First Android phone: bad video streaming quality-how can I fix this?

kofman13

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
first android phone: bad video streaming quality

Hey all just got my first android phone and it's a huawei honor 5x. I have an iphone 6 but got this phone cheap to try out android for a month and return it. So far love android and I may get a flagship soon. but when using the Netflix, HBO go, and even youtube app, the quality keeps changing from unwatchable below 320p to grainy "standard definition". Sometimes it gets sharper but never full HD. Anyone else have this problem? Playback is perfect with Netflix on my iPhone 6 and iPad and also my ps4. I am trying to figure out of this is a poorly optimized android app thing, or is it just this crap $200 budget phone that doesnt have the CPU and GPU needed for fast and smooth video streaming? I think it could also maybe be that this phone can only connect to my 2.4ghz band WiFi because this phone doesn't have 5ghz. And speed test showing im only getting 2-3mbps on WiFi sometimes. video streaming seems to be better on LTE but still not HD most of the time, especially netflix. Want to figure out if this is an android thing, before i splurge on a S7 edge or something

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: first android phone: bad video streaming quality

Are you only using the phone on wi-fi? If so, it may be due to poor or erratic speeds on your home wi-fi--have you tried it on other wi-fi networks?

If you're also using it on LTE, then what kinds of download speeds are you getting there? If you're on LTE, are you on T-Mobile, and is Binge On turned on?

My Honor 5X streams video just fine on my wi-fi network (I use it for wi-fi only, no SIM inserted).