FYI: T-Mobile doesn't recognize IMEI as a phone

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI.

I'm currently using the Honor 5X with a T-Mobile SIM on the $30 Walmart prepaid plan ($30 for 100 minutes, unlimited text messages, and unlimited data with 5GB at 4G LTE speeds). When I signed up to activate the SIM in the Honor 5X, T-Mobile's systems did not recognize the 5X's IMEIs (plural, it has two since it's a dual SIM device) as a phone and insisted that it was a tablet.

Not wanting to be on a tablet plan, I used the IMEI from another device that T-Mobile recognized as a phone.

This will only affect you if you're trying to activate a new SIM/account. SIM swaps are fine.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's probably a little bit of an oversight. After all, the phone isn't techically available to the public yet.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I dunno. I am only guessing here, but they may not have the IMEI listings yet. "Tablet" might just be a generic bucket that they throw a number that they don't recognize.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.. technically the phone wasn't really available until, well, today I think... I'd let it set for a little bit before calling on the mob to get their pitchforks.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Aaaaah! Well, hope that does get sorted out quick or Honor 5X users are gonna get pissed...

It's only if you're trying to set up new service with a new SIM though. Swaps should be fine. The T-Mobile portal may show the Honor 5X as an Alcatel tablet. I forgot to take a screenshot before changing it to Unknown Device.

bpcooper14

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
This was an issue for the OPO when I was trying to set it up initially with cricket wireless. It didn't recognize the imei and some ppl had issues with activation on a new account. A previous compatible phone or (I could be wrong) entering all 9's as the number was a workaround that allowed some users to get their new phone up and running

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol