Honor 8 Tech Specs Discussion

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
That Kirin 950 chip looks nice, but how will it stack up against the Snapdragon 820 in the OnePlus 3, a similarly-priced phone?
Are those 4 gigabytes of RAM enough to power all your apps?
What do you think about that dual camera? Gimmick or innovation?
The fingerprint sensor is rumored to be on par with that of the Samsung Galaxy s7, do you think this is true?

Voice your opinion on these and more as we delve into the discussion about the technical specifications of the Honor 8!

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I think the tech should be fine. I love the idea of the cameras, it sounds like it's going to be pretty awesome. I'm not a gamer, so I'm hoping it will finally hit that sweet spot that I've been seeking. Based on what I hear about the fingerprint scanner in the Nexus 6p, I am not surprised and I think it will be on the same level, if not around it at least.

samix

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad they didn't skimp on the RAM. The processor looks to be comparable to the Snapdragon 820 but the weak link might be the GPU in the Honor 8. All the videos I've seen for the Honor 8 look like it has a tough time with complicated graphics or games, I'm not a huge gamer though.
Fingerprint reader looks fast and is even more useful that it can be used as a button, double click to open camera?! sweet!

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Fingerprint reader looks fast and is even more useful that it can be used as a button, double click to open camera?! sweet!
Having that functionality actually makes me want to consider bothering with it, because that is just too cool. I don't even normally care for the whole fingerprint thing.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm sold on fingerprint scanners after having the numerous functions on my h5X under EMUI 4.1.
Absolutely must have feature now after having experienced it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Reviews so far seem to be really good. Camera looks nice (not s7 level, but still good none the less), and 4gb of ram is a welcome edition on a "mid range" device. Seems to be very smooth, and not a huge fan of the UI, but can always throw Nova on it.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
With the 8 including OTG, USB C (3.0 I hope), NFC and the IR blaster this will be a major step up from the 5X for me...

I do kind of wish the IR modules had a better angle for aiming.
My G4 is handy yet having to hold the phone somewhat flat makes hitting the target receiver a little awkward.

kissbalazs

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I think the Kirin 950 is a good Soc, but the Snapdragon 820 is faster mainly the IGP. If you compare Honor 8 with OnePlus3, the specs of OnePlus 3 is better I think, but the lack of the microSD card slot is a big deficiency. But the performance depends on the optimization too, so if somebody wants to decide between them, he/she sould try them before the deal.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Reviews so far seem to be really good. Camera looks nice (not s7 level, but still good none the less), and 4gb of ram is a welcome edition on a "mid range" device. Seems to be very smooth, and not a huge fan of the UI, but can always throw Nova on it.
Yeah, and the EMUI theme engine is really good so you can really customize it the way you want

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
With the 8 including OTG, USB C (3.0 I hope), NFC and the IR blaster this will be a major step up from the 5X for me...

I do kind of wish the IR modules had a better angle for aiming.
My G4 is handy yet having to hold the phone somewhat flat makes hitting the target receiver a little awkward.
Yeah, I've found that some phones are better in terms of angling for IR than others, i.e. the LG Volt

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I think the Kirin 950 is a good Soc, but the Snapdragon 820 is faster mainly the IGP. If you compare Honor 8 with OnePlus3, the specs of OnePlus 3 is better I think, but the lack of the microSD card slot is a big deficiency. But the performance depends on the optimization too, so if somebody wants to decide between them, he/she sould try them before the deal.
I'm wondering if adoptable storage will be a thing on the Honor 8, as many major PEMs are ignoring it for whatever reason

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the RAM and storage is sufficient, the only thing hardware wise that concerns me is the CPU. However, if the architecture is along the lines of a higher end SD, it should be fine.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I think the RAM and storage is sufficient, the only thing hardware wise that concerns me is the CPU. However, if the architecture is along the lines of a higher end SD, it should be fine.

I agree with you.

I think it will be very interesting to see how this phone performs since it is one that does have the OEM's own processor in there, which is very uncommon.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the Kirin chip is made by HiSilicon (Huawei)
That's what I mean, unlike most of the phones out here that have Qualcomm processors. I see it kind of like how Microsoft has made their hardware and software together, and how Apple does the same thing.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I believe the Kirin chip is a fine nano-meter process chip.

From what I know about IC manufacturing the tinier the die components then more options can be placed on a processor.
The big deal for chip makers is shrinking components down and getting them to use less power and keeping them running cooler.

Once Kirin chips hit the 14nm-fet level watch out Qualcomm and Exynos!
None of this matters though just as long as the phone runs fast and smooth with those 8 cores right?
:)

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
That's what I mean, unlike most of the phones out here that have Qualcomm processors. I see it kind of like how Microsoft has made their hardware and software together, and how Apple does the same thing.
Ah, I see. I do think that OEMs should make their own components, if they can. Apple doesn't make chips, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy