Bluetooth functionality in 2016 Accord EX w/ Galaxy Note 4 T-Mobile

bnewall1

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, first post in this forum! I hope someone sees it. :)

I just purchased a 2016 Honda Accord EX with the 2 screens. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on T-Mobile. The phone paired up with the car no problem, and for the most part, works fine. There are a couple of annoying quirks, though, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this. Previously, I had a 2002 Accord EX with an aftermarket Alpine CDE-149BT head unit that had Bluetooth.

1) When I initiate a call from the phone itself, it does not automatically put the call on Bluetooth. I have to hit the Bluetooth button on the phone, and even then, the car's display shows the call, but I still hear the radio (or whatever) while the phone is dialing, rather than hearing the progress. As such, I can't hear if it's ringing or busy, and also, when someone picks up, it takes a couple of seconds to "transfer" the call to the car's system. I didn't have that problem in my old car. If I initiate the call from the car's screen, or if I answer an incoming call using the car's controls, there's no problem.

2) I have the T-Mobile Voicemail app, and while I don't subscribe to Visual Voicemail, the app still downloads voicemail messages from T-Mobile and I can play them from the phone, even when offline. In my old car, when I would play one back, the radio would switch to Phone mode (as if I were making or answering a call), and I'd hear the voicemail play over the car speakers. This doesn't happen in the new car; I have to play the voicemail using the phone's speakerphone in order to hear it.

I'm still learning some of the ins and outs of the car's system, but these 2 things are particularly annoying, and I'm hoping there's a way around them. I haven't found it yet.

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Check with Honda and see if they have a Service Bulletin for the radio (which would include a firmware update). Matching phones to car radios is still hit and miss.