LTE Band frequency

AndroidUser192

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,
I recently purchased my 5x and i have some questions about the LTE bands.

I do apeedtests from time to time and sometimes i get 5 mbits, sometimes 10 and sometimes 40+
All of these results in the matter of a few minutes in the same house.
Until recently I did not know why this was, but now I understand it's because of the bands my phone switches between (3,7,40,41)

I wanted to know if there is a way to force or tell the phone to prefer one band to another, because even -115 dbm on band 40 is 5-7 times faster than band 3. If not, then Is there at least a way to check what band you're on, ive tried apps like LTE Discovery and they don't manage to tell me what band or frequency im on, and most of the USSD codes that should tell me this info don't work.

Jcblack3310

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,
I recently purchased my 5x and i have some questions about the LTE bands.

I do apeedtests from time to time and sometimes i get 5 mbits, sometimes 10 and sometimes 40+
All of these results in the matter of a few minutes in the same house.
Until recently I did not know why this was, but now I understand it's because of the bands my phone switches between (3,7,40,41)

I wanted to know if there is a way to force or tell the phone to prefer one band to another, because even -115 dbm on band 40 is 5-7 times faster than band 3. If not, then Is there at least a way to check what band you're on, ive tried apps like LTE Discovery and they don't manage to tell me what band or frequency im on, and most of the USSD codes that should tell me this info don't work.

The Honor 5x doesn't support any of those bands....

HonorUSA_Noah

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello AndroidUser192, the Honor 5X variant for the US is Model KIW - L24. This model is unlocked for US networks. Please check with your local carrier to see if the Honor 5X supports the frequency bands in your country. The frequency bands the Honor 5X (KIW - L24) supports in the US are:
FDD LTE/WCDMA/GSM FDD B2/B4/B5/B12/B17 UMTS B1/B2/B4/B5 GSM 850/900/1800/1900.
Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. (NS)

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
While it might be possible to force the phone to operate on the band of your choice, this would not be a good idea. You can tell the phone to prefer LTE over 3G, for example, but if you try and force the phone to only use a certain band, you will actually experience a decrease in connection quality. The phone is optimized to select a band based on signal strength and speed, and I would not recommend messing with that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While it might be possible to force the phone to operate on the band of your choice, this would not be a good idea. You can tell the phone to prefer LTE over 3G, for example, but if you try and force the phone to only use a certain band, you will actually experience a decrease in connection quality. The phone is optimized to select a band based on signal strength and speed, and I would not recommend messing with that.

Having personal experience with this... There are some areas where a certain band might provide significantly weaker signal but also significantly faster speeds than a band with a significantly stronger signal. This is an advanced feature though, if it existed. Most shouldn't touch it