I'm just detailing my observations and thought process that will most likely result in returning it. If you're content with the extra work and still reduced functionality in exchange for the cost savings, then that is great. We are all lucky to have inexpensive devices like this available to us!

Sideloading that many apps, just to still not have a GPS - and have no guarantee that every one of those apps will actually work if there's no GPS available - is a lot of work ... to still have no GPS.

To be crystal clear: I'm not complaining. I understand that it's a $129 device. I'm just detailing my observations and thought process that will most likely result in returning it. If you're content with the extra work and still reduced functionality in exchange for the cost savings, then that is great. We are all lucky to have inexpensive devices like this available to us!
    Yep sounds like a budget Tablet is not for you, for the money it's outstanding. For the rest of the folks on here that like to tinker and who on this forum doesn't, or why are we on this forum in the first place? An extra 10 mins of sideloading apps is all it took me and is very much worth 10 mins of my time. That said though I own almost a dozen Andriod Tablets anyway, so I'm able to compare features from high-end Tablets like the Samsung Pro 12.2 /64GB down to the Sero. They all have their own merits, it comes down to mostly price vs features you are willing for pay for. Plugging the Sero into my desktop and sideloading some apps takes no more than 10mins and is simple, painless and is designed to do that; but to each his own. You get what you pay for, they are bargins usually for a good reason. Have fun, it's just a Tablet.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

It takes 10 minutes to find/get all the APKs for all those apps, download them, MD5 check them (or not), and load them? Color me skeptical. Maybe if you already have another tablet that has them all loaded (and you're rooted?) and you can just pull them from there.

Anyway, I don't have a tablet in order to tinker with tablets. I have one (currently) that has mostly replaced my laptop plus enhanced my capabilities with its portability (compared to a laptop). So, yeah, I need it to WORK and without having to hook it up to a PC every time I discover a new app that I want to use. Location services have caught on pretty well already, but I suspect the uses will keep ramping up, so as we go forward, having built-in GPS will just become more important, not less.

I do tinker when I need to in order to accomplish some other purpose - like being rooted in order to run full backups, but tinkering so that Google Play will still download movies for offline viewing, etc.. Or getting Play Music to store downloaded music to the SD card. But, I don't want to tinker just to work around stuff that I could've had solved by spending a little more money on the hardware.

It takes 10 minutes to find/get all the APKs for all those apps, download them, MD5 check them (or not), and load them? Color me skeptical. Maybe if you already have another tablet that has them all loaded (and you're rooted?) and you can just pull them from there.

Anyway, I don't have a tablet in order to tinker with tablets. I have one (currently) that has mostly replaced my laptop plus enhanced my capabilities with its portability (compared to a laptop). So, yeah, I need it to WORK and without having to hook it up to a PC every time I discover a new app that I want to use. Location services have caught on pretty well already, but I suspect the uses will keep ramping up, so as we go forward, having built-in GPS will just become more important, not less.

I do tinker when I need to in order to accomplish some other purpose - like being rooted in order to run full backups, but tinkering so that Google Play will still download movies for offline viewing, etc.. Or getting Play Music to store downloaded music to the SD card. But, I don't want to tinker just to work around stuff that I could've had solved by spending a little more money on the hardware.
    To recap what I previously posted, a Budget Tablet is not for you then, not sure why you would buy a Budget Tablet without GPS IF that features is so important to you; Sero's never had GPS, it relies on the WiFi connection for that info. Other than you just wanted to play and do a review on this which looks like it's going to be at Wal Mart's expense since you intent to return it from day one but want to play with it up until the no return point; a bit unethical if you ask me, but hey everyone is different. Best of luck to you, you'd be better off sticking with Samsung or Nexus Tablets.

Sero's never had GPS, it relies on the WiFi connection for that info.
    The Sero 7 Pro has GPS. It is not listed in the specs on the Hisense website but it has GPS and works very well.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by kernmal View Post
    The Sero 7 Pro has GPS. It is not listed in the specs on the Hisense website but it has GPS and works very well.

Where did you get that idea from?? it does not.

