Anyone a little disappointed in the performance?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a wide range of phones, including low end ones like the Verizon Moto e 2nd gen (currently $39 at Walmart) and zte Zmax2 (currently $80 at bb and Walmart). Both of which use the snapdragon 410. The snapdragon 615 is supposed to be better performing than the snapdragon 410,however I am noticing that both lower specd devices performing better than the 5x. To be fair, both have 720p (1080p in the 5x) and the Moto e 2nd gen has 1gb ram which makes it slower to open apps when kicked out of memory. And obviously the 5x has a metal body and fps. But trying to focus on performance here.

These are not huge lags but they seem like random slowness which gets a bit annoying. The other devices have it too but not as bad.

I can't help but wonder if dropping the resolution to 720p would make it smoother.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I haven't really run into any derps that I don't expect... There GPU is underpowered for the resolution... But nothing that's all that chronic.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really run into any derps that I don't expect... There GPU is underpowered for the resolution... But nothing that's all that chronic.
That's the thing... Other phones seem to have less random slowdowns than this phone. I would expect that a $200 phone performs better than a $80 phone, not the opposite.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing... Other phones seem to have less random slowdowns than this phone. I would expect that a $200 phone performs better than a $80 phone, not the opposite.

Maybe I should pop in my SIM and run it as my daily for a little bit and see how things go. I can definitely feel the difference in grunt between the 615 in the Honor and the 810 in my 6P, but I expect that. As for day to day stuff, the only 'budget' phone I can compare it to is the Moto E (current gen) that I gave my kid... it is more or less similar. And yes, the Moto E is around 70 or 80 (unless you got that crazy $10 deal on BF like I did)... but the Honor does have a much larger, higher res screen.

If I had a 3rd gen Moto G handy, I'd be able to do more of a like for like. I am sure the G would feel more nimble, but we already know that. The G is more light on its feet than phones even twice its price.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I should pop in my SIM and run it as my daily for a little bit and see how things go. I can definitely feel the difference in grunt between the 615 in the Honor and the 810 in my 6P, but I expect that. As for day to day stuff, the only 'budget' phone I can compare it to is the Moto E (current gen) that I gave my kid... it is more or less similar. And yes, the Moto E is around 70 or 80 (unless you got that crazy $10 deal on BF like I did)... but the Honor does have a much larger, higher res screen.

If I had a 3rd gen Moto G handy, I'd be able to do more of a like for like. I am sure the G would feel more nimble, but we already know that. The G is more light on its feet than phones even twice its price.
Pretty much across the board every 615 device had problems . Either with sluggishness or with extremely poor battery life. I would think that an 800/801 chip wouldn't cost much more than the 615. Even if they had to raise the price a little.

The zf2 which is also $200 runs extremely smooth compared to its competitors.my droid mini which I got for $8 (although regular price is $108) runs way smoother than the 5x too, although that has a small 720p screen.

Personally I would rather have a 720p screen and more smoothness than a laggy 1080p screen.

Of course I am really bothered by random slowness, others might not be as bothered.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In terms of in-app performance, the Honor 5X runs fine.

I'm still big on Ingress and have found the GPS to be accurate. I've recently started playing a lot of Bloons Tower Defense 5 and the Honor 5X handles it just fine.

What does seem to trip up the 5X for me is multitasking. Even on "Normal" mode, it feels as though this device is too quick to kick apps out of memory.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely not pleased with the performance, its quite slow. In app is fine but launching apps can take forever and the UI has some lag here and there.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, mine is going back. Found it too laggy and inconsistent w finger sensor. Picked up a Nexus 5 for $140.00 yesterday refurbished and sending the Honor 5x back to Amazon. I guess it was not for me coming from a nexus 6p and lg g3.

Ian B

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have found the same.... It's fine in apps, but not so much with any multi tasking, but more specifically chrome is horrible! Also, emui uses the old Android 4.0 setup, as apposed to the 5.x style, which makes me wonder if that's part of the problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My experience is that things are most sluggish upon starting or waking the phone, which is probably because of Huawei's aggressive "kill all apps when screen is off to save battery" philosophy. Even if you protect as many apps as possible, I suspect there are apps and services that are being killed that the user doesn't have any control over. As a consequence, things are laggier upon waking, since apps have to cold-start. But once the phone has been running for a while, things seem to be a bit smoother.

As already mentioned, in-app performance is usually fine. Goat Simulator runs without a hitch, and I think that's fairly intensive.

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm finding the same, in app is good launching apps can be very laggy, also chrome lags a lot.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the blu vivo xl at launch for $100. In normal multi tasking it does an excellent job,something to consider, if performance is a main criteria for you. Of course the screen and build quality of the blu isn't as good as the h5x,and no fps.

Idle battery life on the blu is like 2% an hour... On the h5x, I can go several hours to reach 1%...

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I think the honor 5x is a great phone for the price point. But it does have some UI lag. It also seems to struggle with lollipops animation. That could be due to the lack of optimization

Mes3

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Performance is exactly what is expected of the 615/616.

I'm sending mine back because of the downloaded app icons being all mucked with. They don't even reflect what the theme preview shows. Such a weird oversight (or terrible design choice).

Sean Fanelli

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing because the 616 is fairly rare it's not very optimized, although I've had only random slow times and 3d games run perfectly

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Wow, I was kicking the idea around of buying this phone just to play with, but now after reading this, I think I might skip it.

I have seen good phones start out this way and I have to wonder if Marshmallow or a stock Android rom would solve it. I have a G3 as my daily driver and was not happy with LG's rom performance, so I installed a custom rom that transformed the phone and it fly's. I wouldn't expect this to be a solution for everyone, but for the price and what the hardware is capable of, might be worth it for me, as I do this all the time.

Trying to decide if this phone is a candidate for such a solution and if I want to spend my time on it. Boggles my mind how manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot. They make great hardware and all they need to do is install the latest stock Android and call it a day. Instead they think they can make better software and cripple the device. And honestly, with Android, this is the easiest part.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... I'll say this... I've never come across an OEM that is as open to the custom community as Huawei/Honor has been with the 5X. They are an active presence on XDA and are openly offering assistance to developers attempting to compile and get AOSP based ROMs running. You would NEVER see a Samsung rep on there pointing out where to get bootloader unlock codes and offering help to work through a kernel issue.

So that's a decent sized check in the pro column for me, at least.

Matt South

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
The only issue i am having is chrome randomly closing at times. Other than that, I can't say much bad about it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs