Which power saving mode do you use?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
By default it is set to SMART , but the savings seems marginal over no power save, and dis abling power save all together seems to make the phone more peppy.

uploadfromtaptalk1453438777292.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Using it on Normal.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
By default it is set to SMART , but the savings seems marginal over no power save, and dis abling power save all together seems to make the phone more peppy.

View attachment 214096

I would think if you are around a charger all the time you would just leave it off. Turn it on if you don't have access to a charger and are not going to be using it as much. That is just me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The estimates are dubious...

The only way you'll be able to determine which one works best is to run for a couple of full charges on both and use a battery monitoring tool to examine your active power drain (the amount of power you consume when the screen is on). That's really the only thing that's in play here. I am guessing that between the SMART and normal modes, the SMART is a little bit more aggressive is scaling down the frequency to match the load. So it'll be quicker to get your processor back down to its lowest usable clock rate (i.e. it changes the kernel's governor settings). The idle drain (screen off) difference is most likely negligible.