Honor 8 Report 8-18-2016: Custom ROMS, TWRP, root, and more! (AMA)

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
As excited as I am about stock Huawei features like fingerprint sensor gestures, I and many others are also very excited for the possibility of going further than what Huawei intended. Here is a rundown of my estimates and thoughts on customization available for the Honor 8.

Root
Root has been achieved on other Honor devices like the Honor 5X, so I am of the opinion that it is only a matter of time before the Honor 8 will get root. It may be sooner than you expect, as I have news from another developer that progress is going very smoothly...

TWRP (and other custom recoveries)
The official Honor website for a bootloader unlock is down, so you may have to turn to a third-party bootloader unlock code or contact customer support (not fun). Nevertheless, I fully expect custom recoveries to be on the Honor 5X to be available by the end of September.

ROMs
With active developer support from sites like XDA and, of course, Android Central, custom ROMs are definitely going to happen. Huawei has already released the kernel sources for the Kirin chips, so it is only a matter of time before the ROMs debut.

In the meantime, the EMUI theming engine is quite powerful, and I would definitely recommend trying it out to anyone who plans to remain on stock (as I do, for Android Pay). Comment what you would most like to see in terms of developer support for the Honor 5X!

As always, please feel free to ask me anything about anything. (Even non-tech related stuff, but preferably within the topic range of this thread) ^_^

note: today's edition of the Honor 8 report may have seemed a bit rushed, or short. This is because, unfortunately, my wi-fi went down while I was writing it, and I forgot to make a backup... I'll make it up with a special edition report tomorrow, so stay tuned!

-Lumi Valo

samix

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
That's great news. I checked out the XDA forum for the 5X and it looks pretty busy, lots of ROMS available. The Cyanogenmod thread has a quarter million views! Probably safe to say that kind of development will follow the Honor 8.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
That's great news. I checked out the XDA forum for the 5X and it looks pretty busy, lots of ROMS available. The Cyanogenmod thread has a quarter million views! Probably safe to say that kind of development will follow the Honor 8.
My point exactly. Huawei is set to overtake Samsung and maybe even Apple by the end of 2030 (based on my personal analysis of growth rate, user count, market share, and stocks), so I am really excited to see what will come next!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My point exactly. Huawei is set to overtake Samsung and maybe even Apple by the end of 2030 (based on my personal analysis of growth rate, user count, market share, and stocks), so I am really excited to see what will come next!
I hope so! More competition is better for the consumer!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But will they overtake in markets that are more relevant to the average Android Central user?

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Honor phones are an awesome effort so far.
It's a tough market though.
Strong out of the gate doesn't always mean long winded.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
But will they overtake in markets that are more relevant to the average Android Central user?
As people get more familiar with Huawei and zte, they will feel more comfortable with them. If they push out quality products at cut rate pricing then I think people would move in that direction.

Think about it... 6 years ago Samsung was a nobody in the smartphone business.

In 14 years the market could change a lot.