Where did you get that idea from?? it does not.
    I have a Sero 7 Pro and the GPS works very well. It has NFC also.

If you doubt me, read the Android Central review for the Sero 7 Pro
    http://www.androidcentral.com/hisense-sero-7-pro-review

Edit: These pics of the Sero 7 Pro show the GPS antenna
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2298328

Last edited by kernmal; 06-26-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Hisense Sero 7 Pro Review | Android Central

Cracking Open - Hisense Sero 7 Pro - xda-developers

Just like facts mis-reported for the Sero 8

Do this on your Sero 7 Pro, turn off WiFi, next open up google maps it will jus sit there and sit there, it has no idea where you are; then turn on & connect WiFi, presto it will show where you are. This is not based off an article, this is based on real world use of the Sero 7 Pro.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

To recap what I previously posted, a Budget Tablet is not for you then, not sure why you would buy a Budget Tablet without GPS IF that features is so important to you; Sero's never had GPS, it relies on the WiFi connection for that info. Other than you just wanted to play and do a review on this which looks like it's going to be at Wal Mart's expense since you intent to return it from day one but want to play with it up until the no return point; a bit unethical if you ask me, but hey everyone is different. Best of luck to you, you'd be better off sticking with Samsung or Nexus Tablets.
    I did not intend to return this tablet. I intended to try it and return it if it didn't meet my needs. Before I bought it, I did a Google search and read every review that I could find - which were almost none. None of them stated that it did not have a GPS.

Funny anecdote: A friend of mine bought a new tablet this week. Before he bought it, he asked me for recommendations. I suggested the G Pad 8.3, the Note 10.1 or the Note Pro 12.2. He looked up the specs and none of them mentioned having a GPS. That was a requirement for him... so he bought an iPad Air.

The point being, it is not unusual for a tablet to have a GPS and the specs not mention it. OTOH, I have never seen specs that tell you things the device does NOT have. So, with no reviews to tell me, my only real option was to buy it and try it. Further, even if I had known it did not have a GPS, I might have bought it (with the intent to keep it) anyway. As I said earlier, I never would have guessed all the apps that (apparently) won't install because of the lack of a GPS. Maybe not realizing in advance that Yelp and USA Today and The Weather Channel wouldn't even install on a device without a GPS means I'm stupid. You are free to think so.

So, no, I did not buy it with the intention of doing a review and then returning. But, thanks for your condescension and thanks for judging me based on incorrect ASSumptions. Preach to me some more about ethics! Please!

BTW, what was the actual point of your last post? Did you think you were answering a question I asked in the post you quoted? Did you think you were communicating new info about the Sero 8? Did you think the status of GPS in prior Sero tablets was relevant to this thread? Or was it just to preach about ethics? Just curious.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

ps. I DID post this review for the purpose of helping other people decide if they want this tablet or not without having to buy it and try it themselves. I hope that will save Walmart more money than it costs them if I return this one. Even though it won't even remotely register on their budget, I don't WANT to cost Walmart or anyone else money for no reason.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Hisense Sero 7 Pro Review | Android Central

Cracking Open - Hisense Sero 7 Pro - xda-developers

Wha, wha, WHAAAT?!?! No way! Joe Barry says it does not and the HiSense specs page doesn't mention it. so it must not!

Do this on your Sero 7 Pro, turn off WiFi, next open up google maps it will jus sit there and sit there, it has no idea where you are; then turn on & connect WiFi, presto it will show where you are. This is not based off an article, this is based on real world use of the Sero 7 Pro.
    Is that possibly because Google Maps relies on a Internet connection? Just maybe? Unless, of course, you have the latest version of Maps which allows you to do offline map caching and you have already cached the maps for where you are. Of course, the Sero 8 won't update to Maps beyond version 7.5, which does not have the offline caching feature. At least, my Sero 8 won't. But, maybe the 7 Pro would - especially if it has a GPS.

I'm sorry that this thread was hijacked.

You are displaying incredible ignorance and I probably will not be able to convince you ever.

Settings>Location Access> Toggle Access to my location and then check GPS satellites

Download GPS Test from the Play Store. Try it.

Initial GPS lock can take up to 15 minutes. Moat GPS systems on Android make use of AGPS. When connected to the internet ( via Wifi) the device can download AGPS data which speeds up initial lock.

In GPS Test, go into settings and click update AGPS Data. Turn off Wifi. You should be able achieve initial lock within a few minutes. GPS Test will show you which satellites are in view. And it does work without Wifi.

Oh yeah, the back of the Sero 7 Pro box clearly shows GPS as a feature.

I am done here. I will not reply again.

Apologies to the OP, the initial review of the Sero 8 is much appreciated.

StuartV likes this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

No worries, Kernmal! Thanks for the info! If you listen carefully, you might even be able to hear me laughing from here!

Additional observation about the Sero 8:

The Email (not Gmail) app seems to have at least one bug. Example:

- I receive an email (in one of my Exchange Inboxes).
    - The Sero shows a new mail notification icon at the top of the screen.
    - I tap the Email icon on my homescreen, which takes me into a Combined View of both my Exchange Inboxes (work and personal).
    - The new email does not show there.
    - The only way I seem to be able to get it to show the new email at that point is to, either, tap the notification, which takes me directly into the specific Inbox where that message is - which has the undesired side effect of taking me out of Combined View. OR, I can manually switch to one Inbox or the other, then back to Combined View and it will update.

The Email app on my Note 10.1 will update/refresh the Combined View if I just touch a message and drag down as if I'm attempting to scroll past the end of the message list. Email on the Sero 8 does not does this.

Funny anecdote: A friend of mine bought a new tablet this week. Before he bought it, he asked me for recommendations. I suggested the G Pad 8.3, the Note 10.1 or the Note Pro 12.2. He looked up the specs and none of them mentioned having a GPS. That was a requirement for him... so he bought an iPad Air.

The point being, it is not unusual for a tablet to have a GPS and the specs not mention it. OTOH, I have never seen specs that tell you things the device does NOT have. So, with no reviews to tell me, my only real option was to buy it and try it. Further, even if I had known it did not have a GPS, I might have bought it (with the intent to keep it) anyway. As I said earlier, I never would have guessed all the apps that (apparently) won't install because of the lack of a GPS. Maybe not realizing in advance that Yelp and USA Today and The Weather Channel wouldn't even install on a device without a GPS means I'm stupid. You are free to think so.
    Recommeding the Samsung Note Pro 12.2 is a very good recommendation, However as for checking specs, you say it doesn't mention it?? Where do you check specs? Try checking directly on Samsung's site, their specs certainly do show it has GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note ® Pro 64GB (Wi-Fi)
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Recommeding the Samsung Note Pro 12.2 is a very good recommendation, However as for checking specs, you say it doesn't mention it?? Where do you check specs? Try checking directly on Samsung's site, their specs certainly do show it has GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note ® Pro 64GB (Wi-Fi)
    Where did I say that I checked specs? I already knew it had a GPS.

My friend checked specs. I don't know where, but I imagine it was on the Verizon website, as he wanted to buy a VZW LTE model.

I'm sorry that this thread was hijacked.

You are displaying incredible ignorance and I probably will not be able to convince you ever.

Settings>Location Access> Toggle Access to my location and then check GPS satellites

Download GPS Test from the Play Store. Try it.

Initial GPS lock can take up to 15 minutes. Moat GPS systems on Android make use of AGPS. When connected to the internet ( via Wifi) the device can download AGPS data which speeds up initial lock.

In GPS Test, go into settings and click update AGPS Data. Turn off Wifi. You should be able achieve initial lock within a few minutes. GPS Test will show you which satellites are in view. And it does work without Wifi.

Oh yeah, the back of the Sero 7 Pro box clearly shows GPS as a feature.

I am done here. I will not reply again.

Apologies to the OP, the initial review of the Sero 8 is much appreciated.

You are correct you will never convince me, out side of getting GPS through WfFi which I already stated, it does NOT have GPS. Yes I have that app and a whole lot more and the Sero is istting right infront of me next to one of my Samsung's, want to guess which one has GPS w/o WiFi ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast